V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Jun 3, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #646 of 1,343
Quote:
A potential acquisition of the LCD-2/3 will also play well as it's 50 ohms.  

As far as I know they are rather power hungry, their simple impedance is a bit misleading. Did anyone test that combination?

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #647 of 1,343
Quote:
The thing that I do not understand is that people are testing this AMP/DAC with Cans "this AMP/DAC is not powerful enough to drive most cans out there", can you hear music out of them, sure you can, but not like a desktop AMP/DAC "which most cans are designed for", this AMP/DAC was designed for PORTABLE use "IEM'S", and I don't see many people on the go with CANS on their heads "and the ones I do see look ridiculous, well to me that is". All the reviews I am seeing here is mostly with cans, only one review that I have seen with IEM'S is from Steve Guttenberg, http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57587030-47/v-modas-outrageously-sweet-portable-dac-and-headphone-amp/

Your arbitrary use of quotes here forced me to read this like 6 times to make sure I was understanding you!
eek.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #648 of 1,343
Quote:
So the max file resolution the Verza can output is 16/44? Is that the same as the maximum on the IPhone 5 via a digital connection? Can the Galaxy S3/S4 output a higher resolution than that?

I was quite interested in this amp but I gotta admit, if that's the maximum output, then it's lost some of its appeal and supposed versatility in my eyes

The 16/44 output has made me look elsewhere too, as 75% of my music is 24bit...there's always one thing that's off for me in portable.
I'd have bought the AK100 had it not been for the output impedance(and correcting it with a mod at extra cost is not ideal).
However it seems like the Vamp Verza is a great device with many good features for the money.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #649 of 1,343
Quote:
The 16/44 output has made me look elsewhere too, as 75% of my music is 24bit...there's always one thing that's off for me in portable.
I'd have bought the AK100 had it not been for the output impedance(and correcting it with a mod at extra cost is not ideal).
However it seems like the Vamp Verza is a great device with many good features for the money.

You might want to try SounDroid Typhoon from VentureCraft. An upcoming DAC/Amp from the company that make Verza for Vmoda. It's can handle up to 32bit/192kHz and also 64DSD. Price in japan is about 500 USD.

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #652 of 1,343
Quote:
You might want to try SounDroid Typhoon from VentureCraft. An upcoming DAC/Amp from the company that make Verza for Vmoda. It's can handle up to 32bit/192kHz and also 64DSD. Price in japan is about 500 USD.

It's not the Verza itself though that only does 16/44, is it? That's the limitation of the iPhone and of Andriod, isn't it? Even in USB dac mode on Andriod the kernel limits it to 16/44, doesn't it? I thought that was the big point behind rooting and implementing VooDoo Sound on the Anriods with Wolfson DACs, to get 24/192 output support, wasn't it?

If it is the Verza that's limited to 16/44 on both OSs then that's another strike against it, besides the $700 amp+metallo insaneo price tag! Man that slim, matching form factor is nice though...

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #653 of 1,343
Quote:

It's not the Verza itself though that only does 16/44, is it? That's the limitation of the iPhone and of Andriod, isn't it? Even in USB dac mode on Andriod the kernel limits it to 16/44, doesn't it? I thought that was the big point behind rooting and implementing VooDoo Sound on the Anriods with Wolfson DACs, to get 24/192 output support, wasn't it?

If it is the Verza that's limited to 16/44 on both OSs then that's another strike against it, besides the $700 amp+metallo insaneo price tag! Man that corm factor is nice though...

Yes, it's the limitation of the OS. The DAC itself can handle more than that.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #655 of 1,343
The Soundroid has a larger capacity battery BUT, on the other hand, firmware updates need to go back to Japan instead of the US (I'm assuming V-Moda can do firmware upgrades on the Verza) and there is no Metallo case integration.  

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #656 of 1,343
The Metallo case and Verza docking system is a great asset, I'm not a fan of rubber bands.
If there was a way past the 16/44(using Galaxy phone) limit I'd be all over the Verza like a fat kid on cake.

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #657 of 1,343
The limitation of processing 24/96 is definitely not applicable to the Galaxy S3 (at least in my experience) ...I have 24/96 files all over my device and through Poweramp they play absolutely fine...When I had an Apex Glacier, the 24/96 files played out perfectly, no downsampling...I'm looking to buy one of these as a grad gift for myself before I start work, but I really can't afford $600...so if anyone on here gets tired of theirs, please shoot me a PM.

Kojaku

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #658 of 1,343
Quote:
The Metallo case and Verza docking system is a great asset, I'm not a fan of rubber bands.
If there was a way past the 16/44(using Galaxy phone) limit I'd be all over the Verza like a fat kid on cake.

On the iDevice side, 16/44 is the limit from iOS but, for PC side, it's the limit of the DAC chip itself. This is based on the information from Go-Dap X. They used PCM2902C which is 16/48 DAC chip.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #660 of 1,343
Anything for us windows phone users??? The Lumia 928 is a beautiful new handset and along with its predecessors is gaining steam in the smart phone community. Seems there are currently like 4 cases for us on the market. Why not set the bar??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back