V-Moda LP2 Review
Dec 3, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #61 of 142

Quote:
How do these compare to the ATH M50's and the Ultrasone HFI 580's. im looking at both pairs. and the HFI 580 is winning out on head-fi and around the web. the lp2 and the 580 are the same price right now. Which has better overal sound quality?

Oooh... This comparison, I'd love to hear.

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting the LP2, see how I like them as compared to my M-80. Don't know what do.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #62 of 142

Quote:
How do these compare to the ATH M50's and the Ultrasone HFI 580's. im looking at both pairs. and the HFI 580 is winning out on head-fi and around the web. the lp2 and the 580 are the same price right now. Which has better overal sound quality?

I like to think the LP2 would beat the m50 out on build quality and comfortability alone. Anything beyond that is just a bonus. I don't know much of anything about the HFI 580, but I've heard good things about Ultrasone and their higher end headphones. It all boils down to what you're looking for in terms of functionality and such. I honestly use my LP2's as if they were portables and have no problems at all.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #63 of 142
WE need a review from a headphone supreimus !!! :) :p  and yess. while looking into the M50's, the HFI 580's just kept popping up so i gave them a look. did some searches on the m50 vs HFI580...and the HFI580...got everyone's votes here on head fi so i went with it :) plus i got it on sale. MSRB in stores is $230. On amazon and around the web is $190+$10 shipping. On BH...$118 with free 3 day shipping :)

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #64 of 142
Well I'm back after a long week of exams... and I've still got two more weeks of this semester. Anyway, I decided to clear my mind and try something different. I usually don't venture into the unknown so blatantly, but I enjoyed this one.

I poked around on youtube for something super bass heavy, I had it in my mind to see what these cans can really do on the low end. I stumbled upon the video at the end of this post, and cranked the volume up as loud as I could take it. I closed my eyes and listened. It didn't seem to be as bass heavy as I thought. I sat and listened to more of the track because I enjoyed it, but when I got somewhere along the middle, the bass hit me hard. I opened my eyes and more or less was trying to figure out who had just clubbed me with a book or something. I began to look through the comments of the video, seeing things like "my speakers vibrated the jack out the back of my computer" or my [insert random cheap brand here] headphones just broke because of this. That was odd to me, because aside from the sound I was hearing, I didn't feel any vibrations... until I put my hand on the cups. They were shaking like a kitten having been left in the cold rain. I find this odd but perhaps a testament to V-Moda's cushions. When I removed my hands from the headphones, I couldn't feel any movement or vibrating of the cups themselves, but upon touching them, I feel vibrations running through my fingers.

Anyway, I had fun with that little escapade and wanted to share. It definitely cleared my head.
For a tl;dr, put your LP2's on, turn your volume up and watch this video.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #65 of 142
I am a retail vendor for many of the high end headphones retailers. My job is basically to know everything about all of my products. I sell mainly "mainstream brands" and vmoda is one of them. I will start by saying i listen to "younger generation music" and enjoy bass as it is a main focus of many songs particularly my electronic music. But i also like acoustic and classic rock, both of which I also believe benefit from having a solid bass presence. I think there should be enough bass to be able to hear every note present, and not drown any out. This is my consensus (for now)

Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD - Small, compact, light, portable. Great introduction to the world of high end headphones and the new levels of bass that can be achieved. Once compared to other high quality cans, the apparent lack of highs and mids is apparent with an almost muffled sound.

Beats By Dr. Dre Studios - LARGE, heavier, require batteries. Sound great better highs less bass, but i do not like having to put batteries in my headphones.

Ludacris Souls SL-100 - Much better sounding than the beats solo HD. Much crisper highs, but still plenty of bass like the HD's. Best for the size. I HATE the colors. It looks like fisher price made them...

VMODA LP Crossfades (LP1)- Great sound! Still have a lot of bass, but also much better highs. Sound like a cross between the beats studios and solos. Great mids/highs and booming bass. I was settled on keeping these until i read about the LP2s and M-80s, so i tried them too...

VMMODA M-80- Great mids and highs. Very noticeable reduction in bass though. I almost felt like not enough... I agree that the others can seem a bit bass heavy, but these seemed like they were lacking. I also was not as impressed with the fit. The beats solo HDs have a much better on ear feel however they have made my ears hurt after a while.. So i am still a bit undecided on the fit. But the clarity on these was what stood out the most. I tried on the LPs after and felt much more immersed in the music than with the M-80s. 

Finally I tried the VMODA LP2 Crossfades- I have been going back and fourth between the LP1s and LP2s all night.The LP2s are clearer overall and have less bass than the LP1s. I have been really torn between them. I got the LP1s for $120 and the LP2s cost me $179 so i am trying to justify the additional money. They are very close. It seems like some bass frequencies are just over done on the LP1s and cause a lot of the vibrating and possible distorting sounds. The LP2s handle this much better by providing less drowning bass while still being able to hit those low frequency sounds. There were some songs where the bass-heavy LP1s made the song sound much warmer and "real", voices sounded more natural, but more often than not the bass was a bit obtrusive. The LP2s are great. They provide all the low frequencies without sacrificing too much on the highs. No batteries! Full over ear headphones for the price of on ears beats! Metal Durable. SOLD

So for now I am keeping the LP2s as my home listening headphones. I have a small head and the large size  make these a bit cumbersome to use every day, but I know many customers that do use crossfades daily. So i am also keeping the beats HD as my daily beaters. (I paid $99) I might try to switch them out for the SL-100's for the better sound with equal bass and similar from factor, but the colors make me sick.

Thats my long story... Hope this helps some people.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #66 of 142
^ Nice story and comparison, I'm glad to see you're enjoying the LP2. Also, let me be the first to say welcome to head-fi!

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #67 of 142

Quote:
I am a retail vendor for many of the high end headphones retailers. My job is basically to know everything about all of my products. I sell mainly "mainstream brands" and vmoda is one of them. I will start by saying i listen to "younger generation music" and enjoy bass as it is a main focus of many songs particularly my electronic music. But i also like acoustic and classic rock, both of which I also believe benefit from having a solid bass presence. I think there should be enough bass to be able to hear every note present, and not drown any out. This is my consensus (for now)

Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD - Small, compact, light, portable. Great introduction to the world of high end headphones and the new levels of bass that can be achieved. Once compared to other high quality cans, the apparent lack of highs and mids is apparent with an almost muffled sound.

Beats By Dr. Dre Studios - LARGE, heavier, require batteries. Sound great better highs less bass, but i do not like having to put batteries in my headphones.

Ludacris Souls SL-100 - Much better sounding than the beats solo HD. Much crisper highs, but still plenty of bass like the HD's. Best for the size. I HATE the colors. It looks like fisher price made them...

VMODA LP Crossfades (LP1)- Great sound! Still have a lot of bass, but also much better highs. Sound like a cross between the beats studios and solos. Great mids/highs and booming bass. I was settled on keeping these until i read about the LP2s and M-80s, so i tried them too...

VMMODA M-80- Great mids and highs. Very noticeable reduction in bass though. I almost felt like not enough... I agree that the others can seem a bit bass heavy, but these seemed like they were lacking. I also was not as impressed with the fit. The beats solo HDs have a much better on ear feel however they have made my ears hurt after a while.. So i am still a bit undecided on the fit. But the clarity on these was what stood out the most. I tried on the LPs after and felt much more immersed in the music than with the M-80s. 

Finally I tried the VMODA LP2 Crossfades- I have been going back and fourth between the LP1s and LP2s all night.The LP2s are clearer overall and have less bass than the LP1s. I have been really torn between them. I got the LP1s for $120 and the LP2s cost me $179 so i am trying to justify the additional money. They are very close. It seems like some bass frequencies are just over done on the LP1s and cause a lot of the vibrating and possible distorting sounds. The LP2s handle this much better by providing less drowning bass while still being able to hit those low frequency sounds. There were some songs where the bass-heavy LP1s made the song sound much warmer and "real", voices sounded more natural, but more often than not the bass was a bit obtrusive. The LP2s are great. They provide all the low frequencies without sacrificing too much on the highs. No batteries! Full over ear headphones for the price of on ears beats! Metal Durable. SOLD

So for now I am keeping the LP2s as my home listening headphones. I have a small head and the large size  make these a bit cumbersome to use every day, but I know many customers that do use crossfades daily. So i am also keeping the beats HD as my daily beaters. (I paid $99) I might try to switch them out for the SL-100's for the better sound with equal bass and similar from factor, but the colors make me sick.

Thats my long story... Hope this helps some people.

Thanks for typing all of this :) and..ll be the second to welcome you to head-fi then.but i bet you were a long time lurker that just felt the urge to post your opinioin one day :)

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #68 of 142

I've purchased my LP2 and await it to see how they are. Going to audition them, since there's a 60 day thing through V-Moda's website.

Interestingly, I've come across a few reviews where they state that the LP2 aren't that bass heavy. Not sure what to make of that... I guess I'll see.

http://www.chipchick.com/2011/11/v-moda-crossfade-lp2-review.html - For Example. That website's covered all the V-Moda as well as other headphones. Not taking what the reviewer said as the holy grail, but was a different and interesting take on it.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #69 of 142

Quote:

I've purchased my LP2 and await it to see how they are. Going to audition them, since there's a 60 day thing through V-Moda's website.

Interestingly, I've come across a few reviews where they state that the LP2 aren't that bass heavy. Not sure what to make of that... I guess I'll see.

http://www.chipchick.com/2011/11/v-moda-crossfade-lp2-review.html - For Example. That website's covered all the V-Moda as well as other headphones. Not taking what the reviewer said as the holy grail, but was a different and interesting take on it.

Well for me having both frequency response graphs from Tyll and V-Moda showing the same story is enough to know where it stands in bass, this is a very bassheavy set, around 15dB boost from 15 to 200Hz.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #70 of 142

Quote:

I've had mine about a week now.   The more I listen to them, the more I like them.   I don't know if they are just getting "broke in" or what, but they seem to sound better everyday.   I don't think they are "too" bass heavy either.  It just depends on the song I guess, but overall I think they are fairly balanced.  

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #71 of 142

Quote:
I've had mine about a week now.   The more I listen to them, the more I like them.   I don't know if they are just getting "broke in" or what, but they seem to sound better everyday.   I don't think they are "too" bass heavy either.  It just depends on the song I guess, but overall I think they are fairly balanced.  

Glad to hear that. I'll agree that the cans are not too bass heavy. They definitely have more bass than what I was used to before I got the LP2, but even then I didn't find it overwhelming or oddly bass heavy. I was the same way with my LP2's; I liked them right out the box, but the more I listened, the more I liked.

I'm not going to claim that the LP2 do everything right or anything like that. I don't have enough experience to even begin to say that, and I'm sure that in the scope of things, they don't do everything right. However, they are a good all arounder headphone in my opinion. I can listen to everything from deathcore to post-hardcore to dubstep to soundtracks and everything sounds really good. I've had these for a little while, and I love them.

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #72 of 142

I... love my LP2.

I just got it tonight, and I can actually use them without my ZO2 and get a satisfying amount of bass. Paired with the ZO2? Even better. The mids are still very well done, but it's easy to notice that the highs and the mids aren't the same as the M-80's. That's not to say I'm not happy that it provides the perfect amount of bass, with very clear/smooth mids and highs.

The main selling point for me has been that they are FAR more comfortable as compared to the M-80's. No question at all, they fit comfortably on the head and provide a fantastic seal.

And my god the sound. I can't wait to get home and play some more stuff on them. I'll provide a full review later. Won't make a new thread, will just post it in here along with my pictures.

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #73 of 142

Quote:

I... love my LP2.

I just got it tonight, and I can actually use them without my ZO2 and get a satisfying amount of bass. Paired with the ZO2? Even better. The mids are still very well done, but it's easy to notice that the highs and the mids aren't the same as the M-80's. That's not to say I'm not happy that it provides the perfect amount of bass, with very clear/smooth mids and highs.

The main selling point for me has been that they are FAR more comfortable as compared to the M-80's. No question at all, they fit comfortably on the head and provide a fantastic seal.

And my god the sound. I can't wait to get home and play some more stuff on them. I'll provide a full review later. Won't make a new thread, will just post it in here along with my pictures.

Told you that you were doomed :wink:. Glad to hear that you're enjoying them. They really are amazing full sized headphones (although I use mine as portables). Looking forward to that review.

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #74 of 142

Quote:
Told you that you were doomed :wink:. Glad to hear that you're enjoying them. They really are amazing full sized headphones (although I use mine as portables). Looking forward to that review.

Doomed indeed. I'm in love with them already before the burn-in.

Gonna post some pictures first before I do my impressions.

Unpacked.

Familiar awesome case.

FINALLY GOT MY FADERS.

Simple minimalistic design, yet modern and sleek. Beautiful.

Extra shield. I'll have to get a custom set again.

Case size comparison.

Size comparison in cases.

Size comparison 1.

Size comparison 2. With a view of the new beautiful headband compared to previous one.

Size comparison 3 w/ a quarter. :wink:

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #75 of 142
Looks good up there. I've gotta say, I like the look of the LP2's cup finish more than the weirdly shiny m80. That, and the m80's are seriously small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back