V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #466 of 1,343
Quote:
What happens while listing to music And you get a phone call. 
CAn u answer the call and speak to caller??

You can hear the incoming call, but to answer, you need to remove the headphone from Verza and quickly place directly in the phone jack.  This is an issue with every headphone amp I know of, not just Verza.  Since Apple licensing is included in the price and a line-out is used, I would be curious to understand the technical reason why there isn't a workaround to answer calls directly through Verza.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #467 of 1,343
Ok that is the same as the dap x I have 

thanks 

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #468 of 1,343
The fiio L11 line out for ipod/iphone, is it a dac as well inside it? And if so will it be better than the one inside the device?

If it isnt a dac inside it with just filterless audio going thru it, will it olay straight to the headphones better?

Im asking this because (i think) drsheep said that without a dac going out of a usb connection from a macbook, will it still use the internal dac inside of the macbook if no dac is present? So in relation to the idevices is it same? Why or why not?

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #469 of 1,343
The fiio L11 line out for ipod/iphone, is it a dac as well inside it? And if so will it be better than the one inside the device?

If it isnt a dac inside it with just filterless audio going thru it, will it olay straight to the headphones better?

Im asking this because (i think) drsheep said that without a dac going out of a usb connection from a macbook, will it still use the internal dac inside of the macbook if no dac is present? So in relation to the idevices is it same? Why or why not?

looks like you're a little lost. assuming you have an iphone, these are your options:
  • --(okay) with no external amp: internal audio file stored on iphone is retrieved --> internal DAC converts file from digital to analog --> internal amp amps the signal/song/file out to the headphone output on top of phone --> headphones
  • --(better) with external amp: internal audio file stored on iphone is retrieved --> internal DAC converts file from digital to analog --> internal amp amps the signal/song/file out to the headphone output on top of phone --> signal/song/file is sent to another amp that then reamps the signal --> headphones
  • --(best) with Line Out Dock (LOD) and external amp: internal audio file stored on iphone is retrieved --> internal DAC converts file from digital to analog --> phone detects amp plugged into the LOD and sends the signal/song/file through the LOD (FiiO L series) --> signal/song/file is received from the external amp and is then amplified --> headphones
when you plug an amp into a macbook by USB, it is the same as above except the macbook's internal DAC is bypassed. PLEASE, anyone correct me if I am also wrong, but I'm 99.9% sure I have it down.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #470 of 1,343
looks like you're a little lost.assuming you have an iphone, these are your options:frowning2:okay) with no external amp: internal audio file stored on iphone is retrieved --> internal DAC converts file from digital to analog --> internal amp amps the signal/song/file out to the headphone output on top of phone --> headphones(better) with external amp: internal audio file stored on iphone is retrieved --> internal DAC converts file from digital to analog --> internal amp amps the signal/song/file out to the headphone output on top of phone --> signal/song/file is sent to another amp that then reamps the signal --> headphones(best) with Line Out Dock (LOD) and external amp: internal audio file stored on iphone is retrieved --> internal DAC converts file from digital to analog --> phone detects amp plugged into the LOD and sends the signal/song/file through the LOD (FiiO L series) --> signal/song/file is received from the external amp and is then amplified --> headphoneswhen you plug an amp into a macbook by USB, it is the same as above except the macbook's internal DAC is bypassed.PLEASE, anyone correct me if I am also wrong, but I'm 99.9% sure I have it down.

That's one long write up, but of course the absolute best will be getting an external DAC / AMP like the VAMP / VERZA or a Fostex HP-P1.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #471 of 1,343
That's one long write up, but of course the absolute best will be getting an external DAC / AMP like the VAMP / VERZA or a Fostex HP-P1.

I'm not sure that would be the best for your money. if you intend to only use your iphone as a source, buying just an external amp like the e5 (lowest end) or the RSA Blackbird SR-71B (just about highest end) would be best. But if you want versatality, say, with a macbook, definitely the VAMP or HP-P1 or e17.
edit- I'm sure you know this, just trying to help out the takenlife guy.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #472 of 1,343
So I tried the verza on the dt880/250 over the weekend. I had to pretty much max out the volume on high gain to get it where I wanted. It was noisy at guitar center so that could have contributed. It sounded really good though.

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #473 of 1,343
Quote:
So I tried the verza on the dt880/250 over the weekend. I had to pretty much max out the volume on high gain to get it where I wanted. It was noisy at guitar center so that could have contributed. It sounded really good though.

o_O max out on high gain?  You really need to be careful with that.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #475 of 1,343
Ok a minor update: I finally got my female USB to male micro USB adapter so I can test more setup, and now I can officially report that try using the 30 pin or lightning to the micro USB charge port for iDevices, or hooking it up to the Zune HD (if anyone still happens to care) FAIL to connect to the VERZA in any mode.  So I guess the Zune is really out of the picture and the first device I confirm that it doesn't work with the VERZA.

Future plans: I will have a Nokia Lumia 920 coming later so I will do a quick test on it, and I am thinking about upgrading my iPhone 4S to a 5S later this year.  So I will be likely testing those and maybe a couple of Metallo cases too.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #477 of 1,343
Quote:
Still no word on if the Metallo will be made for the HTC One?

Who knows but I doubt it.  BTW, anyone of you tested the Cowon's with the VAMP / VERZA yet?

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #478 of 1,343
Quote:
Oh and what's so "all over the place" about Android audio over BT? I've been using it without issue with various devices for about three years (across four different phones). Android actually had proper BT track controls implemented before iOS did, though that's no achievement since the Sony dumb phone I had 5 years ago had the same.

The USB digital audio implementation's definitely a mess since it was only added natively on Jelly Bean (4.1) and some manufacturers even had their own implementation. A lot of phones don't even have JB yet or won't have the proper kernel/drivers even post-JB. Ultimately it'll be a more open approach but until then it's a messier one, kind of like the OS trajectory.

Simply meant that I had some problems and have heard the same from others. Bluetooth connecting with lossless working a bit so and so. Sorry if I came off a bit generally broad here - my own experience are mostly based on Samsung phones (up to Galaxy S2) and HTc phones.

I believe that some of it stems from the era before JB, it seems that so much got better with JB. Still, can't say I wouldn't mind them to include the USB audio feature for all phones... :)

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #479 of 1,343
Quote:
Who knows but I doubt it.  BTW, anyone of you tested the Cowon's with the VAMP / VERZA yet?

I have a J3 I could test. I'll let you know this weekend how that goes.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #480 of 1,343
Would be nice to have a case for the apple iPod Classic, I don't use a smart phone for music, looks like it's velcro or rubber bands are my current options, great products though, very inventive. Love the Vamp Verza !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back