V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 13, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #211 of 1,160
I went with gunmetal and this wait is getting annoying. I understand quality product but why ship out certain colors when they're not all ready to be shipped out at once. Should have held off shipping them out till they all came in.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #212 of 1,160
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
I understand being frustrated over the wait, but calling things ridiculous is a bit much at this point. In the original post Val said the units were expected to ship in ~3 weeks. That post was made <4 weeks ago. Any time a new product is announced and released there is a possibility of delays. I'd look at the early availability of the white and chrome as a bonus to those who ordered them, not a negative to those who ordered other colors. Personally, I'd rather them take a little longer and get a quality product to me rather than rushing out something with a high defect rate.

For the record, I'm in the same boat. Anxiously awaiting a gunmetal pair.

He said 2 weeks for preorders, 3 weeks for official release. Then later on he said 2-4 weeks for red and gunmetal preorders to be shipped. At that point our preorders will coming out when official release ones will coming out. Oh well, I still think it's rediculous. Production is something you project extra time for in the future and then give ample time for release, including preorders. Once you make an official release and say, oh yeah only half of our models will be available, oops! That's not right. Just release all of them at the same time. Plus look at the mess this thread this has become. I like vmoda. I owned the m100 and enjoyed them. I don't want to bash them. But this whole fiasco has been a train wreck. Missing features for odd reasons. Delays that they should hAve accounted for (if you delay to perfect something you should have known there would have been some sort of issue before hand. Now if he said a vital machine broke down and it'll take time fix or there has been serious production issue then I could believe that). Oh well, let's see how they respond.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #214 of 1,160
He said 2 weeks for preorders, 3 weeks for official release. Then later on he said 2-4 weeks for red and gunmetal preorders to be shipped. At that point our preorders will coming out when official release ones will coming out. Oh well, I still think it's rediculous. Production is something you project extra time for in the future and then give ample time for release, including preorders. Once you make an official release and say, oh yeah only half of our models will be available, oops! That's not right. Just release all of them at the same time. Plus look at the mess this thread this has become. I like vmoda. I owned the m100 and enjoyed them. I don't want to bash them. But this whole fiasco has been a train wreck. Missing features for odd reasons. Delays that they should hAve accounted for (if you delay to perfect something you should have known there would have been some sort of issue before hand. Now if he said a vital machine broke down and it'll take time fix or there has been serious production issue then I could believe that). Oh well, let's see how they respond.

You don't want to bash them and I don't want to come across as an apologist, but I think there are some misconceptions at play here.

First, Val didn't say 2 weeks for pre-orders and 3 for official release. He said Head--Fi members were getting a 2 week window to place pre-orders prior to ordering being opened up to the general public. In most industries, pre-orders do NOT get you early access to the product, they place you first in line for the product as it becomes available at release.

No one has said that they delayed to perfect anything, either. The defect rate for a new product is highest in the initial units off the line. Val has said that they are producing the first units at a slower rate to avoid this potential issue. I applaud this decision.

As for missing features, that and the "mess" this thread has become is due to Head-Fi members with preconceived notions about features that they feel should have been included demanding explanations for why something was/was not included. To the best of my knowledge, no features that the product was advertised to have has been found to be omitted. V-Moda tries to be one of the more open and responsive companies, but they are under no obligation to provide explanations as to the feature set and rationale behind it. It's up to us to decide whether it is what we are looking for.

The idea that V-Moda should leave produced inventory sitting in their warehouse unshipped is ridiculous. This idea that it is unfair that someone else has gotten their new toy first is ridiculous to me.

As I said, V-Moda tries to be more open and responsive than most. They went out of their way to open preorders here first and offered a VERY generous incentive on top of that and folks are complaining and threatening to cancel orders because a subset of the product is a week late at most, at this point. I would just like to see us keep things in perspective so that we don't deter V-Moda (or another company) from doing something like this for our community in the future.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #215 of 1,160
^^
Well said.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #218 of 1,160
You don't want to bash them and I don't want to come across as an apologist, but I think there are some misconceptions at play here.
First, Val didn't say 2 weeks for pre-orders and 3 for official release. He said Head--Fi members were getting a 2 week window to place pre-orders prior to ordering being opened up to the general public. In most industries, pre-orders do NOT get you early access to the product, they place you first in line for the product as it becomes available at release.

No one has said that they delayed to perfect anything, either. The defect rate for a new product is highest in the initial units off the line. Val has said that they are producing the first units at a slower rate to avoid this potential issue. I applaud this decision.

As for missing features, that and the "mess" this thread has become is due to Head-Fi members with preconceived notions about features that they feel should have been included demanding explanations for why something was/was not included. To the best of my knowledge, no features that the product was advertised to have has been found to be omitted. V-Moda tries to be one of the more open and responsive companies, but they are under no obligation to provide explanations as to the feature set and rationale behind it. It's up to us to decide whether it is what we are looking for.

The idea that V-Moda should leave produced inventory sitting in their warehouse unshipped is ridiculous. This idea that it is unfair that someone else has gotten their new toy first is ridiculous to me.

As I said, V-Moda tries to be more open and responsive than most. They went out of their way to open preorders here first and offered a VERY generous incentive on top of that and folks are complaining and threatening to cancel orders because a subset of the product is a week late at most, at this point. I would just like to see us keep things in perspective so that we don't deter V-Moda (or another company) from doing something like this for our community in the future.

Gonna play devil's advocate. The main post does say that the units would ship in 3 weeks. It's about four weeks now, and there's no word on half of the orders. Also, if half his production units aren't ready for retail (Gunmetal/Rouge), why open up for public release this past Tueday if the pre-order customers are still waiting on their units? I just find it all a little strange. Like on the official product page, it now says Gunmetal/Rouge will take ~4-6 weeks to ship. One week ago in this thread, he said another ~2-3 weeks. That means the ship date should've been 1-2 weeks now. Now it's a full or more month's delay and he didn't notify pre-sale customers. That's not laudable.

And that whole CliqFold debacle, it would've been fine if he just kept avoiding the question as previously done, companies aren't obligated to explain design decisions. But then V-Moda had one of their reps justify it as "People prefer no CliqFold." 
  Many V-MODA customers & fans prefer the non-foldable version of our headphones.

People prefer no CliqFold..? A straight answer would've been great. A non-answer would've been acceptable. But the way they handled it is just confusing. Half the thread is about why CliqFold isn't present and they say this. 

Anyway, I agree that people shouldn't get upset if the product is a week late, but he's proposing a 1-2 month delay now and he didn't even update this thread, his pre-sale customers who ordered, about the change. 

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #219 of 1,160
Gonna play devil's advocate. The main post does say that the units would ship in 3 weeks. It's about four weeks now, and there's no word on half of the orders. Also, if half his production units aren't ready for retail (Gunmetal/Rouge), why open up for public release this past Tueday if the pre-order customers are still waiting on their units? I just find it all a little strange. Like on the official product page, it now says Gunmetal/Rouge will take ~4-6 weeks to ship. One week ago in this thread, he said another ~2-3 weeks. That means the ship date should've been 1-2 weeks now. Now it's a full or more month's delay and he didn't notify pre-sale customers. That's not laudable.

And that whole CliqFold debacle, it would've been fine if he just kept avoiding the question as previously done, companies aren't obligated to explain design decisions. But then V-Moda had one of their reps justify it as "People prefer no CliqFold." 
People prefer no CliqFold..? A straight answer would've been great. A non-answer would've been acceptable. But the way they handled it is just confusing. Half the thread is about why CliqFold isn't present and they say this. 

Anyway, I agree that people shouldn't get upset if the product is a week late, but he's proposing a 1-2 month delay now and he didn't even update this thread, his pre-sale customers who ordered, about the change. 

Oh, I certainly agree that certain aspects of this situation were not handled optimally on the V-Moda end. The Cliq-fold would definitely have been better left "unexplained".

I would not, however, jump to the conclusion that the Gunmetal and Rouge are delayed another 4-6 weeks. The website lists the estimated delivery time for orders placed today, not past orders.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #220 of 1,160
Even though I'm not interested in purchasing wireless headphones, I personally don't see what all the fuss is about, either.

The only minor "beef" I'd have at this point is the lack of technical details about the internal amplifier -- specifically the power output. But I see that the Crossfade Wireless headphone drivers have 4 extra dB of sensitivity than the M-100s, which means the wireless ones would only need 40% as much amplifier power to have the same loudness level.

In other words, if the internal amp is 10mW per channel, then this would be equivalent to the M-100 receiving 25mW per channel.

Perhaps eventually, InnerFidelity or other tech gurus will put these new gadgets to the test and give us the real tech-spec rundown.

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #221 of 1,160
After reading camaker's post I decide to just wait a little longer. I am just REALLY excited for these to come in. Gnarled also makes a good point, as does everyone else. That is the nature of things here. At this point I have no portables, since I sold my m-100 for a schiit stack much earlier in both the anticipation of the Vmoda Wireless and to power my DT 990s 600 ohm ( oh god they're so fun!). So I'm missing out on my tunes at college and the waiting plus the lack of any email notifications is putting me off. 

I do love V-moda though. Their products are top notch amazing. Even though the sound should be similar m100, I'm subsisting with a half working IEM haha and that **** ain't cutting it.

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #223 of 1,160
Some very interesting quotes from the CNET initial impressions. 

V-Moda's CEO Val Kolton set out on a mission to make a Bluetooth wireless headphone that would sound as good as the company's flagship over-ear model, the Crossfade M-100, which earned a CNET's Editors' Choice Award back in 2012. After many months of trying, he was forced to admit defeat, but that's not such a bad thing considering the company wouldn't have released its new Crossfade Wireless ($300) if he hadn't.

"I spent a lot of time trying to make a wireless headphone that sounded as good as our M-100 wired headphone," Kolton said. "We got very close, but we didn't quite get there [in wireless mode]."

Kolton says he and his engineers got 95 percent of the way there and give or take a percent or two, he may be right based on my short listening experience with an early sample.

In terms of extra features, the headphone doesn't have dual microphones so you can hear your voice inside the headphone when you're talking to someone on your cell phone, but Kolton says the single microphone is very high quality

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #224 of 1,160
And according to cnet and it's review, the coupon for the free shield voucher valued at 150$ is available to everyone who buys from the website?? I thought this was an exclusive deal for pre-sale only? And the remark about not getting there???? Would love to know what is going on now.

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #225 of 1,160
And according to cnet and it's review, the coupon for the free shield voucher valued at 150$ is available to everyone who buys from the website?? I thought this was an exclusive deal for pre-sale only? And the remark about not getting there???? Would love to know what is going on now.

He made a post about pushing the expiration to 9/30, I guess he extended the 'pre-sale' offer to anyone and everyone. Shady. Then the not getting there I feel is pretty straightforward, he couldn't overcome the audio compression, so it'll sound worse in wireless mode as expected. 

I'll be honest and say I'm taken aback by the extension of the shield voucher. I wanted to wait out at least some kind of initial impression, but when members in this forum had originally noticed the first voucher ended on 8/31, I rushed to order. Now people will be able to order before October, still get the voucher, and see initial reviews and impressions while HF forum members are the ones who've been taken along for the blind ride. Extra shady.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back