V-Moda M100 or Audio Technica ATH-M40X?
May 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

The7thCirren

New Head-Fier
Hiya! I'm new to this site so if I make a mistake forgive me 
wink.gif
So I'm a little torn apart here between M40x and the V-Moda M100.I'll be using these for mixing and for on the go portable listening.I currently own a pair of Beats Mixr (Don't judge they sound decent) which I got for $95 off, but for mixing it just doesn't cut it,even though I like them as they're uber portable and built like a tank,dropped em a ton and only the paint chipped.
I'd like something just as strong and with a wider soundstage so I can pan instruments better because the soundstage is non existant on the Mixrs. Can the M40s hold up? Any other alternate suggestions would be good but under $150 please,the M100 is just an exception because it's something I'm willing to pay extra for.

May 18, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 6
These are two quite different headphones. The M100s have more bass, AND are arguably a higher tier of headphone in overall sound quality. Given the M100s have a lot of bass emphasis, sure that's what you want for mixing?

May 18, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 6
I would not trust either for mixing. Although the M-100 is the most audiophile-tuned V-MODA, it's still a V-MODA. All their headphones have too much bass in terms of accuracy. I owned the M40x and thought its tonality was kinda off. Actually, I felt that about many studio monitor headphones. All of them have problems, but some have far less problems. Out of all the ones I've heard, I'd say the Sony MDR-7506 is your best bet. No problems with the sound, except for some treble peaks. It's one of the most popular studio monitor headphones of all time. If you're willing to pay $349 retail or less used, you could get a Focal Spirit Professional. I owned two pairs in the past. Doesn't have any peaks in the frequency response, but is instead a little darker than neutral, with slightly boosted bass and slightly recessed mids and treble. I bought a Yamaha HPH-MT220 for $150 (used to be $399), but haven't received it yet. I might drop by again and let you know how I feel it compares. Anyway, if you really want accuracy for studio purposes, you want to use studio monitor speakers, not headphones.

May 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 6
God I'm late 
eek.gif
 sorry for the 4 day gap was doing something so I'll start by saying
Thanks for the thread link cel4145! I'll be weedling through that for a bit now. I actually wanted to get a V-Moda to solve both purposes of playback and monitoring/mixing since I've seen some EDM producers run around with those but I guess that's really a dream out of reach. Guess I'll need to look other ways. 

Music Alchemist...you wouldn't believe how much I've heard about the Sony MDR-V6 and from what I see the 7506 is like some sort of successor. I don't wanna get monitors because they're just expensive and I'm on the move a lot so doesn't make sense. One day my Laptop is my only studio the next I have my usual home studio so it's really a up and down life.I looked up the Focal and I would've gotten those if I wasn't a poor student..I'm gonna put the 7506 near the top of my list though. PS.I love higurashi xD Mion  FTW 

May 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Music Alchemist...you wouldn't believe how much I've heard about the Sony MDR-V6 and from what I see the 7506 is like some sort of successor. I don't wanna get monitors because they're just expensive and I'm on the move a lot so doesn't make sense. One day my Laptop is my only studio the next I have my usual home studio so it's really a up and down life.I looked up the Focal and I would've gotten those if I wasn't a poor student..I'm gonna put the 7506 near the top of my list though. PS.I love higurashi xD Mion  FTW 

I replied to your PM and mentioned that I like the Yamaha HPH-MT220 more than the Sony MDR-7506. (I also like it more than the Focal Spirit Professional.) Since it was $399 a year or two ago and is now $150, it's a great value. I just hope the mids become less recessed after burn-in like some of the owners are telling me.

Oh, and the girl in my avatar is Shion, not Mion.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back