V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,126 of 1,160
  Sounds like a channel imbalance. Manufacturing mistakes happen from time to time. Send them back for another pair.

Brought them to work and let a friend of mine who calls himself an audiophile listen to them and he immediately said there's a volume imbalance. Changed the cable, still an imbalance. Listened in bluetooth mode, still an imbalance. Looks like these are going back. I'm probably now done with V-Moda. It shouldn't be this hard to get a properly functioning set of headphones at this price.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,127 of 1,160
Brought them to work and let a friend of mine who calls himself an audiophile listen to them and he immediately said there's a volume imbalance. Changed the cable, still an imbalance. Listened in bluetooth mode, still an imbalance. Looks like these are going back. I'm probably now done with V-Moda. It shouldn't be this hard to get a properly functioning set of headphones at this price.

It shouldn't be, but it's the nature of mass production. Everyone gets a dud eventually. I had a Sony MDR-7506 and a Brainwavz M4 that had channel imbalances, the former developing over time and the latter dysfunctional out of the box.

My V-MODAs have not been without fault either with the pre-order M-100, that I received 4 months before it's retail launch and had a cracked wing plate, and my XS, that developed a loose wire and a deteriorated CliqFold hinge, both of which were promptly replaced when I inquired about them. The XS was even replaced by a brand new unit 1 year out of their standard 2-year warranty. New box, red ribbon, even new custom shields. Free V-Cork replacement? Check. Free cable replacement? Check and check again.

V-MODA isn't perfect and neither are their products, but they take care of their customers the way few companies do. I'm no longer as enamored with my M-100 and XS as I have graduated to more technically proficient gear, but I still use them more than any of my other on-ear and over-ear headphones.

I'm not afraid to drop them, or walk through a rain storm, or break a cable. I've been through it all with them, 5 years for the M-100 and 3 with the XS, and they are still to this day my most trusted sidekicks.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #1,128 of 1,160

That sucks. Royally.

To those that purchased from Amazon as well as elsewhere: Are they sold in open boxes (read: no plastic wrap, or tape-seals on the box-flaps, etc)?

@skyejack- I highly recommend to you and anyone investing in decent gear to have a few test tracks handy. Channel balance, in/out of phase check and so on. I have them on a CD from Sheffield Lab but there is bound to be such tracks for purchase online by now.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,129 of 1,160
  Sounds like a channel imbalance. Manufacturing mistakes happen from time to time. Send them back for another pair.

All three I bought originated from Amazon, but the last two were only fulfilled by Amazon, which means V-Moda shipped them the gear and Amazon sold it as is. The first pair I got from V-Moda was packaged exactly as I saw it in unboxing videos. The box itself was in a plastic bag, then red ribbon, the the carrying case was in another plastic bag. This second pair with the volume imbalance that also came from V-Moda lacked the ribbon, the outer plastic bag, and instead of being outside of the carrying case, the written material was inside of the case. In addition to the sound imbalance, the silver ear plates on the side were discolored, like the procedure to coat them in the matte silver wasn't applied throughout. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,132 of 1,160
So I created an account just to post about these headphones. I've been doing a/b tests with my 3 year old, broken m100s and the cross fade wireless in wired mode, and I'm sorry but I think it's no contest. I DJ and listen to a lot of electronic music in particular. The m100 has significantly more prominent sub bass, and things like kick drums hit a lot harder.

I run a bass test on all my audio gear, which cycles through sine waves at the low end of the spectrum. At full volume, the m100s felt like they were massaging my head. With the Crossfade wireless it just didn't feel the same.

Which is a pain in the rear, because I have an iPhone 7 and the built in wireless is fantastic for it.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #1,133 of 1,160
halyconaudio
Are you comparing the Crossfade Wireless wirelessly to the M-100, or are you comparing them wired?

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,134 of 1,160
This is in wired mode. I don't consider a downgrade in sound quality over wireless a bad thing, it just means the headphones are easier to use on the go. But I've found when connected with a cable to a variety of sources, the m100 has a much nicer response in the lower frequencies. The headphones physically vibrate a little and consequently things like the kick-drum feel way more punchy. Maybe there is more articulation in the highs with the newer crossfades, but they lose out on that visceral bass, and are more fatiguing to listen to. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #1,135 of 1,160
I've had my V-Moda Crossfade Wireless for two weeks now. I enjoy them so much, I've actually had to put them aside for a couple evenings because I was overdosing on music intake. The thump thump thumping bass without distortion is amazing. The clarity and separation on the highs, mids bring bring forward subtleties I've never noticed in recordings that I have enjoyed 100 times before - like the cymbal play in Transitions by Ween, or the depth of layers in Genocide by Dr. Dre and One of Them by Negativland and the clear separation and depth of instruments on Ebo Lala by Mulatu Astatke, It's like listening to them for the first time. Outside of my home, I usually listen to music from my iPhone through a Cozoy Astrapi mini DAC amplifier. There's no need for the Astrapi with these V-Modas. Highly recommended!

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,136 of 1,160
So with the V-moda crossfade wireless 2 out, has anyone gotten a set and done a side by side? 
Aside from folding and coming stock with the XL pads (which I consider a big deal) what are the real differences?

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,137 of 1,160
...So with the V-moda crossfade wireless 2 out, has anyone gotten a set and done a side by side? 
Aside from folding and coming stock with the XL pads (which I consider a big deal) what are the real differences?

Not to hijack your question but related to the 2.0s - what's with V-Moda's decision to equip only the rose-gold variant with AptX...
blink.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #1,138 of 1,160
  So with the V-moda crossfade wireless 2 out, has anyone gotten a set and done a side by side? 

not possible unless you are with c-net or something.. I believe they ship for the first time to initial buyers tomorrow.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #1,140 of 1,160
  It's a totally valid question. I wonder if they have a trade in program.
They allegedly have bigger drivers, but from what I can see they're still listing them as 50 mm.

Yes the immortal life program applies, 50% off if you trade in. I was not stating your question wasn't valid, I was just saying unless your a major product reviewer that v-moda will send a set to before release, they aren't able to be obtained by the average consumer as they aren't officially in stores until tomorrow.

Edit: since they will be out though, expect those comparisons soon :)  Drivers are still 50mm as before, but it is a new driver vs the m100 cw1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back