V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
Oct 22, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #647 of 925
copy/paste GO

M-100 VS. PRO700MK2ANV

Song Tested With:
DJ Shadow - 'Dat's My Part'
Mr. Scruff - 'Shrimp'
Hot Chip - 'Keep Fallin''
DJ Shadow - 'Walkie Talkie'

Unamped

Now this was pretty interesting. I first listened to the tracks with the M-100's, then switched to the MK2's and WOW are the MK2's more sensitive. Had to click my volume down a few notches.

This was the first instance in which I compared the M-100 with another headphone I own, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but the difference is huge. The MK2 is, first off, waaaaaaay more cramped that the M-100 (although this should go without saying, it was a night/day difference). Strangely enough, the M-100's highs also roll off BEFORE the MK2's. This is a GOOD thing. On the MK2's, the snare drum in a few pieces were piercing and...not the most pleasant. The M-100's highs are sparkly but not piercing. Very easy to listen to, while being clear and not dangerous to your hearing!

Next point, mids; Both cans share a U shape frequency curve. I'd say the MK2's mids were just a tad more recessed than the M-100's. Due to the wider soundstage of the M-100's, however, mids sound much nicer on them (as much as people say it's likely their weakest point).

Next, bass/lows; Um. Are my ears broken? No. Check. Double-check. The M-100 beats the MK2 in bass reproduction; both quantity and quality. No joke. Completely serious. I don't really even know what else to say.

WINNER: M-100 (by a few miles)

Amped w/ DigiZoid ZO2.3

Truth be told, no major differences from what I posted above.

One difference I would make note on is the fact that the MK2's actually lose a bit of detail across the spectrum when amped, and I actually see a larger improvement in the M-100's amped vs. unamped. This may be due to the fact that the MK2's are insanely easy to drive.

Concensus:

Do yourself a huge favor and use Miceblue's paper towel mod, buy a ZO2, and enjoy one of the best portable setups I have ever heard, ever.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #648 of 925

If I send this as my custom image, will they know to just take the wolf logo?

Can I have different designs for each side?

Is this hi enough res to come out on the shields well?

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #649 of 925
Quote:

Wow, thanks for sharing, I'm quite confident in the M100 now that the bass quantity will also be satisfactory for me at least when paired with ZO.

I even have a ZO2.1 personally which has a bit different sound signature compared to v2.3 and I have a feeling it will be an even better pair as v2.1 tends to bring especially lower-mids a bit more forward and more detailed (significantly so on my Q40) vs slightly smoothed out highs. It also has even greater bass punch to it than v2.3, so I'm quite interested to find out how it sounds with it but it also has higher hissing levels so hopefully it doesn't hiss too much but if it's not THAT sensitive, you said PRO700MK2 are more sensitive, it's a good sign as some of my 32 ohm headphones that are very sensitive it has faintly audible hissing with but some other 32 ohm headphone not.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #651 of 925
Quote:
Should I pre-order the M100 or buy the sennheiser momentum??

While personal taste of how it should sound like varies quite a bit from person to person, the general consensus is that M100 is significantly better. The Momentum is said to have slightly muddy bass and a bit peaky treble and M100 being better balanced with much better bass response quality and while M100 is very slightly emphasized in the highs, provides no sibilance issues at all (at least for no1 so far).

In terms of bang-for-the-buck, the M100 seems to exceed its price point (you can add like +$100 to its pricetag for a more accurate subjective reflection of percieved sound quality, again varies a bit from person to person but general concensus seems to be it's exceeding its pricepoint) while Momentum is slightly underperforming compared to other good performers in the same price segment, I haven't seen any1 that is willing to part with his M100 so far while I've seen several people that will return their Momentum (especially Sennheiser Amperior/HD25 users).

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #655 of 925
My headphones are being delivered in Texas! I don't know what's going on.

HotFieryTech

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #656 of 925
Quote:

While personal taste of how it should sound like varies quite a bit from person to person, the general consensus is that M100 is significantly better. The Momentum is said to have slightly muddy bass and a bit peaky treble and M100 being better balanced with much better bass response quality and while M100 is very slightly emphasized in the highs, provides no sibilance issues at all (at least for no1 so far).

In terms of bang-for-the-buck, the M100 seems to exceed its price point (you can add like +$100 to its pricetag for a more accurate subjective reflection of percieved sound quality, again varies a bit from person to person but general concensus seems to be it's exceeding its pricepoint) while Momentum is slightly underperforming compared to other good performers in the same price segment, I haven't seen any1 that is willing to part with his M100 so far while I've seen several people that will return their Momentum (especially Sennheiser Amperior/HD25 users).

Quote:
Having heard both, no brainer- M-100 preorder.

Thanks for the advice, It´s true, I will wait fot the M100 
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #657 of 925
Okay so apparently my whole order was an error and I have to wait like everyone else for my headphones to ship in December.

HotFieryTech

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #658 of 925
Have those of you who have the M-100s already try them with laptop usage (no amp or external DAC)? Particularily with games? Not so much shooting games but like RPGs, MMOs, and the like? I know they're good portables, but how do they stack up when being used on laptops (and/or desktops)?

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #660 of 925
Quote:
Have those of you who have the M-100s already try them with laptop usage (no amp or external DAC)? Particularily with games? Not so much shooting games but like RPGs, MMOs, and the like? I know they're good portables, but how do they stack up when being used on laptops (and/or desktops)?

The M-100 works fine for me through my MacBook (from late 2008). I'm not sure how detailed MMO's can get, but I play Spiral Knights on Steam and it does the job for me. The Boom Pro Mic cable had pretty good audio quality from a Skype chat I did with a friend last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back