V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50? Can't Decide help please!!
Aug 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

amipat01

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I know there is much debate between these headphones, but I just can't decide! I am looking for some experienced help in choosing my first pair of legit over ear headphones!

I am a BIG EDM fan. I like a lot of progressive house music, so base is very important! I also listen to rap and hip-hop. I want great base with clear vocals!

I'm also looking for semi-portability! I know the Crossfade LP2 comes with a 1.2 m cable and a rock solid case so that is perfect for portability, and the ATH-M50 comes with a coiled cable that goes form 4 feet to about 8 feet. Not as good as the Crossfade LP2 in terms of portability but still works! I'll be taking them to school for bus rides everyday. 

And of course sound is extremely important. After reading hundreds of reviews, I have seen a general trend. The ATH-M50 is much clearer and more balanced out. The Crossfade LP2 has great base, but I read that the vocals on the crossfade lp2 dont sound too well. However, Crossfade LP2 advertises noise cancelling, which I heard is only like 30% though from true noise cancelling but still seems better in that aspect. In terms of style and comfort, both are great. ATH-M50 weighs a little more though form what I've heard. About me, I'm a guy with a small head, hat size is 7 1/8. 

The Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition Matte Black is $184 
http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Limited-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HMBQR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344741495&sr=8-1&keywords=crossfade+lp2

And the Audio Technica ATH-M50 White (white looks really good w/ these) are $145.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-M50WH-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B007GC4L7S/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344741814&sr=1-4&keywords=ath-m50

Price shouldn't really be the deciding factor. Both seem like great headphones and I really can't decide. Please help me make my decision!!

Thanks for your time!

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi amipat01,

If these are the only two headphones you're interested in, I would recommend the Crossfade LP2 over the 50s for your genres of music. Bass is more prominent in the LP2s, and the slight emphasis on it won't hurt at all when listening to EDM and your other genres. In fact, you might enjoy it - it gives the music a "fun" kick and will make you want to get up and dance. 

If you're looking at these two headphones, hopefully you value bass more than vocals - you mentioned that you read reviews where people said vocals were weak on the LP2, but the 50s have fairly recessed mids as well. This is not to say vocals on the headphones are bad by any means, just know there are headphones out there that do vocals better.

On the issue of portability, the LP2 is much better than the 50s. 50s have pleathery ear pads that can get hot quickly in the heat and are fairly weighty on the head - the LP2 is significantly lighter and doesn't smother your ears quite as much in the heat.

I hope you enjoy your foray into headphones. ^^ It's a blast.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Hi amipat01,

If these are the only two headphones you're interested in, I would recommend the Crossfade LP2 over the 50s for your genres of music. Bass is more prominent in the LP2s, and the slight emphasis on it won't hurt at all when listening to EDM and your other genres. In fact, you might enjoy it - it gives the music a "fun" kick and will make you want to get up and dance. 

If you're looking at these two headphones, hopefully you value bass more than vocals - you mentioned that you read reviews where people said vocals were weak on the LP2, but the 50s have fairly recessed mids as well. This is not to say vocals on the headphones are bad by any means, just know there are headphones out there that do vocals better.

On the issue of portability, the LP2 is much better than the 50s. 50s have pleathery ear pads that can get hot quickly in the heat and are fairly weighty on the head - the LP2 is significantly lighter and doesn't smother your ears quite as much in the heat.

I hope you enjoy your foray into headphones. ^^ It's a blast.

You're reply made me think about my choice for another hour when I was convinced for the ath-m50! I was still scared of the inconsistent reviews the lp2 got and went for the athm50. Now that I've gotten them the sound is great, but I'm lacking that bass and kick you discussed. Additionally, they are huge on my head and are weighty, again like you said. I will be returning for LP2, or wait for the official m100!! Thanks again

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
You're reply made me think about my choice for another hour when I was convinced for the ath-m50! I was still scared of the inconsistent reviews the lp2 got and went for the athm50. Now that I've gotten them the sound is great, but I'm lacking that bass and kick you discussed. Additionally, they are huge on my head and are weighty, again like you said. I will be returning for LP2, or wait for the official m100!! Thanks again

If you can afford it then I would wait for the m100s

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 10
My friend has some crossfade lp2's and they're pretty nice. But don't let their looks deceive you. I had the same comparison a year from now and I ended up going with the AudioTechnica MK2. Wonderful bass and the treble is pretty good too! Very good for a budget set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back