V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 7, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,306 of 1,668
Archagon, initially I did hear a significant hiss on wireless. I then tried wired and was shocked to find the hiss still there and the sound was terrible. I changed cables and it went away. Then after 40 hours of burn in the wireless hiss stopped as well.

Not sure if that will help you but good ouck.
After more listening on wireless there is no comparison to the wired sound. In fact the wireless mode isn't that great compared to other wireless headphones.

Theroretically AAC up to 264kbps should sound as good or better on a wireless headphone as unamped wired if done properly so that’s disappointing to hear. Is that on the newest model?

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,307 of 1,668
Theroretically AAC up to 264kbps should sound as good or better on a wireless headphone as unamped wired if done properly so that’s disappointing to hear. Is that on the newest model?
I believe he has the originals. The originals were designed and tuned as a wired headphone. Wireless was a bonus/convenience for when needed. I personally never heard a hiss, but it's true that the originals sounded much better wired than wireless. The new Codex version to me is V-Moda's attempt to fix this and bring wireless closer to their wired sound. The inclusion of AAC alone should help this because the originals didn't sound bad wireless. I'll bet that the main difference in the Codex version other than the support of AAC and AptX with all colors, will be a much improved wireless tuning/sound.

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,308 of 1,668
I believe he has the originals. The originals were designed and tuned as a wired headphone. Wireless was a bonus/convenience for when needed. I personally never heard a hiss, but it's true that the originals sounded much better wired than wireless. The new Codex version to me is V-Moda's attempt to fix this and bring wireless closer to their wired sound. The inclusion of AAC alone should help this because the originals didn't sound bad wireless. I'll bet that the main difference in the Codex version other than the support of AAC and AptX with all colors, will be a much improved wireless tuning/sound.

In that case then a year later they should have came out with an entirely new Crossfade Wireless III instead of the headphone that should have shipped last year. Not to discredit what they’ve done since they deserve a lot of credit for listening to feedback and releasing a new model that adds AAC and aptX to all colors.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,309 of 1,668
I have the rose gold CFW 2. I think even with APTX the very old version of Bluetooth lets them down.

I found it very strange they sounded so bad cabled but changing to a different cable fixed that. Must have gotten a bad one from vmoda.
Speaking of cables, the CFW2 has a very small recessed cable opening. I had to file down the plug of another cable to get it to fit, bummer.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #1,310 of 1,668
I have the rose gold CFW 2. I think even with APTX the very old version of Bluetooth lets them down.

I found it very strange they sounded so bad cabled but changing to a different cable fixed that. Must have gotten a bad one from vmoda.
Speaking of cables, the CFW2 has a very small recessed cable opening. I had to file down the plug of another cable to get it to fit, bummer.

Should just replace the cable. Honestly I do hear a lot of issues about defects with V-MODA’s wireless products which may or may not be indicative of a larger issue. Though to be fair I’ve had my Beats Solo3 replaced once and it’s looking like I’ll have to get my AirPods replaced as well, so wireless products are all-around not the most reliable.

It would take some convincing to get me to buy CF2W as a gym headphone at this point but I’m considering it. I know it’s wired-first so I hope it isn’t letdown by shoddy wireless performance.

Edit: My standard is that 256kbps AAC has to sound as good or better via a wireless connection as it’s technically the same file/bit-rate as well as the manufacturer’s own amp/DAC, in this case a mini VAMP so it should live up to that test. I feel every Bluetooth headphone I’ve tried with AAC support (Beats Studio3/Solo3/X, AirPods, 1000XM2, QC35II) accomplishes this.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #1,311 of 1,668
So,i bought the v-moda crossfade wireless 2 last monday,the original one in black.And now there is an codex version? Arghhh.Ok,im going to use it mostly in wired mode.But somethimes in bluetooth mode to with the samsung s9 plus.Why didnt they implant the best bluetooth version available the first time.Seems like rip off to me :frowning2:

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,312 of 1,668
So,i bought the v-moda crossfade wireless 2 last monday,the original one in black.And now there is an codex version? Arghhh.Ok,im going to use it mostly in wired mode.But somethimes in bluetooth mode to with the samsung s9 plus.Why didnt they implant the best bluetooth version available the first time.Seems like rip off to me :frowning2:
If you bought your Crossfade 2 last Monday you should still be in the return window. Assuming you payed the discounted price of $249, you'd have to be willing to pony up an extra $100. As far as the rip off goes, not making excuses for Val and V-Moda/Roland, but I haven't ran into too many retail corporations that don't or haven't done some very questionable things when it comes to product releases. Everyone from Apple to Sennheiser. The way I look at it, they listened to feedback and got it right a year later. On top of that, they're allowing current Original Crossfade 2 owners to trade in their headphone and only pay a $100 upgrade charge to get the new Codex version. Basically they're giving them the full value that the original Crossfade 2 is currently going for ($250). You can't sell them for that much right now. That's better than most other companies would do.

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,313 of 1,668
If you bought your Crossfade 2 last Monday you should still be in the return window. Assuming you payed the discounted price of $249, you'd have to be willing to pony up an extra $100. As far as the rip off goes, not making excuses for Val and V-Moda/Roland, but I haven't ran into too many retail corporations that don't or haven't done some very questionable things when it comes to product releases. Everyone from Apple to Sennheiser. The way I look at it, they listened to feedback and got it right a year later. On top of that, they're allowing current Original Crossfade 2 owners to trade in their headphone and only pay a $100 upgrade charge to get the new Codex version. Basically they're giving them the full value that the original Crossfade 2 is currently going for ($250). You can't sell them for that much right now. That's better than most other companies would do.

I paid full price here in norway :frowning2: Think i just going to stick with them.The sound in wired mode with dragonfly black is fantastic.Maybe wait for an crossfade 3 or audeze mobius instead.I also have the px wich have aptx-hd.But it sounds boring.The v.modas are really fun to listen to. :)

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #1,314 of 1,668
Anyone else think the Crossfade Wireless 2's lack a bit of treble above 10khz? I think the M100 was a bit peaky up on top, but more sparkly?

I think what there is of treble on the W2's is of good quality, but a bit low in level, especially compared to the Beyers and MSR7

But then again it's a DJ can.

I was watching a TV show with a scene in a park, and they sound kida thick and congested, switching to another headphone, you could hear the birds, the wind, nature sounds much more clearly in the background of the conversation of the characters...

Could be my slightly broken ears though. But I EQ them 2db at 8khz and throughout to 20khz +4db or so. Again the resolution of the notes seem fine, but a little low in level.

Something is wrong with vocals though, they lack space and feel strained.

All in all maybe a touch better than the old M100, but really only a small amount.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,315 of 1,668
Anyone else think the Crossfade Wireless 2's lack a bit of treble above 10khz? I think the M100 was a bit peaky up on top, but more sparkly?

I think what there is of treble on the W2's is of good quality, but a bit low in level, especially compared to the Beyers and MSR7

But then again it's a DJ can.

I was watching a TV show with a scene in a park, and they sound kida thick and congested, switching to another headphone, you could hear the birds, the wind, nature sounds much more clearly in the background of the conversation of the characters...

Could be my slightly broken ears though. But I EQ them 2db at 8khz and throughout to 20khz +4db or so. Again the resolution of the notes seem fine, but a little low in level.

All in all maybe a touch better than the old M100, but really only a small amount.

Rtings measured the same, which I don’t find to be an issue in a bass-boosted headphone as long as the treble is articulate. It lets you listen louder without fatigue. The FR on the CF2W looks like it’s enjoyable, will try a demo at BB if it’s available.

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #1,316 of 1,668

I find this as well, something about the mids.
I have found this with some other headphones and it has resolved after a long burn in, like 300 hours.
I still enjoy them quite a lot though, just a different experience from monitor headphones like Sen HD25 II.

It would take some convincing to get me to buy CF2W as a gym headphone at this point but I’m considering it. I know it’s wired-first so I hope it isn’t letdown by shoddy wireless performance..

Honestly these sound better wireless than the CFW2:
https://www.amazon.com/66-AUDIO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B01M8M4R7K

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #1,317 of 1,668
I find this as well, something about the mids.
I have found this with some other headphones and it has resolved after a long burn in, like 300 hours.
I still enjoy them quite a lot though, just a different experience from monitor headphones like Sen HD25 II.

Honestly these sound better wireless than the CFW2:
https://www.amazon.com/66-AUDIO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B01M8M4R7K

In that case I’ll probably stick with Beats Solo3 or AirPods for now, which are good enough for the gym. V-MODA does have its perks like the Immortal Life program though so I’ll keep an eye out for CF2W.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #1,319 of 1,668
Ordered the XL pads last sunday.I think the crossfades 2 sounds really good,but i hope the XL pads will improve the soundstage,volume ( a little low on my pioneer xdp 100r.Could be the player ),maybe little more bass and instruments seperation.Cant wait to try them :)

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #1,320 of 1,668
So I've owned the m100's for many many years now, and just sent them in last week to upgrade using the immortal life program. I wanted to get the crossfade wireless 2, but am skeptical now because of the codex edition. The CW2 will run me back $125 while the codex edition is $225.

In real world testing, will I notice a different worth $100 to get the codex edition. I listen to all my music on mac and iphone, primarily soundcloud and spotify. Use the headphones for gaming too and plan to use it mainly wired. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back