V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
Oct 18, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #586 of 925
MY 3 CENTS 
I think we need to make the other thread the biggest, baddest thread ever.

I say we all vote to assign someone to make "chapters" on the other thread on page 1 and then  say something like Chapter 8 - Page 55 - "THE CUSTOMS EMBARGO" or something cool like that!  it's like a book to me.  That person can then make a post "CHAPTER XX - THE PRESS COMES TO TOWN" or some arbitrary landmark that happens.

I'm going to post everything on the other thread personally so this will be my last here probably for a while.  This thread has had AMAZING info and posts that we can transfer to the other and into the "reviews" on Head-Fi.

#3 WITH A BULLET

The other thread is the #3 thread of all time on head-fi for a non-IEM headphone, and the other 2 are 3/6 years old.  So, why not make it #1 with a bullet?  It started in January and has 500k views, 8100+ posts and 500+ pages.  It just needs a lil Chapter love to help navigate.  

-V

That sounds like a lot of work/time for one person alone.
Why not make it a collaborative effort for this new collaborative headphone? Ya get what I'm saying? :wink:

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #587 of 925
That sounds like a lot of work/time for one person alone.
Why not make it a collaborative effort for this new collaborative headphone? Ya get what I'm saying? :wink:

Ya like Wikipedia for thread chapters mixed with cliffnotes and links. Interesting. A living book.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #589 of 925
By the way, how do these fit on one's head? Like how much is the clamp on the m-100s? Because I recently bought a pair of ultrasone hfi 780s, and I can't take advantage of the sound because the cups don't hug my ears! They would sound good if the cups were closer to my ears, but I guess my head is slightly smallish. I might send these back for the m-100s if they fit better!

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #590 of 925
Quote:
By the way, how do these fit on one's head? Like how much is the clamp on the m-100s? Because I recently bought a pair of ultrasone hfi 780s, and I can't take advantage of the sound because the cups don't hug my ears! They would sound good if the cups were closer to my ears, but I guess my head is slightly smallish. I might send these back for the m-100s if they fit better!

For me I find the clamping force perfect, but would like the cups to be larger for more comfort.  However, if you are looking specifically for smaller cups, then the M-100 might have the perfect size cups for you.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #591 of 925
Quote:
For me I find the clamping force perfect, but would like the cups to be larger for more comfort.  However, if you are looking specifically for smaller cups, then the M-100 might have the perfect size cups for you.

To elaborate, the cups are medium sized, but the depth means it may be too small for people with larger ears, since it's less than most medium-sized cups. For me, and other people with smaller ears, it hugs perfectly. Coupled with the super soft pleather/leather/whatever pads, and it's really comfortable - at least for me. If you want your ear to contact the driver cover, the M-100's would be your best bet, assuming you like their Sound Signature.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #592 of 925
Quote:
Ya like Wikipedia for thread chapters mixed with cliffnotes and links. Interesting. A living book.

This might work perfectly, we can set up a wiki page somewhere and just use it as the clearinghouse to put links etc... then we just have to get someone to edit the first post with a link to the wiki.  That way no single person has to have the burden of continually updating a post

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #593 of 925
Quote:

This might work perfectly, we can set up a wiki page somewhere and just use it as the clearinghouse to put links etc... then we just have to get someone to edit the first post with a link to the wiki.  That way no single person has to have the burden of continually updating a post

Me and two other posters will work on merging the threads, I'm not sure a wiki would work.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #594 of 925
Quote:
Me and two other posters will work on merging the threads, I'm not sure a wiki would work.

Thanks for taking that on --  really it's whatever works for the community, but there are hundreds if not thousands of use cases just like this.  The wiki becomes the place that information is easily and logically organized with FAQs, reviews etc... and the forum becomes the place where people come ask questions and discuss.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #595 of 925
Pre-ordered mine. Should I buy an inexpensive portable amp for these to use with my iPhone 5? If so, what is a good recommendation?

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #597 of 925

To elaborate, the cups are medium sized, but the depth means it may be too small for people with larger ears, since it's less than most medium-sized cups. For me, and other people with smaller ears, it hugs perfectly. Coupled with the super soft pleather/leather/whatever pads, and it's really comfortable - at least for me. If you want your ear to contact the driver cover, the M-100's would be your best bet, assuming you like their Sound Signature.

Ok thanks guys! I might send these back and just preorder these headphones! But, this broke college student life is tough lol xD

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #598 of 925
Quote:
Pre-ordered mine. Should I buy an inexpensive portable amp for these to use with my iPhone 5? If so, what is a good recommendation?

The iPhone 5 isn't gonna work very well with amps anymore now that it doesn't have a real line out function without that dock adapter!  But you should probably be fine, the onboard amp should be more than adequate for portable use.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #599 of 925
Quote:
The iPhone 5 isn't gonna work very well with amps anymore now that it doesn't have a real line out function without that dock adapter!  But you should probably be fine, the onboard amp should be more than adequate for portable use.

I did read the built in amp on the Iphone 5 isn't quite as good as the Iphone 4/4S.  The cost of the dock adapter isn't prohibitive, but the amp option is a consideration as it does offer somewhat of an improvement, particularly with some additional bass impact.  I agree it is not necessary, but a nice option.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #600 of 925
Quote:
I did read the built in amp on the Iphone 5 isn't quite as good as the Iphone 4/4S.  The cost of the dock adapter isn't prohibitive, but the amp option is a consideration as it does offer somewhat of an improvement, particularly with some additional bass impact.  I agree it is not necessary, but a nice option.

The cost isn't prohibitive, but it'll be huge to carry in your pocket!  Also, we don't know how nice the DAC in that thing is yet.  Still though, even if the amp in the iphone 5 isn't quite as good as the 4/4S, it'll still probably be good enough for portable use.  For home use, a desktop amp would probably help, but you probably won't be able to tell the difference outside with all of the noise going on around you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back