V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Dec 7, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #1,096 of 1,343
About to pull the trigger on a Vamp Verza and Metallo case for my iPhone 5s.

I also have the B&O 3i headphones which I love. Are they a good fit for the Vamp? They're very neutral and musical, and looking for the Vamp to bring more oomph at the bottom end. Fairly low impedance phones.

Thanks
Andrew

I don't believe you would hear any significant benefit from Verza with those earbuds, especially if you want a big low end boost which you won't get with that design because they don't seal in your ear canal.  You may do better with a lower cost amp that has a bigger bass boost like the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc or JDS Labs C5 and spend the difference on a second pair of IEMs or headphones for your basshead side 
evil_smiley.gif

IMO, it doesn't make sense to purchase a $600 amp for $150 earbuds.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #1,097 of 1,343
I know this has been asked and answered before, so apologies in advance for asking again, but I am realizing how annoying it is to have a straight 4" connector for my Verza (particularly when I want to place in my pants pocket) and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share links for short right angle USB to lightning connectors?

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,098 of 1,343
Thanks. I thought the improvement would be substantial with low impedance headphones.

And I prefer open ear buds as I have tinnitus, and have found the air and space + neutrality of the 3i very appealing. Want to improve the bottom end as the highs and mids are very sweet.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,099 of 1,343
Thanks. I thought the improvement would be substantial with low impedance headphones.

No problem.  FYI, the opposite is actually the case since higher impedance headphones have a greater need for amplification to sound their best.  Also, sonic variances/improvement are much more significant between headphones vs. amps generally speaking.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,100 of 1,343
Don't forget that low impedance headphones and earphones tend to be current-driven, as opposed to voltage driven like in higher impedance headphones. If a portable media player cannot supply enough current, the headphone won't sound optimal either; some operational amplifiers are current-limited and don't provide enough current. Most portable amplifiers are probably built to meet the current requirements for such headphones. I know for sure that the JDS Labs C5 was built for earphones.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #1,101 of 1,343
  I know this has been asked and answered before, so apologies in advance for asking again, but I am realizing how annoying it is to have a straight 4" connector for my Verza (particularly when I want to place in my pants pocket) and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share links for short right angle USB to lightning connectors?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687750/lightning-cables-official-and-custom-welcomed#post_9927609

lightning cables.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,104 of 1,343
Dec 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #1,105 of 1,343
Can anyone recommend a good cable to connect verza to av receiver denon avx4000

Are you looking to use optical to utilize the DAC that's built into the X4000?  Or are you trying to pass analog to the AVR through the Verza?  Overall, you may be better off just connecting directly to the AVR, either through AirPlay or directly through the USB on the front panel.  

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #1,110 of 1,343
So the 30 pin connector that came with the VERZA seems to have died.  Am using the one that came with my iPod now.  Anyone have any recommendations for a short 30 pin connector?  ALO?  VentureCraft?  

Am not sure how much I want to spend since it looks like it's the end of the road for that connector.  I really have my eyes on the new Sony DAP as well. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back