V-moda M100 or M80
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:
See, I think there's just so much uptalk in the M-100 thread, that critical reviews get overshadowed. I've given the M-100's a fair shakedown back in October, and I honestly wasn't all that impressed with them. Personally, I think the M-80's offer an incredible value by comparison. I found the bass impact of the M-100's borderline overbearing; pad mods are required to hollow out this feature. I spent a long month A/B'ing the two. While most of my friends preferred the modded M-100's to the M-80's, the majority felt they weren't worth the premium(that's to say the M-80's are an incredible bargain through Amazon Warehouse).
For my style of music, I found the M-80's sounded better across the board (although the M-100's sound crazy good with some EDM, rap and most grooves found in today's pop terrestrial radio stations)
 The M-80 has very good bass reach. The rumble is very audible, but the cans don't shake to the level the M-100's can. As far as sonic capability, The M-80 vs M-100 debacle is more of a preference in flavor, then a question of either's superiority to one-another

Edit: I should mention, the M-80's are very seal/position sensitive. It can be a challenge for the sound to line up

So you means that M-80 are very "standard" headphone, with overall good SQ, and M-100 have more "contemporary" in their sound signature? :D

As for the Amazon Warehouse deal, do you think that I should buy the M-80 used from it? I can buy pretty much anything used, but my mind often hold me back when it comes to used headphone lol :D for some reason I really don't want to buy used headphone, unless it's a manufacturer refurbished like what Sennheiser do :D but this time what got me is the price. Man, the $120 white is really a bargain! :D

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #34 of 57
Quote:
Would pairing the M80s with a digizoid bring it closer to the M100s? Or am I just having wishful thinking here?

To be honest, if you're looking to get the M-100 sound, you're better off just buying it from the beginning.
I never attempted to EQ the M-80's while I had the M-100 (since I preferred the warmth and midrange), but bass tightness of the M-100's may be virtually impossible to EQ in.
Quote:
So you means that M-80 are very "standard" headphone, with overall good SQ, and M-100 have more "contemporary" in their sound signature? :D

As for the Amazon Warehouse deal, do you think that I should buy the M-80 used from it? I can buy pretty much anything used, but my mind often hold me back when it comes to used headphone lol :D for some reason I really don't want to buy used headphone, unless it's a manufacturer refurbished like what Sennheiser do :D but this time what got me is the price. Man, the $120 white is really a bargain! :D

If they go down to ~$80 used again, then yes, I'd absolutely encourage buying from Amazon Warehouse
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:
If they go down to ~$80 used again, then yes, I'd absolutely encourage buying from Amazon Warehouse
wink.gif

+ 1

I bought a pair from Amazon Warehouse and the ones I got were practically brand new. Very good deal for $85 or so.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #36 of 57
To be honest, if you're looking to get the M-100 sound, you're better off just buying it from the beginning.
I never attempted to EQ the M-80's while I had the M-100 (since I preferred the warmth and midrange), but bass tightness of the M-100's may be virtually impossible to EQ in.

Ah okay thanks. I did look at the M100s, but then decided I wanted small cans rather.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #37 of 57
if you have a "large" head, stay away from m-80
i tried it on the local shop here
and i couldnt even fit the m-80 on my head
in the end i take the risk and order the M-100 online as it still not available locally in my country.
the m-100 fit me fine, but i set it on the longest click.
luckilly it still fits my head fine, maybe i have abnormal head size :frowning2:
anyway the m-100 sound very good INMHO i can't really comment on M-80 as i can't fit those properly to get a good seal.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #38 of 57
I got my m80s in yesterday, and interestingly enough (interesting because I was really afraid that it was going to be uncomfortable), they're really comfortable to me! For on ears at least. They do get warm after a couple hours though. Compared to the Bowers and Wilkins P3, M80s are more comfortable to me.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #40 of 57
I got mine in yesterday too. Have only been able to listen for maybe an hour, but I'm impressed. Compared to the LP's I heard a few weeks back....these things are a lot better. The highs are a lot better. Mids are somewhat lacking, but maybe they will get better after a break-in. I listened to a Rodrigo y Gabrielle album and the percussive slap to the acoustic guitar just doesn't have the punch I've come to expect.

I have better open back cans, but these will suffice for the workplace. They're listenable. Like a decent looking girl...they'll work for now ; )

May 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #41 of 57
Glad to hear the M-80 is well regarded by most. I just sold my DT770s which were my portables, but truthfully way to big for being portable, and hot in the summer. I just purchased a nearly new pair of M-80s in white and from what I hear I should enjoy them. I briefly heard a pair of M-80s and I knew that at the least the sound would be good enough, and it sounds like I may be in for a treat overall. I will be giving up a fair amount of sound in general, and certainly some quality as the 770s were actually very nice and suited my listening preferences quite well. Now all I have to do is find a way to hear a set of TH-900s and see if they will suit me. Thanks for the feedback in this thread people and after I have some housr with mine I'll post my impressions.

May 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #42 of 57
I'm sure you'll like them. I eventually replaced the cable with a moon audio blue dragon...made an amazing difference. The cable was actually more than the headphones, but I'm guessing there are cheaper options out there. Also added some damping to the back of the driver which tightened the sound up a bit.

May 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #43 of 57
Wow, I wish I had the guts to do modding, or the time for that matter. Kudos to those that do and actually manage to improve the sound! So how did you do the damping anyway?

May 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #44 of 57
I will be likley adding to these initial impressions of the V-80s, but to lead-off I like them quite a bit, but in a qualified way. First, these are my first designed to be portable (hence small) headphones in a number of years. As unfair as it is I am comparing these against my DT770s which while full sized headphones, I made them portable. There is no way that significantly smaller drivers will be able to present material in as defined and separated manner as larger drivers can, at least that has always been my experience. Plus, the M-80s I will assume were voiced to fit into the modern portable world where many of the sources (players and files aren't that audiophile oriented). let's face it, V-Moda wants to sell as many of their products as possible, and due to this they need to strike a balance between audiophiles, and the average audio consumer.

So with this in mind I find the M-80s quite good for electronica, and still good, but not as well suited for rock. Like Grado's I find a tilt toward the mids, but with the M-80s. it sounds like the tilt is toward the upper bass register and the lower thicker midrange register. In general I find the lows congested somewhat, but not very badly, and this is more obvious with rock. For instance when I played Tool 10, 000 Days and Lateralus, once the passages got busy and full of energy, the bass would blur and become less defined. That said, rock in general will do this once you push the volume and hence the drivers. Still, I found this to be much less of an issue with electronica. I played some Bluetech, some Phutureprimitive, Alone Architect and various other electronica artists and was overall quite happy with how the M-80s performed. I suspect with sampled sounds it is much easier to keep the various elements separated and distinct then when you are mixing aggressive rock music with crazy brick-wall limiting that just saturates the hell out of everything.

When loud I do not really like how the M-80s portray rock, the guitars and vocals became a little sharper and thin, and as mentioned the lower registers blur and become in distinct somewhat. However, backing off the volume down to what I guess would be a moderate loud level yielded a much better result. I think there is a limit to what you can expect of small drivers driven hard, regardless of design, there is a point at which they are asked to overdeliver. Rock would really show this up and electronica with its cleaner source samples less so. I really like the M-80, and I think that while it isn't very accurate (nor is it designed to be I suspect), it makes the music engaging and lively, bringing the elements forward. The vocals I found a little less prominent then I like, but with the bass signals being so strong that isn't a huge surprise. I will be trying the M-80s with different genres soon, but for now with electronica I give the M-80 a solid 8 out of 10 and rock fairs a little less well at about 6 - 6.5 out of 10. Yes these numbers are very subjective and don't reference a particular scorring criteria, but they communicate what I am trying to say a little bit more visually I hope.

Again, I don't want to at all seem like I don't like these cans, I think they are very interesting and quite capable, you just need to know what you want. I knew moving from the 770s would be an adjustment, and it is, but the gains in portability and yummy eye-candy are also there, plus the sound signature is very cool. Don't overdrive the M-80s and you will get their best. I was using a Blackberry Z10, a FiiO E11 with the Neutron Music Player and Apple M4A 320 files. 

May 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #45 of 57
More listening with electronica confirms that I think this is a genre where the M-80s will shine. That said, I wish the mid-bass was less prominent as for me it can be a little boomy (seem to be in the minority here). With the extra energy in the mid-bass I still find a slight detail smear. So far I am not as put-off by the treble, which might be like the slight veil on the HD650. I haven't listened to my 650s in a few months so perhaps I'll check this out. I'm going to get some new rock music on my Z10 so that I have a greater range to test. Still, for electronica as mentioned before a solid 8 out of 10. Not surprising from a designer who was a DJ, assuming electronica was part of his thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back