V-moda M100 owner - are the HiFiMAN HE-400 worth it?
Aug 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Qwas

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I currently own the m100 and am quite happy with them.
I like the portability and general build quality the most.
Sound quality is also good but I lacking a bit of mids...

I have an opportunity to sell these to a close friend and I am thinking of getting different headphones.

I travel a lot, so the m100 are great for me in that department, but if I get a lot better sound quality with the HE-400 I will seriously consider.

What are your thoughts?

Also, where can I listen to the HE-400 in NY?

Thanks in advance!

D.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 21
The HE-400 sounds absolutely incredible and is the next headphone on my to-buy list. However, since it is an open-backed headphone, portable use is pretty limited. Plus they are heavy and don't sit on the head as securely as the M-100. For at home use they would be amazing, but I can't imagine using them on the subway or in a coffee shop.

And if you want to try the HE-400, along with some Sennheiser and Grado offerings, check out AC Gears on 8th and Broadway. They also sell V-MODA and Audio-Technica headphones there.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 21
The HE-400 sounds absolutely incredible and is the next headphone on my to-buy list. However, since it is an open-backed headphone, portable use is pretty limited. Plus they are heavy and don't sit on the head as securely as the M-100. For at home use they would be amazing, but I can't imagine using them on the subway or in a coffee shop.

And if you want to try the HE-400, along with some Sennheiser and Grado offerings, check out AC Gears on 8th and Broadway. They also sell V-MODA and Audio-Technica headphones there.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I get the inconvenience of using HE-400 anywhere but home.

I want to emphasize that by traveling a lot, I mean I fly a lot...
Does this change the point of view?

Any chance of trying these at a BestBuy?

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 21
Heya,

Yeap, I'd say worth it.

Other headphones to consider to give you what you're looking for:

Hifiman HE-400
AudioTechnia AD900X
Sennheiser HD600
Beyer DT880
Philips Fidelio X1

Very best,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Problem is, when I was on the lookout for new headphones that will accompany me in my travelling, I did a lot of research.
I found the M-100 to be very suitable due to folding, and the small case.

Without searching on the above suggested, any of them foldable or offer close portability?

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 21
If you are looking for a travel purpose one your choice will be limited. The h400 are really made to best at home unless you don't mind packing and taking time to set things back up. They also sound best with an amp. Keep in mind the m100 is consider on the smaller size vs some of the other ones.

I also agree that the he400 are worth it, enough to make me lose interest in a lot of other headphones.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 21
The HE-400 will be useless on airplanes. For travel you will need closed back or noise-cancelling headphones. You should look into the

PSB M4U
Bowers and Wilkins P5
Sennheiser HD25-1 ii or Amperior
Beyerdynamic DT1350

Or just stick with the M-100. (My choice)

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 21
Suggest you look at the MDR-1RNC, noise cancelling is awesome on a plane. I found the treble a little sharp with the 1RNC, but not too bad.

Havent heard some of the other but this is a fine headphone here.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 21
Thank you all for the replies.
Much appreciated.

Are all of the above mentioned, considered an upgrade to the m100? Because, frankly, if there's no significant improvement, I won't bother with the hassle.

Does the MDR-1RC have sufficient bass?

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #15 of 21
I've owned the M-100, Momentum, MDR1R at the same time. Bear with me as I'm writing from my memory of the phones so take it with a grain of salt.

Momentum > the other two In mids for my preferences + sounded better all round. Very subjective of course. I listen to Rock, Metal, Jazz, Punk, Kpop, Pop and Hip Hop. So for me it was a better all rounder.The M-100 had more bass, but less defined than the Momentum. The Momentum was about the same in instrument separation. Case is bulky and headphone does not fold. It has the best build quality of the 3 I mention, but the M-100 still has it beat in this regard.

The MDR-1r of course can also include noise cancelling I believe, nice warmer sound. Prefered the fuller midrange than the M-100. Less bass than the M-100, with my type of music separation was worse. Comfort was incredible. Doesn't come with a good case for travel only a pouch and a cardboard box case. Doesn't fold down. Plastic construction.

UE6000 is another to look at. Noise Cancelling, good bass, at least as good overall as the M-100 in my audition. Supremely comfortable. Comes with a soft carry case which is rather nice. Folds nicely.

None of the 3 are massive improvements IMO, can very much come down to taste + YMMV

My source was a Sony E475 - LOD - Hippo Cri Cri dac/amp - HP's

Sorry if I'm not helpful :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back