V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 25, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #631 of 1,160
To me it's pretty silly that anyone would prefer the M100s over the CFW.  The CFW sound is slightly more refined (especially on the top end, and a the mids are a bit more forward) version of the M100 in wired mode.  So even if you take the wireless part out of the equation the CFW is a nicer sound anyway.  Add on the wireless implementation and it's just icing on the cake.  There's pretty much no reason to get the M100s unless price is of utmost concern.

This ^^ I will add that the only reason to get an M-100 is if you want the folding mechanism. But other wise the CFW is a no-brainer if you want an upgrade when wired and pretty much the same SQ as M-100 when wireless.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #632 of 1,160
Lack of the folding mechanism is why I haven't already bought them

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #633 of 1,160
From Jude in gift-guide, his review of Crossfade Wireless is in!

Written by Jude Mansilla

The V-MODA M-100 is a special headphone to this community, because the people here helped design and give voice to it. The M-100 genuinely was a crowd-sourced product development effort, and it has also been V-MODA's flagship for a few years now. On top of that, the M-100 has been V-MODA's best selling headphone since its launch.

Something people have been asking for from V-MODA for years is a Bluetooth wireless headphone. I'm one of those people--like others, I've been nagging V-MODA founder and CEO Val Kolton for a wireless headphone since before the M-100's launch. Well, it's finally here.

Given the success of the M-100, it should't come as any surprise that V-MODA chose the M-100 platform as the starting point for its wireless headphone. The M-100's sound signature has appealed to both general consumers and audio enthusiasts alike. The M-100's brand of bass emphasis startslow, and and then tails off in a manner that smartly leaves the mids relatively unruffled. As I've said about the M-100 elsewhere in the Guide: "The M-100's mids are detailed, if not just somewhat subdued with its framing between the prominent bass on the one side, and the soaring treble on the other. Imaging is surprisingly spacious for a closed headphone whose drivers don't appear to me to be at all canted at an angle, like we see on so many headphones today."

Now imagine that with time under their belt--and knowing they'd have to charge more for a wireless version of it--that V-MODA might actually try to refine the headphone's sound while they were in there, further strengthening the new headphone's place as V-MODA's flagship. That's just what they did, to my ears toning down the treble side of the more U-shaped M-100 curve. Probably due in part to that and other tuning, the Crossfade Wireless' mids sound more present than the M-100's. Will every M-100 fan like the changes? Not necessarily. For me, on balance, the change is positive. If you think the M-100's treble perfect, as is, for your tastes, then perhaps you'll find the Crossfade Wireless a bit subdued up top.

As for its capabilities as a wireless headphone, the Crossfade Wireless can simultaneously pair with two sources, so you could, for example, pair it with your laptop and your smartwatch. Also, as an avid smartwatch user, Val insisted that the Crossfade Wireless' antenna work well with them, as they typically have much shorter signal ranges.

The Crossfade Wireless' battery life while wireless is rated at 12 hours of music listening. A 30-minute quick charge will buy 3+ hours of wireless life, which is nice for road warriors who might run it down fully on occasion. And what if you do run it down? Val was adamant that the headphones perform strongly--and as identically as possible--whether in wireless mode, or in passive mode, and I think they've met that mark. So even if you run that battery down completely, you've got the wired option that requires no battery.

The wired option is also great if you want to need zero latency (like when watching a movie, gaming, etc.), or if you want to plug the headphone into a high-end DAC/amp.

The Crossfade Wireless comes packaged with a 1-button SpeakEasy Mic Cable, a micro USB cable, and a carrying case. Unfortunately, the Crossfade wireless does not fold like an M-100, so the Crossfade Wireless' carrying case is larger than the M-100's.

The V-MODA Crossfade Wireless is available in four colors, and can be customized with V-MODA's laser-etched 2-D shields, or their new 3-D-printed shields (which is what I went with).

It's been a long time coming, but, in my opinion, the V-MODA Crossfade Wireless was worth the wait.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #634 of 1,160
Still keen to acquire these but lack of UK availability may push me elsewhere, which I'd rather not.

So, any clarity on UK availability yet? I'd like to get them before Xmas.

Amazon - I check Amazon UK regularly, the CFW are now referenced there but never available. Once available would I be able to order XL pads there too? At the momens it seems not.

Selfridges - mentioned by Val earlier on this thread but they have no V-MODA information on their website at all.

I'd recommend trying to get CFW sold via John Lewis as a nationwide department store with a good tech dept that is well regarded by AV buyers in the UK, and a reputation for high quality and good service.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #635 of 1,160
John Lewis would be a great outlet for V-Moda I agree.

Also trying to pick up a pair in the UK - seems like mission impossible.  

I'm toying with the idea of buying direct with V-Moda, but with customs fees it will be more than UK retail.  Plus the hassle of sending international if anything goes wrong with it is putting me off. Wish AmazonUK would be more clear with their ETAs.

They were available on Amazon in the USA and I wanted to import them but as they have a battery in them they're prohibited to ship them to the UK.  UGH.. quite annoying.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #636 of 1,160
Hi All,

I have a couple of questions for some of the members who might be able to offer some advise on the below.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am currently torn between getting the "V-Moda crossfade wireless headphones" (if it ever becomes stocked/available in the UK) and the "Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones II" headphones. They are both very good headphones and if anyone happens to own both of those, I would be really interested in knowing which one you prefer. There was also one thing I couldn't find any information on for the V-Moda wireless headphones. The "Bose" headphones when turned on have an audio message saying how many hours are left of battery usage, which is really nice feature, enough so that when its a close call between 2 items that can be a tie breaker for me. Does the V-Moda wireless have anything similar for a battery indicator, how does it handle the battery indicator side of things?

Another important element for me is sound leakage, when I use headphones I am usually in a reasonable quiet location and it can be fairly important that what I am listening to is not something everyone else has to listen to as well. If you play the headphones at a respectable volume how much of it can be heard by the people around you?

Finally a question for Val if he still lurks in this thread, are there any plans for an official UK distributor? The reason I ask is I have seen some manufacturer warranties only honored when the item is bought from an official re-seller, and where it is voided if bought from anywhere else (i.e., soundmagic wp10). Will the same be true for the "V-Moda crossfade wireless" for the UK?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice to offer on the above.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #637 of 1,160

I'm toying with the idea of buying direct with V-Moda, but with customs fees it will be more than UK retail.  Plus the hassle of sending international if anything goes wrong with it is putting me off. Wish AmazonUK would be more clear with their ETAs.

They were available on Amazon in the USA and I wanted to import them but as they have a battery in them they're prohibited to ship them to the UK.  UGH.. quite annoying.

I also considered ordering from the V-MODA website but had the same concerns as you. So I'm checking UK availability regularly but it's frustrating. I did see one site called eGlobal Central UK selling them but the website didn't fill me with confidence, based in Hong Kong so I'm not convinced. I prefer to buy from online vendors that I know and trust.

As I understand it, V-MODA have an Italian facility also, so perhaps that could be a shipping/logistics base for Europe to help make it easier for European customers to buy V-MODA products at some point in the future?

Right now it's difficult. My strong preference is CFW headphones but I need them before Xmas so may need to reconsider the Sennheiser Momentum wireless as they are available here and I can demo them in store. That's also a challenge with V-MODA in the UK as we have to rely on online and user reviews. I did that when I bought my Crossfade M80s and don't regret it one bit, but it would be good to get the chance to demo before buying. V-MODA could do very well in the UK with better retail coverage, in my opinion.

That said, if a trusted UK online vendor had CFW available I'd buy them today, without a personal demo, such is my faith in them being a quality product.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #638 of 1,160
I also considered ordering from the V-MODA website but had the same concerns as you. So I'm checking UK availability regularly but it's frustrating. I did see one site called eGlobal Central UK selling them but the website didn't fill me with confidence, based in Hong Kong so I'm not convinced. I prefer to buy from online vendors that I know and trust.

As I understand it, V-MODA have an Italian facility also, so perhaps that could be a shipping/logistics base for Europe to help make it easier for European customers to buy V-MODA products at some point in the future?

Right now it's difficult. My strong preference is CFW headphones but I need them before Xmas so may need to reconsider the Sennheiser Momentum wireless as they are available here and I can demo them in store. That's also a challenge with V-MODA in the UK as we have to rely on online and user reviews. I did that when I bought my Crossfade M80s and don't regret it one bit, but it would be good to get the chance to demo before buying. V-MODA could do very well in the UK with better retail coverage, in my opinion.

That said, if a trusted UK online vendor had CFW available I'd buy them today, without a personal demo, such is my faith in them being a quality product.

I'd give those a miss, I tried them before and they're not great.  If everything I read about the CFW is true, these should be much better.

Also, just so you're aware, you can order from any EU amazon store and ship to the UK - I placed an order with amazon.fr i think it was - worked out as £225 shipped as opposed to UK retail of £250.  They're awaiting stock but at least I save £25.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #639 of 1,160
I'd give those a miss, I tried them before and they're not great.  If everything I read about the CFW is true, these should be much better.

Also, just so you're aware, you can order from any EU amazon store and ship to the UK - I placed an order with amazon.fr i think it was - worked out as £225 shipped as opposed to UK retail of £250.  They're awaiting stock but at least I save £25.

Thanks, appreciate your perspective on the Momentums. Most reviews I've read have been more positive other than the early Bluetooth connectivity issues. But CFW are my clear preference. I need to apply the patience button :D

Agree re Amazon, in fact I looked at Amazon France for that very reason this morning. Same issue, no stock.

I also thought about the Immortal Life trade in offer via the V-MODA website. That would give me a $75 saving on CFW which would perhaps balance out the additional custom / tax costs for importing into the UK. But I'd have to destroy my M80s which I'd rather not do, I plan to pass them on to my son, he will love them.

So - I will try to stick to my plan and hold out for CFW but would appreciate some guidance from V-MODA on when availability in UK / Europe is likely.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #640 of 1,160
Val was very kind to indicate to me that Amazon UK were expecting stock soon and I placed an order with them after that information.  I received them yesterday - haven't got round to unboxing them just yet due to errands (also have a gremlin at home!).

Hope Val can give us insight on when Amazon UK can expect their shipments of the CFW - as I would like to order them asap before xmas too.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #641 of 1,160

Just in case it makes a difference: I ordered direct from V-MODA to the UK. Also ordered extra (personalised) shields and a Boompro. Got hit by customs; came in at a shade over sixty quid.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #642 of 1,160
Hi All,

Does the V-Moda wireless have anything similar for a battery indicator, how does it handle the battery indicator side of things?

Using mine with an iPhone 6, a little battery indicator appears on the phone when it's Bluetoothed up with the CFW.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #643 of 1,160
Just in case it makes a difference: I ordered direct from V-MODA to the UK. Also ordered extra (personalised) shields and a Boompro. Got hit by customs; came in at a shade over sixty quid.

Thanks man.  Did it sit in customs for a while? I remember when I ordered the XS, it sat for a week in customs which was really annoying.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #644 of 1,160
Nah, straight through. I'd ordered fast postage – although not sure that would make any difference to their speed through customs.

Can't remember the courier used, but I got an email warning me that I'd have to pay the courier upon arrival. Means it probably wasn't DHL – when I've had deliveries from them, they've invoiced me separately (meaning there's no risk to the delivery time of the item).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back