1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

V-Moda earbud w/mic help

1. normanio
    Hello all. This is my first post on this forum and I'm excited to be a part of this common interest in life and this forum.  I need some help with a pair of V-Moda earbuds w/mic for my iphone.  From the start:
    1) 1 earbud was constantly going in/out of sound
    2)Post inspection, I narrowed it down to a piece of fraying wire at a junction of two wires
    3)I researched online.  (sadly, not from head-fi)
    4) I decided to purchase/replace a 90 deg switchcraft jack since failure was common at the jack from the research done.
    5) I snipped the wires so now I have 3 wires (1 to each earbud and 1 to the headphone jack)
    6) I am at a standstill so I can research
    Now given I am at this point I am ready to proceed but I didn't want to be too impulsive.  I can solder but I am brought some different types of application with this wire that I have never worked with.  The wire is really thin and have a sort of threading intertwined within the fabric sheathing that houses both of these.  Now I'm asking you all if my assumptions are correct and then some.
    -prep the wire by scraping off the paint insulation so I have solderable copper and get correct heat shrink tubing and slide it on prior to soldering. 
    -I just cut off the threading and solder the copper?
    -the major junction was covered by some sort of metal cylinder covering.  How could I solder the three wires to form a smooth junction that is heat shrinkable?
    -There are two tabs on the 35HDRANN switchcraft jack. (1 thin,1 fat) which one is ground and what goes where from headphone wires-switchcraft?
    -It having an in-line mic, are there any concerns I should be aware of?
    I like these a lot because I can talk on them and they're decent earbuds.  Please help me and give some advice.