V-Moda M-80s at Radio Shack for $40!!!
Sep 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

meat01

Headphoneus Supremus
If you can find a store that has them in stock, Radio Shack is selling them for $40.  Feel free to discuss the locations of stores that have them, or check your zip code on this link

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11938792

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 82
It's out of stock!

Not where Im at.  I just bought a set one hour ago at the Radio Shack near where I work.  Best money I probably ever spent in my life!!!!  These thing made me want to throw rocks at my JBLs. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 82
called about 6 stores in NYC, all OUT... one store had a 'returned unit' with no box or anything, and I was like uhhhh can I still buy them? but then they told me only one driver was working

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 82
I got lucky and the radio shack at the South Bay Galleria here in So Cali had one left. The box, however, was already open. Looks like it isn't a return but can someone confirm that all looks good? And are the ear cups really that small? I was under the impression they were over-ear vs on-ear.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 82
  I got lucky and the radio shack at the South Bay Galleria here in So Cali had one left. The box, however, was already open. Looks like it isn't a return but can someone confirm that all looks good? And are the ear cups really that small? I was under the impression they were over-ear vs on-ear.

Thanks in advance!

It all looks right to me. As for the cup size, the M-100s are the around-the-ear (circumaural) model. The M-80s are meant to be on-ear (supra-aural).

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 82
  called about 6 stores in NYC, all OUT... one store had a 'returned unit' with no box or anything, and I was like uhhhh can I still buy them? but then they told me only one driver was working

then you should get it for $20!
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 82
Just as a heads up, Radioshack sold me one without the case as a brand new unit, and I contacted vmoda about it. They agreed to send me a new case. So you might be able to get missing parts (for returned items) replaced by Vmoda for free. I am pretty sure mine were the store display ones as the cable is permanently attached. At $40 I cant really complain and they do sound better than my ATH M50s, my current back up to my Mad Dogs. Just wondering has anybody else have permanently attached wires?

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 82
THIS ^^

It just so happens I have a similar cautionary tale regarding shopping at Radio Shack. It seems they regularly sell open box items as new, especially if they're missing accessories. One of my local stores (Sunnyvale) happily sold me a pair of M-80s they swore were still sealed and new-in-box (this was before I knew to look for the red ribbon/strip at the back left corner). Turns out that pair had the jack glued into the ear cup (probably a demo unit), was in bubble wrap inside the box, and was missing all the accessories (case, d-ring, 1/4 inch adapter, and second cable). When I found another store that had M-80s in stock so I could exchange them, they wouldn't take the return of the first pair for the reason listed below (the manager confirmed this, and didn't want to have his store take the hit), so I had to make the trek back to where I originally got them and made sure to come in on a day that they had a manager onsite. After some explaining, they did ultimately accept the return, but the whole time I was worried they might think it was me who was up to something.

Anyway, this got me curious, and I found a handy article that explains further: http://consumerist.com/2009/06/17/more-insider-tips-when-buying-from-radioshack/

Relevant excerpt:

#1 — ALWAYS, ALWAYS, open the box and check the merchandise in store if possible.

RadioShack stores sell returned merchandise all the time. Sometimes it’s cordless phones that have sold and come back to the store 4 times, or it’s an antenna that’s missing a remote (not that the staff will tell you), or it’s a cell phone that a manager wants sold.

The main reason RadioShack hocks used merchandise as new is due to how the returned merchandise is sent to the RS refurb center. The returning store receives no credit if the product is damaged or missing an included part. Sending in distressed merchandise results in the loss being charged against the manager’s quarterly bonus—so a situation exists where store management has incentive to resell used products as new.

So, open the box and test the product in store before leaving. Be sure to check the bubble-packed product for taped corners or stapled ends.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 82
They actually told me beforehand the case was missing. They did not tell me that it was demo unit though which is kinda annoying. I figured if they sold it to me as new I might get Vmoda warranty advantages (radioshack is not on their verified sellers list, and it could be because of this reason alone.) Vmoda also does not cover headphones sold as refurb/demo/as is models under their warranty. However they still decided to send me a case. Anyways it sucks I do not get the extras but I really did not need much of it in the first place. The only thing I wish was that the 1 button cable was fixed in the cup instead of the 3 button as It would be interesting to use this as a mic hooked into a controller. The cable is definitely not just glued in either, as it rotates (and the channel will fade in and out but this could be from pulling hard on it), its something more mechanical holding it in there. Sadly these are the last ones in stock for 50 miles.

BTW if anybody find these uncomfortable because the headband rests on their head too much. Go on amazon and buy the universal replaceable cushion headband. It makes them much more comfortable. I just have to order another as the one I currently own will be staying on my Mad Dogs.

If anybody finds an advertised price post it up, because other stores will price match them (guitar center for instance). Most stores do not price match receipts, otherwise I would try to buy another pair and return these.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 82
  How do these headphones fare for just desktop use?

Not very comfortable for long sessions. Get some fullsized, or some Koss Portapros--you'll forget you're wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back