V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 22, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #302 of 1,343
Yesterday I got to play around with a VERZA at AC Gears in NYC. Since neither of my cell phones support USB audio out, I had to bring my laptop as a source. Set up was a snap. All I had to do was turn on the VERZA, plug it into my PC's USB port and Windows 7 automatically found the right drivers and within a minute I was up and running. I also had my portable stack there (Infuse 4G w/ Voodoo Sound double amped with a cMoyBB v2.03 feeding sonic bliss into a white M-100) to A-B test. The VERZA, like all V-MODA products I've encountered, is much smaller in person that it looks in photographs and was roughly the same size as my Infuse 4G, which is a 4.5-inch screen smartphone.

Songs used for test:
Eminem - I'm Not Afraid (FLAC)
Adele - Rolling in the Deep (Vinyl recorded FLAC)
Fun. - Some Nights (Vinyl recorded FLAC)
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (320kps mp3)
Taylor Swift - 22 (320kps mp3)
Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know (320kps mp3)
Girls' Generation - Genie (Tell Me Your Wish) (320kps mp3)

The most striking thing I noticed when pairing my M-100 with the VERZA was how it affected the mids. It's not a subtle, "Okay, the mids are more forward now," effect. VERZA takes the M-100's mids, which some consider laid-back, and puts them exactly where they need to be. It's not in-your-face or upfront or more pronounced. I mean, it is, but not in the way those words might convey. It takes the mids and it puts them exactly in the right place your ears would want mids to be. Does that make sense? I've always felt that the mastering of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" put her vocals too far back from the instruments, which all have a stronger presence in the mix. Listening to it on the VERZA was the first time I didn't get that feeling. Her voice was right there where I wanted it to be and I'm sure I left my mouth unhinged as my M-100 played it with a beating...

Bass, already a strong point of the M-100, became even more impactful, less boomy (not that it was very boomy to begin with) and had more control and a faster rate of decay. The difference wasn't as dramatic as the mids, but it changed the way nearly every song felt to me. Whereas my Infuse/cMoy usually elicits a foot-tap, the VERZA made me want to buy a drum set. The energy and verve of my music took on a whole new personality I can only describe as an auditory adrenaline rush. And, this is for Craigster, I barely had the volume knob turned past 30 degrees from OFF.

I think another reason why the mids and bass became so lively was because their clarity increased significantly. Going back and forth between the Infuse/cMoy and VERZA really revealed the limitations of my current hardware. It's not a night and day difference (and, in my experience, it never is) but it's certainly "cloudy with a chance of rain" versus "sweet sunshiny day." Because of the increased (amazing) clarity, soundstage and instrument separation also improved.

I have yet to mention treble because if you've heard the M-100's treble without VERZA, you've heard the M-100's treble with VERZA. While I don't agree with DrSheep's assessment that the treble "suffers" on the VERZA, it does seem to be neglected considering how dramatic the other two frequencies are presented. It was only a 20 minute listen, but I feel the VERZA is totally worth the $600 asking price. My time with it was pure auditory bliss and I will definitely buy one once my funds allow for me to splurge on such elegant technical extravagance.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #303 of 1,343
Yesterday I got to play around with a VERZA at AC Gears in NYC. Since neither of my cell phones support USB audio out, I had to bring my laptop as a source. Set up was a snap. All I had to do was turn on the VERZA, plug it into my PC's USB port and Windows 7 automatically found the right drivers and within a minute I was up and running. I also had my portable stack there (Infuse 4G w/ Voodoo Sound double amped with a cMoyBB v2.03 feeding sonic bliss into a white M-100) to A-B test. The VERZA, like all V-MODA products I've encountered, is much smaller in person that it looks in photographs and was roughly the same size as my Infuse 4G, which is a 4.5-inch screen smartphone.

Songs used for test:

The most striking thing I noticed when pairing my M-100 with the VERZA was the how it affected the mids. It's not a subtle, "Okay, the mids are more forward now," effect. VERZA takes the M-100's mids, which some consider laid-back, and puts them exactly where they need to be. It's not in-your-face or upfront or more pronounced. I mean, it is, but not in the way those words might convey. It takes the mids and it puts them exactly in the right place your ears would want mids to be. Does that make sense? I've always felt the the mastering of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" put her vocals too far back from the instruments, which all have a stronger presence in the mix. Listening to it on the VERZA was the first time I didn't get that feeling. Her voice was right there where I wanted it to be and I'm sure I left my mouth unhinged as my M-100 played it with a beating...

Bass, already a strong point of the M-100, became even more impactful, less boomy (not that it was very boomy to begin with) and had more control and a faster rate of decay. The difference wasn't as dramatic as the mids, but it changed the way nearly every song felt to me. Whereas my Infuse/cMoy usually elicits a foot-tap, the VERZA made me want to buy a drum set. The energy and verve of my music took on a whole new personality I can only describe as an auditory adrenaline rush. And, this is for Craigster, I barely had the volume knob turned past 30 degrees from OFF.

I think another reason why the mids and bass became so lively was because their clarity increased significantly. Going back and forth between the Infuse/cMoy and VERZA really revealed the limitations of my current hardware. It's not a night and day difference (and, in my experience, it never is) but it's certainly is "cloudy with a chance of rain" versus "sweet sunshiny day." Because of the increased (amazing) clarity, soundstage and instrument separation also improve.

I have yet to mention treble because if you've heard the M-100's treble without VERZA, you've heard the M-100's treble with VERZA. While I don't think DrSheep's assessment that the treble "suffers" on the VERZA, it does seem to be neglected considering how dramatic the other two frequencies are presented. It was only a 20 minute listen, but I feel the VERZA is totally worth the $600 asking price. My time with it was pure auditory bliss and I will definitely buy one once my funds allow for me to splurge on such elegant technical extravagance.

Can you give us a brief comparison between m-80 unamped and m-100 with verza? Expecially for the mids...

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #304 of 1,343
Quote:

Songs used for test:

The most striking thing I noticed when pairing my M-100 with the VERZA was the how it affected the mids. It's not a subtle, "Okay, the mids are more forward now," effect. VERZA takes the M-100's mids, which some consider laid-back, and puts them exactly where they need to be. It's not in-your-face or upfront or more pronounced. I mean, it is, but not in the way those words might convey. It takes the mids and it puts them exactly in the right place your ears would want mids to be. Does that make sense? I've always felt the the mastering of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" put her vocals too far back from the instruments, which all have a stronger presence in the mix. Listening to it on the VERZA was the first time I didn't get that feeling. Her voice was right there where I wanted it to be and I'm sure I left my mouth unhinged as my M-100 played it with a beating...

I think another reason why the mids and bass became so lively was because their clarity increased significantly. Going back and forth between the Infuse/cMoy and VERZA really revealed the limitations of my current hardware. It's not a night and day difference (and, in my experience, it never is) but it's certainly is "cloudy with a chance of rain" versus "sweet sunshiny day." Because of the increased (amazing) clarity, soundstage and instrument separation also improve.

I have yet to mention treble because if you've heard the M-100's treble without VERZA, you've heard the M-100's treble with VERZA. While I don't think DrSheep's assessment that the treble "suffers" on the VERZA, it does seem to be neglected considering how dramatic the other two frequencies are presented. It was only a 20 minute listen, but I feel the VERZA is totally worth the $600 asking price. My time with it was pure auditory bliss and I will definitely buy one once my funds allow for me to splurge on such elegant technical extravagance.

Thanks for the review SpiderNhan!  I'm really itching to pull the trigger on the VERZA and M-100 combo now.

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #305 of 1,343
great review , nice honest asessment.  Has anyone done an A/B test of verza and dap x.  i have the dap x and would like to know if it would be worth the purchase. in my listening the dapx is a improvement over the iphone 4s and 5 , but only with certain IEM,S i own. example the fitear tg 334 is great with out the dapx only a slight improvement with it. but with the jh 16 or um,s night and day.
sound changes accross the board bass is muddy and the clarity is effected as well . without an A/B test you wonder is it the song or something. then you add the dap x and all is good . Also the jh16 also is not its best with the dap x but good enough to go mobile.

i live in nyc and know where the store is too. if need be i will do the test.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #306 of 1,343
Quote:

Can you give us a brief comparison between m-80 unamped and m-100 with verza? Expecially for the mids...

I didn't have my M-80 on hand at AC Gears to really do a direct comparison, but I did take my M-80 out of hiding 2 days ago and spent the entire day with them. I can't say my listening time with them was unamped since I was using my Infuse/cMoy, but briefly speaking (and I mean briefly) the difference between the M-80 and M-100 is about as dramatic as the difference between M-100 and M-100 + VERZA.

M-80<M-100<M-100 + VERZA

I love the M-80, and I love its sound, but after spending so much time with the M-100 I feel that the M-80's more neutral frequency response has less soul in the way it renders music. For certain genres, I prefer the flatter sound, but musically the M-80 falls behind. The M-80 is closer to studio monitor i.e. audiophile preferred, than the M-100 which has been described both as a basshead can AND an audiophile-grade headphone, which depending on source and headphone experience, it is. I've come to realize that neutral is not my preferred sound signature and the music genres I usually listen to, pop/rock and kpop, benefit from a little bass emphasis and treble sparkle.

As for mids, the M-80 has always been praised for its mid presentation. If there's one thing I would like to improve on the M-100 sans VERZA, it' the mids. However, clarity, unamped or not, is clearly superior on the M-100 and in comparison the M-80 sounds a bit grainy. Not by a dramatic amount, in fact I didn't notice it until after spending months of primarily using the M-100, but it is certainly there. And because the VERZA makes the M-100 mids so much more present while also increasing the clarity, there really is no contest. I will see if I can make a  more in-depth comparison once I get my M-80 next to the VERZA.

Also consider this:
M-80 unamped - $150-$200
M-100 unamped - $300
M-100 + VERZA - $900

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #308 of 1,343
I didn't have my M-80 on hand at AC Gears to really do a direct comparison, but I did take my M-80 out of hiding 2 days ago and spent the entire day with them. I can't say my listening time with them was unamped since I was using my Infuse/cMoy, but briefly speaking (and I mean briefly) the difference between the M-80 and M-100 is about as dramatic as the difference between M-100 and M-100 + VERZA.

M-80<M-100
I love the M-80, and I love its sound, but after spending so much time with the M-100 I feel that the M-80's more neutral frequency response has less soul in the way it renders music. For certain genres, I prefer the flatter sound, but musically the M-80 falls behind. The M-80 is closer to studio monitor i.e. audiophile preferred, than the M-100 which has been described both as a basshead can AND an audiophile-grade headphone, which depending on source and headphone experience, it is. I've come to realize that neutral is not my preferred sound signature and the music genres I usually listen to, pop/rock and kpop, benefit from a little bass emphasis and treble sparkle.

As for mids, the M-80 has always been praised for its mid presentation. If there's one thing I would like to improve on the M-100 sans VERZA, it' the mids. However, clarity, unamped or not, is clearly superior on the M-100 and in comparison the M-80 sounds a bit grainy. Not by a dramatic amount, in fact I didn't notice it until after spending months of primarily using the M-100, but it is certainly there. And because the VERZA makes the M-100 mids so much more present while also increasing the clarity, there really is no contest. I will see if I can make a  more in-depth comparison once I get my M-80 next to the VERZA.

Also consider this:
M-80 unamped - $150-$200
M-100 unamped - $300
M-100 + VERZA - $900

Thanks for the answer,
in fact I own both M-80 and M-100. At first M-100 listen, I was instantly positively shocked by the bass quality and quantity but didn't like the evident midrange recession and the harshness of the low treble. I decided to give them some time and I used them for 3 months then switched back to M-80. I listen primarly to modern rock / alternative and some pop, Muse, Radiohead,... As of today I think M-80 do everything better apart from subbass. In comparison mids on the M-80 are very detailed and airy, M-100 mid bass is very recessed while the mid to high transition is quite fatiguing. Also the highs on M-80 are quite natural even if recessed. On M-100 low treble are boosted while the highest octave is more recessed than M-80, making them sounding unnatural and fatiguing to my ears. I asked you about verza and M-100 to see if verza addresses the shortcomings of M-100 from my point of view (I don't pretend to be an audiophile but a casual listener who likes good sound).

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #309 of 1,343
I would love to hear some reviews of how this amp sounds with other headphones besides V-MODA cans. I own the Sennheiser HD-25 II's and their sound is drastically different from the M-80 and M-100's. In fact, I really don't prefer the sound of V-MODA's headphones in the slightest bit. I do, however, think the design of the new Verza amp is extremely sexy.

Here's holding out for some more varied reviews!

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #310 of 1,343
Quote:
I would love to hear some reviews of how this amp sounds with other headphones besides V-MODA cans. I own the Sennheiser HD-25 II's and their sound is drastically different from the M-80 and M-100's. In fact, I really don't prefer the sound of V-MODA's headphones in the slightest bit. I do, however, think the design of the new Verza amp is extremely sexy.

Here's holding out for some more varied reviews!

Just received and charged Verza.  As a Vamp owner, my biggest concern was volume as I was listening to Vamp near the top end.  I am pleased to report my top-end listening is at about 60% or 2 o'clock volume.  Verza fixes just about every shortcoming of Vamp.  Bass boost is a welcome addition and just the right amount I anticipated.  I am listening with Ultrasone Signature DJs and feel the mids coming out more than through Vamp, perhaps due to the added power (even though power rating is similar, I am perceiving Verza about 30% louder at the same settings using high gain on both).  Bass is definitely highlighted on Verza moreso than Vamp, so this is not a neutral amp, but very enjoyable for bassheads.  I imagine with headphones that are bass light or more neutral, Verza would do a great job bringing out their low end and improving their sound.  As with all V-Moda products, Verza is great looking and solidly built with lots of accessories.

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #311 of 1,343
I have had the VERZA since MONDAY. It has very little effect with my SAMSUNG GALAXY 3. The phone must have a good DAC. The VERZA did improve my laptop sound. I can't use bass boost with usb. To be honest my music is mostly mp3's at 128 kbs. Maybe I need some lossy music to bring out the verza

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #312 of 1,343
Quote:
I have had the VERZA since MONDAY. It has very little effect with my SAMSUNG GALAXY 3. The phone must have a good DAC. The VERZA did improve my laptop sound. I can't use bass boost with usb. To be honest my music is mostly mp3's at 128 kbs. Maybe I need some lossy music to bring out the verza

You mean some "lossless" music.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #313 of 1,343
Quote:

With all due respect, but why would you pay $600 for a marketed high-quality DAC/amp when you use 128 kbps music files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back