V-moda M100 or M80
Feb 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #16 of 57
From what I can tell, the M-100 sounds good straight out using my iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 5th gen.  However, pair with the VAMP or the DragonFly will even out some of the mids and makes it even better.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #17 of 57

V-Moda M-Class Shootout

Big vs Small

A warmer linear sound is really what made Head-Fi fall in love with the V-Moda M-80.  To this day, it remains one of the headphones that can still be recommended for by fashion and sound.  Many wanted an over-ear version of the M-80.  While some were disappointed that the M-100 didn’t live up to this wish, it still remains a great headphone nonetheless.  It makes a great contrasting headphone to the M-80.  It’s not a complete upgrade, but a good one regardless.  

Both headphones can easily be driven by my iPod Touch 5G without the need of an amp.  That is the source used for the comparison.

Fit

The first difference between these two is not in their sound; rather, their form factor.  The M-100s are an upgrade in terms of comfort between the two headphones in terms of fit for me.  Unless, of course you have a tiny head (the M-80 can fit more comfortably on a smaller head).  Both, of course, aren’t without their problems.  Eventually, both headbands will cause some discomfort due to their weight.  The M-80s ear cups are soft, like the M-100s.  However, the M-80s may cause a bit of discomfort after a while.  The M-100 on the other hand may be a little shallow for most people.  

Regardless, I was able to get a good few hours with both headphones without the need to take them off.  I did get slight discomfort here and there though (headband).  

Sound

The M-80s offer a more linear sound with a bit of mid-bass to keep them interesting.  The M-100s are a v-shaped signature that quickens the bass decay a bit to keep it from overwhelming the mids.  Both headphones are great, they both compliment each other very well.

Bass

Despite what the graphs show, the M-100’s bass doesn’t seem to be much bigger than the M-80s.  Yes, it’s bumped up, but only by a few dB max.  The M-100 has a larger emphasis on the lower-sub bass to create much more delicate texturing over the M-80 while having a tighter punch.  This does come with a slight loss of impact though.  The M-80s have a bigger low-to-mid-bass emphasis so the punches hit harder, and impacts have a bit of slam behind them.  

Mids

If the M-100 has a weakness, it’s the midrange.  The M-80s really do a much better job focusing on the lower midrange detailing and retrieval besting the M-100 at both of these tasks.  The M-100s are able to matchup with the M-80 in the upper-midrange clarity for instrumentals.  Same goes for the upper vocals as well as they carry great energy with them.  Though the M-80 perform the lower vocals amazingly, the M-100 aren’t too far behind in this area.

Highs

Both of these headphones do a beautiful job rendering the lower treble region.  They actually have similar snare snaps that give quite a bit of energy into the upper ranges.  The M-100 does have a little better presence and dominance in this area though.  Both of these headphones can extend quite a bit into the upper treble as well.  The M-80, however, is a little reserved in this area in comparison to the M-100.  It also seems to extend a little bit further than the M-80s as well being able to uncover a little more detail.

Final Thoughts

In reality, the choice of headphone will still go down to the signature preference, as well as fit preferences.  The M-100 is still audiophile friendly, but diverges from the more accurate line the M-80 creates.  Still, you can’t go wrong either direction.  The M-100 give you more of a musical sense to the music while the M-80s try to stay more accurate, but also stay in touch with its musical side.  The choice is yours.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #18 of 57
Cool review! :D
So, basically the M-100 will have more sweet sounding, and the M-80 will have more accuracy? lol
And by saying the M-100 vocal is not as good as the M-80, is the M-100 vocal too far behind, or not good or something? :D
And by saying the bass of M-100 is "quicken", do you mean that is tighter, faster and has more impact? :D I think that's important for EDM and bass oriented music haha
By the way, I'm beginning to prefer the M-100 haha

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:
Cool review! :D
So, basically the M-100 will have more sweet sounding, and the M-80 will have more accuracy? lol
And by saying the M-100 vocal is not as good as the M-80, is the M-100 vocal too far behind, or not good or something? :D
And by saying the bass of M-100 is "quicken", do you mean that is tighter, faster and has more impact? :D I think that's important for EDM and bass oriented music haha
By the way, I'm beginning to prefer the M-100 haha

To answer your questions, I wouldn't entirely say sweet sounding, but more fun, musical in a sense.  M-80 is for more accuracy.  As for the vocals, the M-100s don't capture the warmth, or lushness of a vocalists that sings down low as well as the M-80 would.  Some also consider this range the "breadth" of a vocalist.  Vocals are a little behind, but that wasn't the reason they were worse.  The M-80 actually had more impact, but less tightness.  I just read over my impressions and couldn't find the use of the word quicken.  The M-100 does have a quicker decay in the mid-bass which does lead to a tighter sound.  I think you'll prefer the M-100 as well.  

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #20 of 57
Based on frequency characteristics only, my fairly extensive listening experience with these phones puts the M100 above the M80 when you don't have the option to EQ either of them.  The high-end rolloff on the M80 makes them sound fairly dull next to the M100.

When you can EQ the phones, it turns out that M80 is a bit easier to EQ, and the difference between them becomes much smaller.  In fact, it is possible to EQ the M80's sound to mimic a much more high-end phone, whereas the M100 has a distinct sound signature that cannot easily be changed.   Of course, using EQ means you have to do something special with your playback system (use an app on a smartphone, Rockbox, or a laptop).

What kind of EQing are we talking about here that makes the M80 better? Are there any specific settings you would suggest? Or do you mean if you're EQing them for each song they're better than the M100s?
(sorry, I just ordered the M80s and I'm excited to get them. I was looking to buy the M100s, but I couldn't pass on new M80s from the vmoda site with free faders and a pair of custom shields for 140 inclhding shipping compared to the 320 I would've spent on the M100s.)

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #21 of 57
Quote:
What kind of EQing are we talking about here that makes the M80 better? Are there any specific settings you would suggest? Or do you mean if you're EQing them for each song they're better than the M100s?
(sorry, I just ordered the M80s and I'm excited to get them. I was looking to buy the M100s, but I couldn't pass on new M80s from the vmoda site with free faders and a pair of custom shields for 140 inclhding shipping compared to the 320 I would've spent on the M100s.)

Curious how you received this deal. I'm looking to buy some M80's, but only see them listed on Vmoda for $200 without the shields and faders you mentioned. Is the deal over or do I need a code?

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 57
They offer price matching to American sites as well. The shields and faders were offered as part as the valentines day promo only.

Curious how you received this deal. I'm looking to buy some M80's, but only see them listed on Vmoda for $200 without the shields and faders you mentioned. Is the deal over or do I need a code?

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 57
Yet another reason to hate Valentine's day. Guess I'll wait for the next deal to come around.

Maybe the guy I share an office with will pitch in the difference so he doesn't have to hear my music screaming out of my open headphones
beyersmile.png

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 57

Sadly, I've recently running out of fund, so I guess I'll have to buy the used M-80 lol.
Is the M-80 lagged too far behind the M-100? I mean in SQ is it good for EDM and R&B and bass stuff? 'Cause I've heard that the bass of this can rolled off quickly and I'm not sure that's good or not.
Beside that, anyone had previous experience of buying used M-80 from Warehouse Deal on Amazon? How's it turn out? Does it come with original package and all accessories? Does it got some damaged and overall, is anything affected the SQ? I'm kinda worry about broken user headphone lol
Anw, I'm going to buy an used M-80 white, and their price is $120. Pretty sweet :D

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #25 of 57
If you are looking for the vmoda cans from their site, I'm not sure, but it might still come with free custom shields? From their email:
"Cutoms Included - Buy from V-MODA.com and receive complimentary customs on Crossfade LP, LP2, M-80 and M-100. Other brands charge $100 and up for customization and don't offer fast laser engraving of your own design"

Just email their support, they might! Just scout out the cheapest authorized retailer and show them the link.

As for my own M80s, I think they should be here this Monday. I'll post what I think.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #26 of 57
Yes you can from the V-MODA site, and you can pick your own design and a different color shields for no additional charge.  They will ship the default along with your custom so you get a total of two set of shields.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #27 of 57
I found the True Blood m80's on amazon new for $140. Mine should be here Tuesday.

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #28 of 57
I was able to hear the M100s at the last meet. I have to say this review/comparison is dead on. I prefer the M80s to the M100.

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:
Believe it or not, the M-100 is actually NOT an audiophile quality headphones, but it gives so much more live to your music you just won't care. And from what I heard from the other is that the M-100 beats the M-80 hands down. So if you like the M-80, than I am pretty that you will like the M-100 even more.

See, I think there's just so much uptalk in the M-100 thread, that critical reviews get overshadowed. I've given the M-100's a fair shakedown back in October, and I honestly wasn't all that impressed with them. Personally, I think the M-80's offer an incredible value by comparison. I found the bass impact of the M-100's borderline overbearing; pad mods are required to hollow out this feature. I spent a long month A/B'ing the two. While most of my friends preferred the modded M-100's to the M-80's, the majority felt they weren't worth the premium(that's to say the M-80's are an incredible bargain through Amazon Warehouse).
For my style of music, I found the M-80's sounded better across the board (although the M-100's sound crazy good with some EDM, rap and most grooves found in today's pop terrestrial radio stations)
Quote:
Is the M-80 lagged too far behind the M-100? I mean in SQ is it good for EDM and R&B and bass stuff? 'Cause I've heard that the bass of this can rolled off quickly and I'm not sure that's good or not.

The M-80 has very good bass reach. The rumble is very audible, but the cans don't shake to the level the M-100's can. As far as sonic capability, The M-80 vs M-100 debacle is more of a preference in flavor, then a question of either's superiority to one-another

Edit: I should mention, the M-80's are very seal/position sensitive. It can be a challenge for the sound to line up

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #30 of 57
Good point. Position on the ear is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back