V-MODA Crossfade M-100 vs Sennheiser Momentum
May 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ekirei

New Head-Fier
I'm having some trouble deciding. Which of these 2 would you choose and why? - V-MODA Crossfade M-100 vs Sennheiser Momentum
http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/around-ear-headphone-momentum-stereo
Thanks

May 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 11
Two different headphones for two different crowds IMO. The M100 follow the basic sound of headphones such as Beats, Ultrasone, etc. with emphasized bass and sparkly treble. Basically the FR is V shaped with a recessed midrange. The thing that separates the M100 from the likes of Beats is the sound engineering and the design. The technical aspects of the M100 are far superior to that of Beats. The soundstage, imaging, tonal balance, resolution, etc are all much better overall making it a top recommendation for a basshead - or even someone that enjoys a "fun" sounding headphone for portable use. The Momentum on the other hand is tuned for your audiophile crowd. The headphone is generally warm sounding with some emphasis on bass, but it is much more linear and flat than the M100. If you enjoy mids the Momentum will be much better than the M100. The Momentum takes a different approach to the market such that it is basically audiophile sound quality in a portable solution. These headphone won't sound as "fun" than the M100, because the bass does not reach that low in comparison, and the treble is more toned down to sound non-fatiguing for long listening sessions. If you have heard or own the HD650, the Momentum has a lot in common. Overall I would say, it depends on what music genres you tend to listen to. Both are quite durable headphones, although the M100 is a step above the Momentum in that department. Both will give you higher quality of sound in terms of clarity than that of Beats, Apple Earpods, general consumer grade products. 

IMO: 

Choose the Momentum - If you listen to Jazz, Classic Rock, Rock, Metal, Acoustic, and then other modern genres like EDM, Pop, etc.

Choose the M100 - If you listen to EDM, Electronica, Drum & Bass, Pop, Hip-Hop, Rap, and then other genres.

Obviously both headphones will do the latter genres decently too, but the genres mentioned for each phone is what I would say they do great with and not just decent. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 11
I am actually deciding between the exact two headphones. As a college student who frequently takes my iphone on the go, these seem like the best options for good sound 

For me the momentum
Pros: Sound is what i am looking for, I like the black and red style 
Cons: may not necessarily be comfortable due to small size, large carrying case, no way of folding it, pricier

M-100
Pros: Folding, Love the look, dont mind sound signature but prefer momentum, headphones will fit ears for sure
Cons: dont know if i would like bloated bass, although i listen to mostly to trance, hiphop, r&b 

The only other headphones i have looked at is the Fidelio L1 which are semi open but i am sure they will be very different. 
Listened to the HD600 and actually really like the openness. 
My question is amazon allows for returns as long headphones look new and box looks new?
So essentially i can demo one of the headphones through amazon?

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 11
I am actually deciding between the exact two headphones. As a college student who frequently takes my iphone on the go, these seem like the best options for good sound 

For me the momentum
Pros: Sound is what i am looking for, I like the black and red style 
Cons: may not necessarily be comfortable due to small size, large carrying case, no way of folding it, pricier

M-100
Pros: Folding, Love the look, dont mind sound signature but prefer momentum, headphones will fit ears for sure
Cons: dont know if i would like bloated bass, although i listen to mostly to trance, hiphop, r&b 

The only other headphones i have looked at is the Fidelio L1 which are semi open but i am sure they will be very different. 

Listened to the HD600 and actually really like the openness. 
My question is amazon allows for returns as long headphones look new and box looks new?
So essentially i can demo one of the headphones through amazon?

You can demo the M100 at the Microsoft Store and the Momentum at most Best Buy stores. I went to try out the M100 yesterday, and I must say that the bar is set high for the Momentum.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 11
I have tried the Momentums and the V-Moda M100... After testing many different things on each, I found that the M100 came out on top and bought them. You can't beat the AMAZING sound quality on each (very similar) but the M100s won it for me due to many factors. They are customizable unlike the momentums beside the base color, they can fold up so much smaller, they can daisy chain other headphones (I have daisy chained four headphones with just the M100 cords and a splitter), they are less money (more bang for your buck), they are IMO better made than the moments, and have a tiny bit cleaner sound IMO. They both have great bass, crisp highs, and the momentums have more prominent mids compared directly to the M100s. I have to give the comfort to the sennheisers off the bat, but if you get the XL pads, it make the M100s sweep the board. I have never tried the PSB M4U 2 so I cannot say if they are good or bad, but definitely go for the M100s as you can try them for 60 days i believe- and if you don't like them, return them! They also come with a standard 2 year warranty (like the momentums) but have a life time warranty which if anything happens after the two years, you only pay half price for a new pair instead of the original cost. The M100s are the clear victors and are used by many DJ's everywhere and just plain look cooler. It is your choice but if you listen to Electronic, Rap, and similar genres, the M100s dominate. They (like the momentums) can also handle basically any genre and are both great headphones- Your choice!

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 11
I recently purchased both the m-100 and the momentum and returned the momentum. On the gift guide, Jude describes the momentum's mids as mildly thick. I would go a step further and say they can sound slow and muddy on certain tracks. I much prefer the more immediate and faster signature of the m-100. They are also much more comfortable and feel sturdier.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 11
I see the M-100's are the better HP for Rap/Hip-Hop ,but they would fall short on all other genre's. 

I see the Momentum's losing to the M-100's in Bass and versatility in Rap , but would go good with all music and would be the perfect portable jack of all trades headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back