V-MODA Crossfade M-100: Am I doing something wrong?
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #46 of 123
The problem I'm having is this:

Half of the people I've asked about this say that the ZO2 amp will fix all my problems. The other half say that it will do absolutely nothing and that I'm wasting my time and should just get beats. I'm done with beats. They break too easily. My earbuds aren't cutting it anymore and I want some quality cans with quantity bass output. If beats are the only company that does that, then I guess I'm screwed. I don't want to be spending $300 every few months to replace them. That's rediculous. They break so easily. I can hardly ever find anyone who has a working pair. It's absolutely obserd. I don't want beats. I know that. Let me see how this ZO2 does. If it still doesn't fix my problem? Then I guess I just need to buy a few more pairs of beats buds the next time they're on sale and consider my search for the perfect bass headphones over.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #47 of 123
I don't have M-100s, but my backup set LP2s I've had for 2+  years.

They took a while to burn. Apprx a yr+ in of everyday use, they just woke up and went CRAZY. Boomin.
Then paired it with a McKinley and its more than adequate for travelling.

They started feeling uncomfortable after my ears got used to my XB1ks. Before XB1ks they felt fine. I love my pair of Lp2s and thank the LAWD endlessly I didn't buy beats.

Yea BEATS, ya will be BEATS'n yourself for wastin money.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #49 of 123
Also, as a side note, the iPhone 5 (way to go, apple), doesn't have an EQ on it. It has preset EQ settings, but nothing manual. So on my computer where I can set my EQ to 3X bass boost, these sound pretty great! On my phone where the bass boost is only like 1.5X or less, the bass isn't any better, really.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #50 of 123
I think the problem is that people don't know you're listening to YouTube rips. Once you solve that problem, that's when you consider buying the ZO2.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #51 of 123
But I've heard some music that aren't YouTube rips. Yes, everything is more clear. But the bass isn't any better. It even sounds underpowered on pure-bass songs like Basshead by Bassnectar.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #52 of 123
But I've heard some music that aren't YouTube rips. Yes, everything is more clear. But the bass isn't any better. It even sounds underpowered on pure-bass songs like Basshead by Bassnectar.

Okay - I do not mean to sound crass or like an a-hole, but if I were you, with the preferences you have set forth, I would return the M100s and go with something like the aforementioned Sony XBxxx series. I listened to Bass Head (not a bad song, btw) on last.fm and Youtube (official, remix and bass boost versions) and found the bass MORE than sufficient on the M100s. Just for grins, I inserted the ZO2 and it was simply too much - and I like bass! It sounded like what I refer to as the "Urban Mating Call" - a Chevy POS (for example; it could be a Honda for all I care) with four 15"ers rattling itself to bits and the all the neighborhood windows for a five block radius.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #54 of 123
I was listening to a few bass heavy songs today on the M100 and they RUMBLE, I don't mean that euphemistically, I mean they really rumble, shake, seriously.   But it's clean bass, not muddy.   I dunno maybe it was a defective unit that happens sometimes, the two complaints I hear most is that the sound is too V shaped (*yawn*) and that it's 'too bassy' and not neutral.  I'm no headphone guru, I have only the Grado SR325i, M100, and Shure SE535s, each has their own great qualities, but for me no lack of bass at all on these....

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #55 of 123
I know they actually rumble. But I don't hear the actual bass. I've noticed that if I put pressure on the cans and push them slightly harder on my head, I can hear AND feel the bass! But I can't just sit there and hold them tightly against my head all day! Is there any way I can make them tighter on my head?

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #56 of 123
Bobby, man, times like this I wish all of us could come over my place, i'd crack a few bottles of wine open, we'd bring all our equipment and hash this out in person.  Here is where unfortunately words fail and again unfortunately unlike refrigerators where you can find a ton in any appliance store, stores that specialize in our hobby that have all the great brands are virtually non existent.   Except one street in London downtown, and Jaban (I think that's their name) in Singapore which is headphone lovers' heaven.  

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #58 of 123
Feb 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #60 of 123
What I don't get is why you can't hear the bass. I personally own the M100s and they're my go-to headphones when listening to EDM/dubstep. I don't find the bass to be lacking at all.

Go buy yourself some cheap $15 headphones and listen to them for a week. Switch back to the M100s then bam. Problem solved.

But seriously I suggest you stop listening to YouTube ripped mp3s and find yourself some high quality files (320kbps or FLAC). If you still want more bass after that, an amp with a bass boost feature like the Digizoid O2 amp or Fiio E11 might work. If you happen to own an iDevice, you should also pick up a cable like the Fiio L9 for the amp to prevent double amping.

May I ask what devices you use to listen to your music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back