V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Oct 11, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,156 of 1,668
That’s a good deal for sure. Glad you’re enjoying them, that’s all that counts!
Yeah. Even for portable use I'm more of a fan of over ear due to the larger soundstage. Not a fan of feeling that the vocals are coming from the middle of my forehead. I will admit that good IEMs can definitely have superior detail and even better deeper sounding low end, even though you will FWEL it more with headphones. I have the Monoprice Monolith M300 planar magnetic inner ear speakers on the way, to see how they perform. Wasn't going to pay $400 for the iSine when I rarely use in ears. I use them about 15% of the time

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #1,157 of 1,668
Lol. I do feel for you Wireless first guys. The Bluetooth on the CF2W is acceptable, but for those whose primary goal was to have a wireless pair of cans, V-Moda didn't exactly serve you all that well, so I understand where people are coming from to that extent. Thankfully I'm in the, "I want the sound from my own DAC/Amp" group. I'm all about that dedicated aftermarket dongle life (HiFi DAC).

I’m using Apple Music 90% of the time so all I need is AAC support and a quality internal amp/DAC and I’m happy. I only use a wire for lossless as there is no noticeable degradation listening to AAC over Bluetooth. :)

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #1,158 of 1,668
I’m using Apple Music 90% of the time so all I need is AAC support and a quality internal amp/DAC and I’m happy. I only use a wire for lossless as there is no noticeable degradation listening to AAC over Bluetooth. :)
I understand the no noticeable loss of degradation with AAC, but different amps have different signatures, that are sometimes noticeable. I prefer the clarity and soundstage of my dragonfly red to JDS Labs C5 combo to a Bluetooth DAC/amp

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #1,159 of 1,668
I understand the no noticeable loss of degradation with AAC, but different amps have different signatures, that are sometimes noticeable. I prefer the clarity and soundstage of my dragonfly red to JDS Labs C5 combo to a Bluetooth DAC/amp

What I love about wireless headphones is that manufacturers can put their own amp and DAC into the headphones! The best wireless headphones I’ve heard sound better in wireless mode vs with just a 3.5mm assuming codecs are up to par.

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #1,160 of 1,668
What I love about wireless headphones is that manufacturers can put their own amp and DAC into the headphones! The best wireless headphones I’ve heard sound better in wireless mode vs with just a 3.5mm assuming codecs are up to par.
Bluetooth headphones DAC/AMp are better than Dac in all phones aside from the LG V series and Vivo X series. I live that external DAC life , so I'm not in that category, but for a vast majority of people, Bluetooth headphones to provide a better overall sound, so I'm with you there

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #1,161 of 1,668
Yeah. Even for portable use I'm more of a fan of over ear due to the larger soundstage. Not a fan of feeling that the vocals are coming from the middle of my forehead. I will admit that good IEMs can definitely have superior detail and even better deeper sounding low end, even though you will FWEL it more with headphones. I have the Monoprice Monolith M300 planar magnetic inner ear speakers on the way, to see how they perform. Wasn't going to pay $400 for the iSine when I rarely use in ears. I use them about 15% of the time
I’m also not a big IEM fan, even though they can deliver bigger sound. I find them flimsy and finnicky and so only use them when traveling (a good IEM seals better than any noise cancelling headphone on a plane). If you like you bass, try the Rock Zircon IEMs. You can get them for $15 or less on Amazon and I challenge you to find IEMs (or full size headphones for that matter) for less than $300 that can match the sound. Crazy right? Try them and hear for yourself.

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,162 of 1,668
Regardless a lot of retailers are low on Crossfade 2 stock. If they are releasing CFW3 this holiday season then hopefully they announce it soon :).

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #1,163 of 1,668
Regardless a lot of retailers are low on Crossfade 2 stock. If they are releasing CFW3 this holiday season then hopefully they announce it soon :).

V-MODA does not seem to take part in RMAF, Val Kolton is nowhere to be seen both in terms of audio shows and internet presence.

Wishing for CFW3 this season is overly optimistic already, but seeing as V-MODA is not trying to get any attention at all lately I'm not sure if we will see much new products any time soon, if at all.

If Val appears from nowhere, gives his apologies for the codec screwup for CFW1 and pushes a new product, I would consider it for sure. Seems unlikely so far.

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,164 of 1,668
Even tho I got my CFW2 for cheap pre owned.
I’d still be pretty pissed if they release a new verion haha!
In realistic terms though what can they possibly upgrade? They sure as crap ain’t gonna be licensing the W1 from Apple.
Maybe just an upgrade to Bluetooth 5.0? I don’t think it would be significant enough for me to part with my cash.
I wasn’t all that disappointed with the sound on the current ones wirelessly streaming Apple Music to be quite honest.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #1,169 of 1,668
Hi
I own both the vmoda xs and m100. I listen to classic rock primarily. I prefer the sound of the XS to the M 100. Can some people compare the sound of the v moda crossfade 2 to the XS and/or the M 100.

Thanks
Mike

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #1,170 of 1,668
Hi
I own both the vmoda xs and m100. I listen to classic rock primarily. I prefer the sound of the XS to the M 100. Can some people compare the sound of the v moda crossfade 2 to the XS and/or the M 100.

Thanks
Mike
That's easy, as I've owned all the upper rqnge models as listed in my signature. Take the better refinement, and more forward mid-range of the XS, and add a more detailed treble. Decrease the M100 bass a bit, but make it tighter and faster. The ONLY thing the M100 wins on is bass boom. The CF2W doesn't hit quite as hard, but the bass is definitely more refined. Still has a more fun bass signature than Sennheiser Momentum headphones. Mids remind me of a better more refined XS. Treble is detailed enough to play operatic or classical music and hear all the nice details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back