V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #211 of 1,343
I see you are using the 30 pin. Have you tried using the lightning cable that came withe the iPod?

Ok I charged my VERZA and here is my first test drive of it with my iPod Touch 5th Gen with the M-100.  All I have to say is WOW, if the iPhone 4/4S with VAMP was great, than this new VERZA just takes the M-100 to a whole new level.  Listening to AKB48's "1830m" with the VERZA at 1/3 volume gives a much stronger base than normal, with the highs and mids remain quite clear.  EQ mode bring the sounds even more base, and EQ + 3D is just too much for me.  As of now I do prefer the sound of my old VAMP as it is more even sounding, however, the overall package and everything else the VERZA trumps the VAMP.  If I have to pick I think I would like the VERZA better, and given time I might grow custom to its sound.  Note that I definitely like the volume control on the VERZA better, as it is more solid (my VAMP's knob is a bit loose) AND you can turn your VERZA completely off with it without touching the toggle controls.  It will be my perfect setup if Val and V-MODA release more Metallo cases so I can retire those (given very nice) rubber bands.  Releasing a 90 degree angled cable for Apple Lightning connection, like what VentureCraft did, would be great too (naturally since the VERZA was derived from the GO-DAP X).

Test Setup

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #212 of 1,343
Quote:
I see you are using the 30 pin. Have you tried using the lightning cable that came withe the iPod?

No I haven't yet as it is in my car, but I doubt it will make a difference.  I will get it and do a quick test later.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #214 of 1,343
I used to use dual-lock, but my cousin recently discovered a system that can get the space down to 1mm or less. Put duct tape on the back of your mp3, then on the back of your amp. Add the TINIEST drops of super glue, and smack them together. Technically yes, super glue dries within a few seconds, but leave it overnight, trust me. Now I know what you're thinking, the super glue has no contact, it's made redundant because the first and only points of contact are the duct tape right ? I don't know how to explain it, but it's so so super strong. I've done it to 2 of my rigs, (ipod nano + fiioe6, ipod classic + fiio e11) and they're both tough as all hell. Plus, anytime you wanna take it apart, just slide a knife in between :) and, you're left with no messy super glue residue on your devices ! 

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #215 of 1,343
Quote:
I used to use dual-lock, but my cousin recently discovered a system that can get the space down to 1mm or less. Put duct tape on the back of your mp3, then on the back of your amp. Add the TINIEST drops of super glue, and smack them together. Technically yes, super glue dries within a few seconds, but leave it overnight, trust me. Now I know what you're thinking, the super glue has no contact, it's made redundant because the first and only points of contact are the duct tape right ? I don't know how to explain it, but it's so so super strong. I've done it to 2 of my rigs, (ipod nano + fiioe6, ipod classic + fiio e11) and they're both tough as all hell. Plus, anytime you wanna take it apart, just slide a knife in between :) and, you're left with no messy super glue residue on your devices ! 

I guess it depends on the person, but I'm really against putting adhesives on my electronic devices unless it's for rubber feet. I don't even use rubber bands to hold my rig together because that just look plain awkward.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #216 of 1,343
Quote:
I guess it depends on the person, but I'm really against putting adhesives on my electronic devices unless it's for rubber feet. I don't even use rubber bands to hold my rig together because that just look plain awkward.

How do you hold them together then?  Don't get me wrong.  I don't like the idea of using adhesives either.  

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #217 of 1,343
Quote:
Quote:

How do you hold them together then?  Don't get me wrong.  I don't like the idea of using adhesives either.  

Brute force with my hands. XD
I almost always keep the rig in my jean pocket, or if it's not in there my jacket pocket with my hand around the rig (with a Jailbroken iDevice, you can use Activator to control media playback with the volume buttons; having my hand around the rig for this purpose is actually quite handy.....ha pun).
It isn't all that bad, honestly. The worst thing about the rig is that the FiiO cable isn't very flexible/pliable, so it tends to rotate and/or lift my iPhone on/off the C5's rubber feet without any support.

Something like the METALLO is genius though since it can be switched out from a sturdy case to a holster for the VERZA.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #219 of 1,343
How come no one uses (or sells?) flat LOD cables, you would think that'd be a big thing by now...

Personally I'm still resisting the urge to get a portable amp for my IEM or M-80 so maybe I'm just blissfully unaware of some of the ergonomics, I'm sure I'll get there at some point tho. :p

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #220 of 1,343
Ok I finally able to test my VERZA with most of my gear and here are the foundings:

Setup

Songs:
AKB48 "River"
fripSide "Decade"
Puddle of Mudd "Blurry"

Sources:
iPhone 4S
iPod Touch 5th Gen
Zune HD
iTunes with AudioQuest DragonFly from my Alienware M18x R1

Headphone:
V-MODA M-100 with 1 button and BoomMicPro cables

Volume:
iTunes 100%
AudioQuest DragonFly 20%
VAMP 30-40% (can't be sure since there are no marks)
VERZA 30%, 100% in computer in USB-DAC mode

All iPhone, iPod, VAMP, and VERZA EQ and 3D mode OFF.

Test 1 - With and with out the 30 pin adapter for the iPod Touch 5th Gen: I can safely say that to the best of my ability that I detected no difference between the two given that the 30 pin adapter has a Wolfson DAC inside.  I can assume it is properly bypassed in this case.

Test 2 - iPhone 4S vs. iPod Touch 5th Gen with VERZA: I can also detected no difference in this case

Test 3 - VAMP vs. VERZA: as mentioned before the VERZA was tuned for the M-100 and it shows, and you can definitely tell that the VERZA gives off a much stronger base and mids but the high end suffers.  This is the one point I don't like about the VERZA as I think it is too far away from neutral even with EQ off.  It by no means sounded bad, but if you really care about neutral sounding high notes you might not like the VERZA.

Test 4 - DragonFly vs. VERZA in USB-DAC mode: this is where the VERZA get interesting, as the VERZA is even more bassy sounding than in iAMP mode.  Personally I considered the DragonFly gives off a very good neutral sound, so the difference here is even more striking.  This test could be an indication that USB-DAC mode users for computers or Android devices will notice more bass and mids compare to their iDevices counterpart given the same songs and settings.

Test 5 - Zune HD: failed as I forgot that I need to get an USB to micro USB adapter for it to be used in USB-DAC mode, so stand by for this one.

Future plan: I have a pair of Sleek-Audio SA7 coming so I will have to test that along with all my other IEMs.  As a quick note I did pair my VERZA with the Ferrari T350 and does make it sound better and more lively.  Since now I have the VERZA, I can finally send V-MODA another RMA request to have my VAMP updated again, and hopefully fix some of the issue I still have with it.  I hope this help to some of you that are on the fence about the VERZA, and my bottom line for you is that the VERZA is a great device as it does so much and compatible with almost everything.  However, sound wise the VERZA is really not for everyone even with the default setup of it pairing with the M-100, so take advantage of the 60 days trial period that V-MODA offers and judge for yourself.  I hope some of you here will able to test the VERZA plus Samsung GS3 with Metallo case combo in the future.  Hope this helps.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #222 of 1,343
Quote:
Ok I finally able to test my VERZA with most of my gear and here are the foundings:

Setup

Songs:
AKB48 "River"
fripSide "Decade"
Puddle of Mudd "Blurry"

Sources:
iPhone 4S
iPod Touch 5th Gen
Zune HD

Headphone:

Volume:
iTunes 100%
AudioQuest DragonFly 20%

Test 1 - With and with out the 30 pin adapter for the iPod Touch 5th Gen: I can safely say that to the best of my ability that I detected no difference between the two given that the 30 pin adapter has a Wolfson DAC inside.  I can assume it is properly bypassed in this case.

Test 2 - iPhone 4S vs. iPod Touch 5th Gen with VERZA: I can also detected no difference in this case

Test 3 - VAMP vs. VERZA: as mentioned before the VERZA was tuned for the M-100 and it shows, and you can definitely tell that the VERZA gives off a much stronger base and mids but the high end suffers.  This is the one point I don't like about the VERZA as I think it is too far away from neutral even with EQ off.  It by no means sounded bad, but if you really care about neutral sounding high notes you might not like the VERZA.

Test 4 - DragonFly vs. VERZA in USB-DAC mode: this is where the VERZA get interesting, as the VERZA is even more bassy sounding than in iAMP mode.  Personally I considered the DragonFly gives off a very good neutral sound, so the difference here is even more striking.  This test could be an indication that USB-DAC mode users for computers or Android devices will notice more bass and mids compare to their iDevices counterpart given the same songs and settings.

Test 5 - Zune HD: failed as I forgot that I need to get an USB to micro USB adapter for it to be used in USB-DAC mode, so stand by for this one.

Future plan: I have a pair of Sleek-Audio SA7 coming so I will have to test that along with all my other IEMs.  As a quick note I did pair my VERZA with the Ferrari T350 and does make it sound better and more lively.  Since now I have the VERZA, I can finally send V-MODA another RMA request to have my VAMP updated again, and hopefully fix some of the issue I still have with it.  I hope this help to some of you that are on the fence about the VERZA, and my bottom line for you is that the VERZA is a great device as it does so much and compatible with almost everything.  However, sound wise the VERZA is really not for everyone even with the default setup of it pairing with the M-100, so take advantage of the 60 days trial period that V-MODA offers and judge for yourself.  I hope some of you here will able to test the VERZA plus Samsung GS3 with Metallo case combo in the future.  Hope this helps.

Interesting impressions. Thank you very much for proving us with some first-hand insight! :)

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #223 of 1,343
Can you test the sonic max pro app with the verza/Itouch? A little eq might fix the highs.

Setup

Songs:
AKB48 "River"
fripSide "Decade"
Puddle of Mudd "Blurry"

Sources:
iPhone 4S
iPod Touch 5th Gen
Zune HD

Headphone:

Volume:
iTunes 100%
AudioQuest DragonFly 20%

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #224 of 1,343
Quote:
Can you test the sonic max pro app with the verza/Itouch? A little eq might fix the highs.

Good call but I just tried that with the default headphone profile and it didn't helped on the highs, but it did lessen the bass a bit.  If you have a suggestion on the settings, then please let me know.  Thanks.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #225 of 1,343
Ok I charged my VERZA and here is my first test drive of it with my iPod Touch 5th Gen with the M-100.  All I have to say is WOW, if the iPhone 4/4S with VAMP was great, than this new VERZA just takes the M-100 to a whole new level.  Listening to AKB48's "1830m" with the VERZA at 1/3 volume gives a much stronger base than normal, with the highs and mids remain quite clear.  EQ mode bring the sounds even more base, and EQ + 3D is just too much for me.  As of now I do prefer the sound of my old VAMP as it is more even sounding, however, the overall package and everything else the VERZA trumps the VAMP.  If I have to pick I think I would like the VERZA better, and given time I might grow custom to its sound.  Note that I definitely like the volume control on the VERZA better, as it is more solid (my VAMP's knob is a bit loose) AND you can turn your VERZA completely off with it without touching the toggle controls.  It will be my perfect setup if Val and V-MODA release more Metallo cases so I can retire those (given very nice) rubber bands.  Releasing a 90 degree angled cable for Apple Lightning connection, like what VentureCraft did, would be great too (naturally since the VERZA was derived from the GO-DAP X).

Test Setup

Tho the lightning adapter LOD is not filterless and has its own wolfson dac which is going to be standarize in many products. So sound might be diff since it doesnt really bypass unless lignting to usb cord into verza

Users who are viewing this thread

Back