V-Moda Crossfade M-80 Initial Impressions/Review (Not chosen for the Sponsor Review, but bought a pair anyways)
Sep 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 35
Only had mine for a couple of days but here's some impressions..
Can they compete with full size headphones.. don't think so.. they're still over the ear closed headphones.. I tried the Denon 100th Anniversary about a month ago ad from I remember, I'd prefer them, but they were not my target next purchase. I still prefer my HD650's.
Soundstage.. I'd say about the same as the HD25's. (I have about 30 hours on the M-80's so far)
Isolation.. though I haven't used them on a commute, I've been testing against the HD25's side by side out of a FiiO E7 and believe that the M-80's will isolate better.  Hard to describe the the fit but it is tighter and feels more closed in (not sure I like that right now).  I'll see how the fit breaks on.

Quote:
Can't wait to get my hands on these already. Nice impressions sempermalum!

Someone mentioned that these can compete with full-size headphones - would you all agree? If that's true it's about time a company made a headphone that could. I don't know much about how drivers are built and all the technical details, but I just don't buy the fact that it is that difficult to give headphones with smaller drivers a decent amount of soundstage when iems are so small yet there are several that easily have wider soundstage than something like the hd25. And perhaps wider than the dt1350 since from what I read there's not much of an improvement on soundstage over the hd25. Can anyone also comment on the isolation vs. The hd25? Has anyone used them on a commute yet?

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 35
@roma101: I use the M80's everyday on my hour long bus ride to school. My bus (the bus itself, not the people) is incredibly loud, and the M80's themselves muffle the sound considerably. With music at a bit lower than half volume, I can hardly hear the bus. So, the isolation is good when no music is playing, and great with music playing. Also, they block out the noise at lunch pretty well, and conversations are unintelligible, even at the same table. They are best at drowning out lower-frequencies sounds, though.

Not sure on HD-25 comparisons, haven't used one in a while. Though I do believe the HD-25 isolates a bit better in general.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #18 of 35

I don't think they can necessarily compete directly with many beloved full size headphones, but they are very comparable with the sound. They do a great job of isolation as well, so that using them as your commute headphones is probably ideal. They're very durable and stylish, like they're meant to be taken outside and shown off.

I've even used them for gaming, playing Dead Island and Deus Ex on my PC. I think if V-Moda adds a fantastic noise-cancelling mic, and expands the sound stage while keeping the same sound quality, they'd be the ideal for gaming.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #19 of 35
Hey, sorry to kinda digress, but any Singaporeans or anyone not from the US that has bought the M-80's? I read that the US$35 expedited shipping, is strictly for the shipping only and that i would have to incur any extra tax or whatnot that the Singapore side charges. Does anyone know how much extra besides the shipping they will be charging? Also, how long would the shipping take? Thank you so so so much for answering!

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #20 of 35
Mickyvee thanks for your impressions. When I said something about t competing with a full size I didn't mean any of the heavyweights like the hd650 - that headphone must be in a league of its own for sure. Although now that we are on the subject of the 650s how would you say the timbre is on the m80s vs the 650s? Do they get anywhere close to the 650 in just the natural representation of the instruments? When someone mentioned they could be comparable to full size cans I was thinking more along the lines of the m50, hfi 580, srh840 etc. Good to hear they may isolate more than the hd25s. It's all about the seal.

Thanks for your impression extra and semperfalum it helps a lot in trying to picture how well it isolates. I should be getting them in the beginning of October or so. I'm pretty psyched.

Tom as much as I wanted to try the dt1350s I'm forgetting about them more and more as I read about the m80s. I'm hoping these are my cup of tea. They're definitely calling my name. I've been looking for another portable to compliment the hd25s but that sound more full and a little more spacious/airy. I hope these fit the bill.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #21 of 35

Here's an update, and then I believe I'll have a full review as I've burned in about 60+ hours now:

I got my custom plates on Saturday. Here's some pictures of them attached:

A side view.

Top down-ish view.

Direct view of the logo. Woulda liked the circle be more centered, but it looks fantastic. I might have to buy another set just for when I feel in a different mood.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #22 of 35
Hey Roma.. sound signature is similar to the HD25's & the HD650's, but more of it.  Better dynamics.  I like listening to Enigma because there is a lot going on in their music and I can still focus on individual instruments. Not sure if the instruments sound 'natural', but they sound good to me. (not sure if that answers your question.. just a noob at this point).

The only problem at this point is that I like them so much that I'm listening to them at much louder levels than I'm used to.  My ears are ringing at the end of my sessions. If they had the airiness of the 650's, they'd be perfect. They seem a little more closed in than the HD25's but I definitely find them  little more engaging.

Some examples.. 
AC/DC Thunderstruck.. actually feel the thunder, emotionally and physically, more so over any of the Senns.
Dead Can Dance / Wind that Shakes the Barley.. vocals a re emotional and engaging, again, a little more so than the Senns.
Enigma.. still catching and loving all the detail and stuff going around in most of their music.  Fun!

If you're into fun and engaging with good detail and fabulous dynamics, these are it.  If its about critical detail, leave it to the big guns.

Absolutely no regrets purchasing them.  They're keepers for me. Hope this helps.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
 I think if V-Moda adds a fantastic noise-cancelling mic, and expands the sound stage while keeping the same sound quality, they'd be the ideal for gaming.

The M80's included advertising literature which showed a new version of their Crossfade LP headphones. If the sound quality is as good as the M80's, than maybe that will do. I'm a bit skeptical though, as the original LP's didn't even come close to the M80's.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #24 of 35

Here's an update, and then I believe I'll have a full review as I've burned in about 60+ hours now:

I got my custom plates on Saturday. Here's some pictures of them attached:

A side view.

Top down-ish view.

Direct view of the logo. Woulda liked the circle be more centered, but it looks fantastic. I might have to buy another set just for when I feel in a different mood.

So the custom plate is only one side? What we the dimensions for the file you sent them for your custom plate design? By the way, cute faceplate! :)

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #25 of 35
I think he only bothered to show the one side since the design is the same on both sides, but there is two face plates.

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #26 of 35
I think he only bothered to show the one side since the design is the same on both sides, but there is two face plates.

Hmmm, you're right. If both sides are the same why bother showing the same design twice? Anyway, congratulations on getting chosen for the audio voyage! Have you gotten the M-80's yet? Can't wait for all your impressions and reviews!

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #27 of 35
Mickey thanks for the great in-depth impressions they were definitely really helpful. :) it's good to hear how great they sound and that they sound fuller than the hd25s. And if you can enjoy enigma on them then there's something to be said about the soundstage I think. Pretty awesome. Sorry about your ears ringing though I hope that doesn't happen to me if I'm in loud places like a train. I try to keep my volume levels in check but when you're on a train it's easier to increase the volume as you go. Hopefully the isolation will be as good or better than the hd25s.

Semper cute logo! And I'd also like to know is the logo on both sides? Or can you choose to have either both side or one side?

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #28 of 35
Semper, you are my hero for putting that logo on there. Ghost in a Shell ftw.

Would you say I can ditch my sennheiser HD 598 for these? :wink: really loving the deal they have here

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:
So the custom plate is only one side? What we the dimensions for the file you sent them for your custom plate design? By the way, cute faceplate!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Semper cute logo! And I'd also like to know is the logo on both sides? Or can you choose to have either both side or one side?

The logo I sent was originally 1200x1200 with inverted colors to make it black and white. The logo is indeed on both sides, but I'm sure if you sent two logos in, they'd be more than happy to put them both on. When they shipped it in, they include a small tool for the screws which was a lot tougher than expected. Make no mistake, having the custom plates really adds a LOT to the dynamic of having the M-80's. It really feels like it was personally crafted for you, being very durable and well built, while having phenomenal sound.

Quote:
Semper, you are my hero for putting that logo on there. Ghost in a Shell ftw.

Would you say I can ditch my sennheiser HD 598 for these?
wink.gif
really loving the deal they have here

Yes sir! I was torn between the Dai-Gurren logo, the Ghost in the Shell logo and a few others. Ultimately, I decided that Dai-Gurren, as much as I love it, just would look generic on the headphones. Plus, if it's black and white, it wouldn't look the same. And that I'm not entirely limited to just having one set of custom plates; I can always purchase more with new designs on there.

I'm -very- happy with these M-80's. They've already hit a great amount of burn-in and like I said, everything is done well. There is no part of the spectrum of sound that is weak. I'd say it's direct competition are the HD25's with both being on-ear, but it's more than capable of providing comparable sound to full-size cans, while being a set that you can customize and take out with any commutes. I think the winning factor is that they're made to be driven easily, so there's no need to take an amp with you to enjoy the great sound. I honestly think you'd be very happy, like I've been, with your purchase of them.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #30 of 35

I asked the V-MODA support team and sadly, they said that only one design per pair of custom plates. 

Quote:

The logo I sent was originally 1200x1200 with inverted colors to make it black and white. The logo is indeed on both sides, but I'm sure if you sent two logos in, they'd be more than happy to put them both on. When they shipped it in, they include a small tool for the screws which was a lot tougher than expected. Make no mistake, having the custom plates really adds a LOT to the dynamic of having the M-80's. It really feels like it was personally crafted for you, being very durable and well built, while having phenomenal sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back