V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Sep 25, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,126 of 1,668
Sep 25, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,128 of 1,668
This sort of news is only making my decision that much more difficult.
Ha ha! Me too! There are so many factors to consider, and one of them, for me, is build quality. I checked out the Solo 3s the other day and they felt really cheap and fragile compared to my V-Modas. If the Studio 3s don't sound any better wireless I'm going with the Crossfade 2.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,129 of 1,668
Ha ha! Me too! There are so many factors to consider, and one of them, for me, is build quality. I checked out the Solo 3s the other day and they felt really cheap and fragile compared to my V-Modas. If the Studio 3s don't sound any better wireless I'm going with the Crossfade 2.
I'm leaning that way too but I'll wait for more Studio 3 reviews...and maybe some hands-on reviews from some forum members.

Sep 25, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,130 of 1,668
I just realized this; I can’t believe how changing to “Beats Studio3 Wireless” from “Beats Studio 3 Wireless” while Googleing brings up so much more relevant reviews!

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #1,131 of 1,668
Don't want them, but interested in seeing Studio3 reviews. Found one on Fortune website. It Descriptions like these that make me COMPLETELY disregard your entire review. Ex 1. I can say they’re the best-sounding headphones I’ve ever tested Ex 2. The Studio3 Wireless Headphones’ audio quality is downright impressive. And I can’t tell you how many times I felt chills down my spine as a heavy bass reverberated, or when I heard nuances to songs I couldn’t hear when I played them over my iPhone’s speakers. Really, you're comparing the sound from the headphones to the phone's speaker?

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #1,134 of 1,668
I have taken delivery of my rose gold ones a couple of days ago now.
Comparing them to the previous version and the M100 it’s night and day, he bass is still present but it’s nice and tight; he real game changer and why I got rid of the previous models is the midrange. Vocals really pop now and they are suitable for general use such as watching my Samsung smart TV via Bluetooth.
I have no regrets about buying them, although they was pre owned and significantly cheaper.

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,136 of 1,668
Had my pair of CF2 RG for a few weeks now, traded in my old M-100s where one earcup went dead after 2 years. Doesn't have the low end wobble feeling of the M-100s (which I always thought was really neat), but the bass response is at least cleaned up. Mids aren't as veiled anymore, more upfront, but not in your face, highs are a little more present too. It sort of feels like as if there was a mild eq point (say +4dB, totally ballparking this) on the M-100s around the the 125Hz mark with a Q slightly below 1, and the CF2's shifted that to maybe around the 400Hz mark instead. It still feels similar to the M-100s, just more refined.

I honestly like these guys a bit more in wireless mode. They sound a bit wider than driving them directly from my Dragonfly; I don't know if I would necessarily classify them as "hi-fi", but they're not bad by any means. I can't recall a situation where I had a track playing and I wanted to turn the volume up to hear one element more. It's also nice not having to lug around a DAC for half-decent sound, just something that supports Bluetooth 4. AptX low-latency mode is also nice for using it on the computer; my Nexus 5X doesn't have AptX, but it's sufficient for regular listening and audio quality doesn't take much of a hit.

The one thing that bothers me about the CF2's, having used the M-100s for hobby DJ'ing, is that they removed support for the locking lug on the V-Moda coilPro cable. Was nice being able to insure against the cable pulling out.

Overall, great general purpose headphone with great sound. Works well for casual listening, a bit of intensive listening in some cases, DJ'ing, workouts, overall a great jack of all trades headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #1,137 of 1,668
This thread went downhill quickly, but I hope V-MDOA doesn’t think head-fi has turned on them — Crossfade Wireless 2 is a great wired headphone, but frankly an outdated wireless offering. Bluetooth 3.0, ~ 14 hours of battery, limited codec support, etc. Its purpose wasn’t to be a cutting-edge wireless headphone but it missed the mark for me even if wireless was a bonus.

I think I speak for just about all of us in this thread when I say we still love the V-MODA sound, design, and durability. M-100 was one of my most proud purchases since I felt like I made the right decision when I bought it after months of contemplation.

Curious to see if V-MODA has any new products for the holidays. Certainly don’t want to put pressure on the brand to prematurely launch a new product if there are no plans but I would certainly test a Crossfade Wireless 3 against the Beats Studio3 and other new headphones.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #1,138 of 1,668
Had my pair of CF2 RG for a few weeks now, traded in my old M-100s where one earcup went dead after 2 years. Doesn't have the low end wobble feeling of the M-100s (which I always thought was really neat), but the bass response is at least cleaned up. Mids aren't as veiled anymore, more upfront, but not in your face, highs are a little more present too. It sort of feels like as if there was a mild eq point (say +4dB, totally ballparking this) on the M-100s around the the 125Hz mark with a Q slightly below 1, and the CF2's shifted that to maybe around the 400Hz mark instead. It still feels similar to the M-100s, just more refined.

I honestly like these guys a bit more in wireless mode. They sound a bit wider than driving them directly from my Dragonfly; I don't know if I would necessarily classify them as "hi-fi", but they're not bad by any means. I can't recall a situation where I had a track playing and I wanted to turn the volume up to hear one element more. It's also nice not having to lug around a DAC for half-decent sound, just something that supports Bluetooth 4. AptX low-latency mode is also nice for using it on the computer; my Nexus 5X doesn't have AptX, but it's sufficient for regular listening and audio quality doesn't take much of a hit.

The one thing that bothers me about the CF2's, having used the M-100s for hobby DJ'ing, is that they removed support for the locking lug on the V-Moda coilPro cable. Was nice being able to insure against the cable pulling out.

Overall, great general purpose headphone with great sound. Works well for casual listening, a bit of intensive listening in some cases, DJ'ing, workouts, overall a great jack of all trades headphone.
Dragonfly Red isn't a wide presentation sounding DAC. Very detailed, but not so much musical. I have my red paired to a JDS Labs C5. Lose a bit of the upper detail, but added warmth, soundstage width, and overall better musicality. Once I stopped missing the extra treble detail and sat and listened to the whole musical picture, I absolutely prefer this combination over the DFR by itself

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #1,139 of 1,668
I noticed Best Buy pulled in-store stock of CF2W. New generation coming? :)

(Could also be because they didn’t sell at the retail level, I didn’t see them move the one they had at my local store.)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #1,140 of 1,668
I noticed Best Buy pulled in-store stock of CF2W. New generation coming? :)

(Could also be because they didn’t sell at the retail level, I didn’t see them move the one they had at my local store.)
Best Buy doesn't stock V-moda. They're partner Magnolia does though. It is available in Magnolia audio locations through Best Buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back