V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #421 of 1,343
Quote:
I'm originally wrote this in the M-100 thread and I'm reposting this here.

The sound quality alone is not worth $600. What you're paying for when you buy a VERZA is a DAC/amplifier that works with both iDevices, newer Android phones, Windows phones and PCs. I haven't been able to test the VERZA through my phone since it is an older Android model and doesn't support USB out, but I did get to test it on my PC using the same files through USB out. There is a definite sound quality difference that is immediately noticeable, but it's not super dramatic since my phone already has a decent DAC + a little oomph via my cMoy. The difference isn't like how SPAM tastes compared to a New York Strip steak. It's more like how a plain cheeseburger tastes compared to a double cheeseburger with lettuce, tomatoes and onions.

Now VERZA sounds VASTLY superior to my onboard laptop sound card. It sounds like the difference between listening to a 96kps mp3 versus a FLAC file. When buying the VERZA, you're buying a multi-purpose device meant to be used as both an at home, on the go, and even automotive listening solution. When you consider that a USB DAC like the Dragonfly is $400 and is only compatible as a PC sound card, the VERZA is a steal. However, if all you want is a amp for your iPhone, then VERZA is a bit overkill. I suggest you try out the M-100 by itself to see it's enough for you and then pick up a FiiO amp if you really need some extra power or bass boost. Just don't expect miracles.

DragonFly is $250.  Your point still stands, just wanted to clear that up. :) 

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #422 of 1,343
Quote:

DragonFly is $250.  Your point still stands, just wanted to clear that up. :) 

Ah, yeah. Should have fact-checked myself. I was using the MSRP that Innerfidelity had for their sweepstakes. BUT, their sweepstakes included both the Dragonfly AND Sydney Interconnect which are $478 together. Thanks for correcting that!

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #423 of 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have to be a wee Hank wary of frequenting Head-fi.  On other forums, you might find yourself stalked or flamed; on this one, the ultimate danger is spending more money!  This place is like Facebook, only instead of liking things, you buy them.

So true lol.
Quote:
Ah, yeah. Should have fact-checked myself. I was using the MSRP that Innerfidelity had for their sweepstakes. BUT, their sweepstakes included both the Dragonfly AND Sydney Interconnect which are $478 together. Thanks for correcting that!

Well if you are throwing in the interconnects then all bets are off, so I didn't think that's fair but your point still stands.

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #424 of 1,343
I've seen this mentioned a couple times in passing but I think it's worth repeating for those considering the purchase that your headphones should be part of the criteria in your decision.  I'm still waiting for my verza, but my vamp made SIGNIFICANT improvements to my HD650. The 3D mode is great for those cans as it adds a bit of sparkle and tightens up the bass a little.

as DrSheep has pointed out, your iems may not get a lot of mileage (although the 3D may be good for some), but harder to drive cans like the HD650 (and in my case, the Beyerdynamic 770/80, HD700, and HE-500) all go up at least one, if not two, notches.  For example, the Beyers are driven well and tightly by the vamp.

$600 worth? Only the buyer can decide. $600 can mean vastly different things to different people, but if you have the money, the vamp and verza are both solid products that offer a lot for the buck. I'm looking forward to my verza so that I can use it with more than my phone and with the upgrade price, it's a no-brainer.  Fwiw, I don't have money lying around but my ears are important enough to make the purchase.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #427 of 1,343
I need some advice for a good pc media player for use with verza.  I'm getting only slightly better sound with both windows media player and winamp after applying eq compared to my Samsung galaxy 3.  Would Jriver be any better?

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #428 of 1,343
Miceblue, I've often wondered the same thing.  In my case, the HD650 really improved significantly compared to any idevice headphone out that I have (iPhones, iPads, etc). It was also a reasonable improvement over an iBasso D4 with topflight kit connected to my ipad3.  It's not night and day, but enough to make me listen to the 650s and even the beyer 770/80 that, otherwise, wouldn't get any head time.

now, compared to my Schiit magni, the magni generally has a little more punch and certainly more volume.  But since I can't run around the house with it, the verza is the way to go for me.

ive ordered the verza knowing that it won't be a huge difference over the vamp, but the value to me is the bass boost and iPod classic compatibility.  Those are the two things missing from my vamp that I've wished it had.  I'm excited to be able to get those off my list.  I've also read in this thread that it brings the mids forward on the M-100, which will benefit my HD700.  All in all, the feature set seems to be a big gain in many areas.

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #429 of 1,343
Quote:
I need some advice for a good pc media player for use with verza.  I'm getting only slightly better sound with both windows media player and winamp after applying eq compared to my Samsung galaxy 3.  Would Jriver be any better?

JRiver, iTunes, or any of the alternatives will work.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #430 of 1,343
Quote:

SGS3 use Neutron (though Val supports Poweramp). Windows use Foobar2k. These are my opinions. On Windows, avoid iTunes. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #432 of 1,343
[size=small]I don't know if it has been mentioned in the previous 29 pages. But this Metalo case thing seems a bit strange to me. In the past iphone's had a huge problem with the original metal Element Vapor case. The signal strength of the iphone was reduced by a great margin due to the case that basically functioned as a faraday case. To overcome this problem the Vapor Pro case was released that included a ABS plastic part that covered the antenna of the Iphone. How does the all metal Metalo case cope with this problem?!?[/size]

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #433 of 1,343
Quote:
[size=small]I don't know if it has been mentioned in the previous 29 pages. But this Metalo case thing seems a bit strange to me. In the past iphone's had a huge problem with the original metal Element Vapor case. The signal strength of the iphone was reduced by a great margin due to the case that basically functioned as a faraday case. To overcome this problem the Vapor Pro case was released that included a ABS plastic part that covered the antenna of the Iphone. How does the all metal Metalo case cope with this problem?!?[/size]

Straight from V-MODA's iPhone 5 METALLO webpage:
Quote:
[size=10pt]Reception Friendly:[/size] Rigorously tested globally in North America, Europe and Asia to ensure call reception and data is acceptable or improved, in some instances speeds increase (results vary by phone, WiFi, Bluetooth and service provider networks as models are often localized)

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #434 of 1,343
Quote:

There are openings in the back where the antenna's are.  Shouldn't that allow for adequate signal?

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #435 of 1,343
I just got the metallo case for the iPhone 5. I am very disappointed. It has a huge flaw - you can't press the power button because it is so recessed! I had to use my finger nail. I can't beleieve this made it past production. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back