V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
May 19, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #1,261 of 1,668
For those wondering if they should grab the XL pads for these. I suggest you don’t unless the comfort for you is very bad on the stock pads.

Here is my analysis below for you to determine for yourself. please keep in mind two things:
1. I am testing the sound via WIRED connected to a Schiit audio Lyr 2 with Lysst solid state tubes fed from a mojo
2. I listen wiith THiS earpad placement on my head. VERY important: there are two positions that I can wear these pads in, either fully on the ridges of my ear, as in, the back of the face of the pads lines up with the back curve of my ear and sits on top of my ears fully, or I can slide them back to havethe backs of my ears sit inside the pad and the front of the pad rests on the little bump at the front of my ear. The first position has much better imaging and depth. The second has better soundstage and everything in the stage moves VERY forward. If things were happening a few inches in front of your face, they now sit on the surface of your eyes. With the XL pads my ears fit completely inside the pads like an over ear, which I love because it is SO much more comfortable. For the stock pads, I prefer them the first position, even though its much less comfortable, it sounds better.)

The XL pads:

With the XL pads on, mids lose body, female vocals sound shrill. Midrange sounds “canned”, like youre listening to it through a cup. Sub bass becomes subdued and loses it’s rumble. mid bass still prominent but gets more punchy and becomes much closer to linear(still north of neutral about 2DB. I am actually happy with the amount of bass there is, although the qualities of the bass im not a fan of here.. headphones lose dynamics and gains lots more air, better treble detail, vocals become more raspy, but the overall tone sounds.. hollow. There is better soundstage. For a midrange lover, you will not like this change. For the treble heads, the XL pads add some glare here, and the qualities of the highs hint at the possibility of sibilance. The XL pads have horrible isolation now. I hear like everything happening in the gym now.

The Stock Pads:
Putting the pads back on, immediately the vocals have a much better timbre, they become more natural and lifelike, but now the lower midrange/upper bass is very forward. Bass emphasis is now +3 or 4 db. Sub-bass is great now, although midbass suffers. Vocals sound beautiful. they’ve lost that gross raspy feel and sound like a real person and the emotion of the vocals come back, but at the cost of air. , the bass has lost much of its linearity. It now has its rumble back, and the punch seems to be softer, but it is much weightier of a punch. It kind of feels like the bass lost a bit of texture. Imaging is much better with the stock pads . Depth is much better. Staging feels much better defined. Placement and separation is more accurate. Treble has become very rolled off with the stock pads. It is a weird difference, the XL pads brought the treble out too much, and the stock pads obscure the treble too much. Here is to hoping Val is putting effort into R&D for an XL version of these new pads.

Final thing I wanted to mention. The difference between wired and wireless is HUGE. I was pretty disappointed by how the crossfade 2 wireless sounded with Bluetooth, even though im using APTx with the rose gold version, but the wired mode makes up for it. Its like I was listening to a whole different headphone. Lets be clear again. They need some power. Straight out of my phone or out of my XDP100R it sounds better wired than Bluetooth, but it really comes into its own and even SHINES when amped. I don’t want to get too into it because this Is pretty long already, but almost everything about the sound improves. The wired performace was really a surprise to me since I did not know ahead of time that they tuned this headphone with wired mode first, wireless second. Kind of a bummer because I only bought these because of the wireless capabilities and because they are the only headphone out of my pile of headphones that I can actually wear in public and not feel like a goof.

I hope this helps. I was looking for a post just like this but couldn’t find it on this thread so I got some XL pads to try it out myself. Because I needed answers. LOL

May 21, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #1,262 of 1,668
I’m incredibly indecisive, and after reading every page of this thread I still cannot decide between buying the CFW2 or the M100.

I’m looking for something fun that I might also be able to take to the gym occasionally. Wireless is nice but not of utmost importance. I listen to EDM, R&B, and rap 99% of the time, so I love bass.

Based on this, which would better suit me?

I think wireless is the way to go for exercising.
I just hope they make a wireless with M100 sound signature. I am a basshead

May 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,264 of 1,668
I think wireless is the way to go for exercising.
I just hope they make a wireless with M100 sound signature. I am a basshead
Okay there are a lot of posts here saying that the cfw2 has less bass, but it is NOT neutral. the CFW2 is still a basshead can, its much more a basshead can than a neutral one, and i have a lot of headphones to compare to to make sure. lets just say theres more bass here than the Fostex thx00, but less bass than the Sony XB950BT (definitely basscannons, but the sound quality is just okay)

May 22, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #1,265 of 1,668
Just checking in if it is still the fact that only the Rose Gold variant have APTX?

Looking to replace my HD25 II's, even commuting I'll mostly be using a cable but having APTX would be a nice option.

May 22, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,266 of 1,668
yes the rose gold one has APTx. but be prepared that the wireless internal amp cannot drive the headphones to its fullest potential like it can with a proper amp, so in my use i found that aptx makes little difference. vs standard bluetooth. The latency is much better though. IMO even if the signal is much clearer, the internal amp not being able to drive the headphones is a larger loss compared to the APTx gain.

May 22, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #1,267 of 1,668
For anyone in the UK still interested in copping a pair of these cans; they are currently £170 on Amazon for the rose gold which is an absolute steal! -------> https://goo.gl/gQbGdY
They are on back order though so you may have to wait a few weeks. It kinda tells me that some kind of update may be in the pipeline and they may be shifting stock.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,268 of 1,668
For anyone in the UK still interested in copping a pair of these cans; they are currently £170 on Amazon for the rose gold which is an absolute steal! -------> https://goo.gl/gQbGdY
They are on back order though so you may have to wait a few weeks. It kinda tells me that some kind of update may be in the pipeline and they may be shifting stock.

Hope this helps.
Holy molyyy I bought mine at £330 or something! Enjoying it every minute, wirelessly most of the time. Haven’t tried it with an amp tho!

May 22, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,270 of 1,668
Aww man, that has to be the worst decision. I hate bling but really want to try these headphones!
A few people in this thread mentioned they didnt hear a difference with/without aptx. And im in agreement. The fidelity loss while using the wireless mode's amp outweighs the resolution gains of aptx, which means the entirely matte black one is back on the table and yours for the taking at 20 dollars less (;

Edit:
They sound the same from these bluetooth sources:
Eve V Tablet(no aptx)
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (yes aptx)
Asus G751 Laptop (no aptx)
Pioneer XDP 100R (yes aptx)
LG budget phone I got for $10 on sale that i use as an alarm (no aptx)

Remember aptx only kicks in if BOTH devices have aptx.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #1,271 of 1,668
A few people in this thread mentioned they didnt hear a difference with/without aptx.

I bought the Rose Gold ones from Amazon. All models are $249 on Amazon, hope I don't hate the colour too much. Might buy a set of the black screws to tone them down a little.
I will mostly be using my phone, an LG V20. It has a great internal DAC and APTX so covered either way really.
Everything I hear about the sound signature leads me to believe I'll love them :)

May 24, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #1,272 of 1,668
When i saw great deal on amazon.co.uk (170 pounds), i decided to buy and check these headphones (rose gold). And sorry lads, but damn, what a big disappointment to me it was. At the moment i'm using 2 pairs of the headphones (Beoplay H7 and Sony MDR1000X) and if MDR1000X sounds similar (1000X just not so bass heavy + Sony have amazing ANC), so H7 to my ears sounds miles better than Crossfade 2.
I'm not saying that Crossfade 2 sounds so bad, they sound OK, but soundstage, details and clarity (if you compare it to H7) is really really lacking (my phone is Pixel XL2). To me they not even worth 170 pounds, i'm not even talking about insane £330.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,274 of 1,668
Jun 6, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,275 of 1,668
Now we're talking, $150 off the C2W I guess for the upgrade.

Still zero feedback from Val on those forums, not a single sorry for the screwup or for being unclear/advertising falsely. Wonder if that is something Roland forcing him to do.

V-MODA has always listened to customer feedback and a lot of people complained about the lack of AAC. While I’m happy to see it was added it is a $100 upgrade over the standard CF2W which is on-sale for $249, and the only new feature of the Codex Edition seems to be the (much-welcomed) AAC support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back