V-moda M100 or M80
May 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #46 of 57
Yah, these are sick with electronica, quite yummy. Getting used to the difference from the full size and deep enclosures of the DT 770s. Love how portable these are and as others have mentioned the build quality is very, very, good.

May 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:
Wow, I wish I had the guts to do modding, or the time for that matter. Kudos to those that do and actually manage to improve the sound! So how did you do the damping anyway?

I made a thread with some pics. I had hoped some others would chime in on mods they had tried or why I should have done something differently....never happened though. Seems like the perfect can for modding to me...not too expensive and is actually pretty easy to disassemble. What I did took about 10 minutes.

Next I believe I'll try soldering in a new wire (maybe silver) that passes over the headband and the short wire from the input jack to the left driver. Also, whenever I move my head the headband 'creaks' so I'd like to find a way of stopping this. Anyway...here's the link to the thread I made: http://www.head-fi.org/t/659754/v-moda-m80-modding

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #48 of 57
How does the M80 compare with my jaycars(HM5/FA003)? Soundwise.
I just got the jaycar and I like it...but bit lacking in bass and with my big head...looks even bigger when i walk around with it.

I am concerned that the M80s is also a neutral/balanced sound signature.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #49 of 57
The M80's are known to be neutral sounding. They were made to take the sound straight to your ears as the song was made to sound. I can't compare with the Jaycars, but I can say the M80's do have slightly more bass strength than the more neutral over-ears. Not by much if your a basshead though. Also, for EDM and other modern music, I'd heavily suggest the M100's as they are tuned to produce much stronger lows while retaining clarity all around.

EDIT: didn't mean exactly "neutral". I think they're much closer to neutral than V-moda's other offerings.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #51 of 57
  The m-80 are not neutral to my ears and they aren't very comfortable for big ears or heads. Very portable in terms of size but relatively poor isolation. 

+1 though there might be a correlation between poor seal and large/weird ear shapes, at least for me. I ignored reviews saying the M-80 might not be suitable for big heads and ears, and bought it anyway. I enjoy the sound, not exactly neutral though very enjoyable.

It's almost been a month and I've stretched, bent, and done everything else to them even advice offered here, but am unable to relieve the pain they cause on my right ear near my jaw, a painful click happens when opening my mouth with the headphones on. So warning to anyone with ears that might be big or shaped strangle, but I'm getting a terrible pain after 10 minutes and a clicking type sensation. Unfortunately, any replacement pads or XL pads will probably never come out, so it looks like I must return these...

If you're in a similar situation, definitely go for over ear headphones but the M-100 was too bass heavy for me and far from neutral, the M-80 seemed perfect to get into the V-Moda family and durable headphones, just didn't work out for me.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #52 of 57
I tried both headphones before getting the m100's. The m80's had a better midrange for sure.. listening to dance music songs with female vocals sounded much better on the m80's.. but the comfort for me was not there for extended listening and the m100 what to me sounded like a better overall sound because it was pretty easy to EQ to my likeness.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #53 of 57
Believe it or not, the M-100 is actually NOT an audiophile quality headphones, but it gives so much more live to your music you just won't care. And from what I heard from the other is that the M-100 beats the M-80 hands down. So if you like the M-80, than I am pretty that you will like the M-100 even more.

Sorry for gravedig, but you've got it wrong.
The M-100 isn't in the LP range. The M-100 was developed ON head-fi, FOR Audiophiles.
The LP (LP / LP2) was made for DJs and not for audiophiles.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #54 of 57
The M-100 isn't in the LP range. The M-100 was developed ON head-fi, FOR Audiophiles.

Agreed

M100's are one of the best public consumer use headphones to enter the Audiophile market. Somewhat mainstream music listener influenced sound signature, but with more Audiophile quality in the sound. The LP's are in no way for Audiophiles, just an option for bass-heads to test out. They just don't carry the level needed in other sound regions, which is why V-moda created the M80/M100.

I don't think every M80 user will enjoy the M100's more though. Only if your looking for stronger, deeper bass. The traditional Audiophile seeking more neutral sound will not enjoy it, preferring the M80>M100. (I, however, love the M100>M80 for what it does) TO EACH HIS OWN. V-moda does a great job to reach users at different levels of preference. I think ATH M50 lovers might like the M80's though. 

Bass-wise: LP > M100 (slightly less than LP, but much better quality of output, not muddy) > M80 (more than neutral headphones, great entrance if you just want a little more, but not too much)

Midlevel/higher: M80 >/= M100 (Although the stronger bass does not leak into and obstruct other sounds IMO, it pushes some to prefer the M80's here) > LP (just do not hold the same clarity as the M80/M100)

Classical music, Vocals: M80
Contemporary to Mainstream: M100

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #55 of 57

Agreed

M100's are one of the best public consumer use headphones to enter the Audiophile market. Somewhat mainstream music listener influenced sound signature, but with more Audiophile quality in the sound. The LP's are in no way for Audiophiles, just an option for bass-heads to test out. They just don't carry the level needed in other sound regions, which is why V-moda created the M80/M100.

I don't think every M80 user will enjoy the M100's more though. Only if your looking for stronger, deeper bass. The traditional Audiophile seeking more neutral sound will not enjoy it, preferring the M80>M100. (I, however, love the M100>M80 for what it does) TO EACH HIS OWN. V-moda does a great job to reach users at different levels of preference. I think ATH M50 lovers might like the M80's though. 

Bass-wise: LP > M100 (slightly less than LP, but much better quality of output, not muddy) > M80 (more than neutral headphones, great entrance if you just want a little more, but not too much)

Midlevel/higher: M80 >/= M100 (Although the stronger bass does not leak into and obstruct other sounds IMO, it pushes some to prefer the M80's here) > LP (just do not hold the same clarity as the M80/M100)

Classical music, Vocals: M80
Contemporary to Mainstream: M100

The LP2s are the strongest out of the line.
The m100s are weak imo, I've gone through two pairs with the same problem, the bracket. Waiting on my third pair.
The LP2's weak spot is the clicking bracket, the thing that makes it click. Been though one of those.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #56 of 57
So how would the M-80s do for more indie/acoustical/folky type stuff? Looking into getting my friend some headphones for his birthday and right now I'm kind of in between the Phillips Fidelio X2 or the M-80s or maybe the M-100s. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #57 of 57
XS would be a better choice than M-80 for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back