V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Dec 14, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #151 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Val, whats the warranty time on these again? The cable on mined got screwed at the jack, the metal is showing. Currently its protected with black tape, but this is just not right, cables of headphones designed for portables should not get quickly damage with pocket use.

ive had the vibes for about one week. im gonna agree with malos on the poor jack design. sharp metal ring rubbing against rubber wire? who's idea was that!? i noticed yesterday the right channel cutting in and out much like er6i did before it stopped working completely. it seems to be ok now, but my confidence in these lasting even a few months is falling fast. perhaps a right-angled jack would be better?

also, would it have been too much to include a little piece to zip the loose wires up to my neck? or a clip or something? these tend to get yanked on and im having to reposition them in my ear more often than id like. anyone have suggestions?

i still do love em. the sound, size, looks, build quality is great! the durability, however, is questionable.

Dec 14, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #153 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by theDank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...sharp metal ring rubbing against rubber wire? who's idea was that!? i noticed yesterday the right channel cutting in and out... ... a right-angled jack would be better?

also, would it have been too much to include a little piece to zip the loose wires up to my neck?

Maybe V-moda will hear your suggestions before they are available in my area
lambda.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #155 of 1,475
Quote:

Val, whats the warranty time on these again? The cable on mined got screwed at the jack, the metal is showing. Currently its protected with black tape, but this is just not right, cables of headphones designed for portables should not get quickly damage with pocket use.

uh oh. this kinda makes me NOT want to buy these now.
blink.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #156 of 1,475
uraflit - add to that reality factor - i also broke audiojack on my first laptop, same thing with my first headphone amp, same thing with my echo indigo io...adjust for the fact that i am the one using things basically
biggrin.gif
although if u r as bad at it as me, ya, that can be a drawback.

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #157 of 1,475
Quote:

uraflit - add to that reality factor - i also broke audiojack on my first laptop, same thing with my first headphone amp, same thing with my echo indigo io...adjust for the fact that i am the one using things basically
biggrin.gif
although if u r as bad at it as me, ya, that can be a drawback.

haha. i guess i take care of my stuff "better"... i hope when i buy these that i wont be disappointed in the durability!

Dec 14, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #158 of 1,475
i use mine just about everyday - or i should say every night since i go to sleep with them in - and have had no issues. but then my use isn't as rigorous as in and out of a pocket while commuting. i can see how issues arise. seeing no flexible strain relief and the wire going up against the metal plug gives me pause. i'm considering putting some heatshrink around the plug and about a 1/4" of the wire to give it some support. that should greatly reduce potential problems.

Dec 14, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #159 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm considering putting some heatshrink around the plug and about a 1/4" of the wire to give it some support. that should greatly reduce potential problems.

that sounds like a great idea. thx a bunch! im try that today.

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #160 of 1,475
I just got a pair (flashback chrome), they're very nice.

Just wondering (might be a noob question), but what other tips are compatible with these? I'm havin trouble deciding which size of the ones that it came with fit me best.

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #161 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh oh. this kinda makes me NOT want to buy these now.
blink.gif

I have the chromes and the wire is covered with a plastic/rubber sheath unlike the gunmetals which i think are a soft material based sheath. With rubber i cant see how the metal rings would cut into the wires with this setup, maybe its best to order the chromes if this is an issue with you.

True, my pair came faulty from the factory, but i gather they have had very little returns out of thousands sold (like 3).

My new pair are winging there way to me in the uk on a bed of silver cable. Vmoda offered great CS and couldnt have done more to resolve the issue.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #163 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which color do you guys think is best looking?

They both look very good. GuntmetalGray matches a black iPod, FlashblackChrome matches a white iPod. I'm a black iPod Video guy so i went with GunmetalGray. No regrets. It looks rather nice.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #164 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by barrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair (flashback chrome), they're very nice.

Just wondering (might be a noob question), but what other tips are compatible with these? I'm havin trouble deciding which size of the ones that it came with fit me best.

a previous poster mentioned that super.fi tips fit perfectly. i'm in the process of getting some super.fi foamies to try with my vibes. i'll report back how they work out.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #165 of 1,475
It would be interesting to know which color is affected most by the cable problems, chrome or gunmetal, the cables are different as far as I know. Aside from the sound, build quality and reliability were the main reasons I ordered the Vibes, and now this.

Will it void the warranty if I put some heatshrink around the plug, just to play it safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back