V-MODA Crossfade M-100: Am I doing something wrong?
Feb 20, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #77 of 123
The M-100's aren't IEM's. they're cans.

That just shows how (un)knowledgeable some people here are.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you a pair of headphones need 1 year to burn in, completely stupid.

Once again, speakers seem to be your way to go. You can also ask a "normal" person to try the M100 and ask them how the bass is.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #79 of 123
IEM means In Ear Monitor, right? He's talking about the rubber tip seals on IEM's. M-100's are over the ear. Do I have something wrong or does he? I'm sorry, I might be wrong. And I agree on the whole burn in being fake thing. I don't think headphones really need to "burn in". At least no more than a week or two. And I can't get quality speakers on my budget, apparently. Also, I have asked people to try them. They all said the same thing. They expected more bass out of a pair of cans that are supposed to be "bassy".

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #80 of 123
Is there any way I can fix this seal problem? I actually noticed a massive bass quantity and quality increase if I press the cans against my head more firmly. But I can't stand there and hold them all day.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #81 of 123
IEM means In Ear Monitor, right? He's talking about the rubber tip seals on IEM's. M-100's are over the ear. Do I have something wrong or does he? I'm sorry, I might be wrong. And I agree on the whole burn in being fake thing. I don't think headphones really need to "burn in". At least no more than a week or two. And I can't get quality speakers on my budget, apparently. Also, I have asked people to try them. They all said the same thing. They expected more bass out of a pair of cans that are supposed to be "bassy".

Burn in is, as a rule of thumb, 24 hours of playing. Weeks? Nah. A day or two just to loosen up the parts. Anyone who claims more than that is going by just something they heard somewhere. I've dealt with home audio (some), car audio (a LOT), and mobile audio (also a lot) and burn-in definitely exists. It's not night and day, but the drivers do loosen up and achieve fuller potential once they've moved somewhat. Think of it like how when you sleep for a long time you're kinda sore and achey until you stretch out. Same deal.

By "seal" we're referring to the pad pressing against the side of your head. Closed-back headphones are intended to used with a seal wherein your ear is inside a "chamber" with no vibrations leaking outside, that's why if you have a closed-back headphone and pull it slightly away from your ear (enough that the pad loses contact with your head) suddenly the sound turns to CRAP.

What it sounds to me like is that there's a sound leak problem. I don't know if it means the pads have something wrong with them (which is an easy fix) or if the band is just too loose, but I'm willing to bet that's why you're having such problems and why they sound better when you press them against your head. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #82 of 123
I'm no expert, but I believe the band might just be too loose. I guess I have a really skinny head or something. People suggest I bend the band just slightly in more so it pushes harder against my head, therefore creating a better seal. I'm not sure about bending the band though. That doesn't sound like it can be undone.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #83 of 123
I'm no expert, but I believe the band might just be too loose. I guess I have a really skinny head or something. People suggest I bend the band just slightly in more so it pushes harder against my head, therefore creating a better seal. I'm not sure about bending the band though. That doesn't sound like it can be undone.

You do know how RMA works right? These things come with a year warranty (or 2, whatever). I hope your friend who broke 6 pairs of beats in a year know that too,

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #84 of 123
Hi, I've had the M-100's for about 2-3 weeks now. I had a similar experience as you actually.. NOT as good as some reviews hyped them up to be. I can't believe you thought these were junk though. They are good headphones. I think this issue is an "everyone's got their own taste" sorta thing. However, I was expecting more out of them, and tbh my Noontec Wireless headphones have been getting more time on my head. The noontecs are comparable to the m-80s but are more comfy :)

I'll describe the bass as accurate, clean and tight on the M-100s, not overwhelming but definitely forward. More forgiving on the ears i guess (a lot of bass makes my ears tired as hell lol). Compared to Beats I wouldn't think they'd satisfy real bassheads tbh because it's not as boomy and in your face. Comfort was more of an issue for me though. I listened to some EDM and when I turned it up there was a really nice vibration in the phones that felt so good, haha it's sick. I got the Fiio E11 and the bass boost does help, put the setting on 2 and when you put the volume up it shakes like crazy.. some cool **** lmao.

Brought them to the library for studying and after an hour I had to take them off.. that sold it for me that I'm probably going to sell these headphones, lol. Who said over-ears are more comfortable? lol. Too bad cause I really like the sound.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #85 of 123
  Hi, I've had the M-100's for about 2-3 weeks now. I had a similar experience as you actually.. NOT as good as some reviews hyped them up to be. I can't believe you thought these were junk though. They are good headphones. I think this issue is an "everyone's got their own taste" sorta thing. However, I was expecting more out of them, and tbh my Noontec Wireless headphones have been getting more time on my head. The noontecs are comparable to the m-80s but are more comfy :)

I'll describe the bass as accurate, clean and tight on the M-100s, not overwhelming but definitely forward. More forgiving on the ears i guess (a lot of bass makes my ears tired as hell lol). Compared to Beats I wouldn't think they'd satisfy real bassheads tbh because it's not as boomy and in your face. Comfort was more of an issue for me though. I listened to some EDM and when I turned it up there was a really nice vibration in the phones that felt so good, haha it's sick. I got the Fiio E11 and the bass boost does help, put the setting on 2 and when you put the volume up it shakes like crazy.. some cool **** lmao.

Brought them to the library for studying and after an hour I had to take them off.. that sold it for me that I'm probably going to sell these headphones, lol. Who said over-ears are more comfortable? lol. Too bad cause I really like the sound.

Did you try the XL pads that V-Moda sells? I purchased a pair, but they haven't come in the mail yet. They're supposed to solve the comfort issue for the M-100's and the LP/LP2.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #86 of 123
  Did you try the XL pads that V-Moda sells? I purchased a pair, but they haven't come in the mail yet. They're supposed to solve the comfort issue for the M-100's and the LP/LP2.

I have XL in the mail, but I have to be weird because I can wear the M100's with the stock pads for hours and hours no problem. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #87 of 123
I did! Supposedly the pads the seller had on them were the XL pads. Still I found them uncomfortable though, that's just me lol call me picky. Something about the shape that's odd for my ears I guess, same thing with the M-80s I tried.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #88 of 123

I have XL in the mail, but I have to be weird because I can wear the M100's with the stock pads for hours and hours no problem. 

Yeah, I've been wearing my LP2's for more than a year now, for usually a couple hours every day. It used to be painful at first, but now I feel I can wear them indefinitely. Either my ears have just learned to take a beating, or the pads have broken in or something, hahaha.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #89 of 123
  Yeah, I've been wearing my LP2's for more than a year now, for usually a couple hours every day. It used to be painful at first, but now I feel I can wear them indefinitely. Either my ears have just learned to take a beating, or the pads have broken in or something, hahaha.

I think maybe for me it's that I had the Beats Mixrs before these, so they're CRAZY comfortable in comparison, haha.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #90 of 123
You do know how RMA works right? These things come with a year warranty (or 2, whatever). I hope your friend who broke 6 pairs of beats in a year know that too,

Yeah, but the factory warranty didn't cover "accidental breakage", because they always just fell on the ground and broke or like they just stopped working, but beats would always claim that he did something wrong. He eventually started buying best buy's geak squad warranty, but still.

And yeah, I know I have the 60 days for a refund and the 2 year warranty, but I don't want to end up breaking them before I get a chance to try the new ZO2 amp I have coming next week some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back