V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Sep 11, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #1,081 of 1,668
Did not like the Solo3 when I had them, just too soft and midbass-heavy.
Nevertheless I preordered the Studio 3. Point of interest to me is the W1 chip, which I'm sure will not show up in any other products. And hopefully the Studio 3 will offer a bit more interesting tuning than the Solo3. ANC seems optional now, which is a good thing.
And yes, I'm very interested in how they compare to the CF2... but I think a major reason why wireless performance in my setup is not so good is the AK380. Bluetooth reception seems not to be its strongest point, and it got worse switching from the aluminium to stainless steel. Still I don't want to go back to using my iPhone as a source, the Music application is just pathetic nowadays.

I'd much preferred if Apple had bought V-Moda instead of Beats, but I'm sure they did not do it for the headphones...

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #1,082 of 1,668
I'd much preferred if Apple had bought V-Moda instead of Beats, but I'm sure they did not do it for the headphones...

Nope, Apple bought Beats because they were the #1-selling headphones and they had the opportunity to make them genuinely good. The Beats brand was just a vehicle for Apple to get into the headphone space in a big way.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #1,083 of 1,668
Nope, Apple bought Beats because they were the #1-selling headphones and they had the opportunity to make them genuinely good. The Beats brand was just a vehicle for Apple to get into the headphone space in a big way.

While I obviously have no insight on Apple strategic decisions, what I see is they wanted primarily the people behind Beats (in connection with Apple Music) and maybe a leg into the black community, taking the headphone business as a bonus. Otherwise it would not have taken them months to offer a Studio 3 with the W1 chip (which obviously is important to them). Plus, had Beats so much importance to them, wouldn't they have replaced the earbuds with something Beats-branded to promote their new business? To me its seems more like they are dragging the headphones along, fortunately not leaving them behind.

I'd be more than happy for you being right and Apple doing something big with their acquisition. Not because Beats as a brand appeals to me (I don't hate it either though), but because it would be fascinating to see what might rise out of their expertise with developing and especially manufacturing digital toys. So far I don't see much Apple-like advancement in the Beats lineup -- with one big exception: W1.

Before that goes too much OT: Why people are considering (and ordering) the Studio 3 might be interesting to V-Moda. I think both go for similar audiences (yes, definitely not identical though), and arguments beside the fashion aspect are becoming increasingly interesting. Thats why I preordered them... how well can a wireless connection be implemented? What about comfort? I don't expect much in sound quality, but my hope still is, it will be good enough.

Unfortunately V-Moda does not have the resources to compete with something like the W1 chip. To me this thing is quite big (you might guess by how often I referenced it :wink: -- so what options does that leave open for V-Moda? I think that is reflected in the positioning of the CF2 as a wired headphone (i.e. sound first) with a wireless option. Priorities re where right they *can* compete I guess...

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #1,084 of 1,668
While I obviously have no insight on Apple strategic decisions, what I see is they wanted primarily the people behind Beats (in connection with Apple Music) and maybe a leg into the black community, taking the headphone business as a bonus. Otherwise it would not have taken them months to offer a Studio 3 with the W1 chip (which obviously is important to them). Plus, had Beats so much importance to them, wouldn't they have replaced the earbuds with something Beats-branded to promote their new business? To me its seems more like they are dragging the headphones along, fortunately not leaving them behind.

I'd be more than happy for you being right and Apple doing something big with their acquisition. Not because Beats as a brand appeals to me (I don't hate it either though), but because it would be fascinating to see what might rise out of their expertise with developing and especially manufacturing digital toys. So far I don't see much Apple-like advancement in the Beats lineup -- with one big exception: W1.

Before that goes too much OT: Why people are considering (and ordering) the Studio 3 might be interesting to V-Moda. I think both go for similar audiences (yes, definitely not identical though), and arguments beside the fashion aspect are becoming increasingly interesting. Thats why I preordered them... how well can a wireless connection be implemented? What about comfort? I don't expect much in sound quality, but my hope still is, it will be good enough.

Unfortunately V-Moda does not have the resources to compete with something like the W1 chip. To me this thing is quite big (you might guess by how often I referenced it :wink: -- so what options does that leave open for V-Moda? I think that is reflected in the positioning of the CF2 as a wired headphone (i.e. sound first) with a wireless option. Priorities re where right they *can* compete I guess...

It's smart of them to include Apple-branded earbuds with their products as it convinces people to go out and buy better headphones, especially since the EarPods are bass anemic. They don't need gimmicks like including cheap Beats earbuds to sell iPhones. (Looking at Samsung including cheap AKG headphones that received terrible reviews.)

I genuinely think Studio3 is going to surprise with sound that dethrones quite a few closed back over ear headphones. We will see though.

Frankly Apple could (and should) buy Audeze and dominate the entire headphone market, consumer and audiophile.

Edit: Also, W1 is that something big. It's created the first wireless headphones that have zero compromises compared to wired, especially when used with Apple Music.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #1,085 of 1,668
It's smart of them to include Apple-branded earbuds with their products as it convinces people to go out and buy better headphones, especially since the EarPods are bass anemic. They don't need gimmicks like including cheap Beats earbuds to sell iPhones. (Looking at Samsung including AKG headphones that received terrible reviews.)

I genuinely think Studio3 is going to surprise with sound that dethrones quite a few closed back over ear headphones. We will see though.

Frankly Apple could (and should) buy Audeze and dominate the entire headphone market, consumer and audiophile.

Regarding quality you are correct, earbuds are earbuds :wink: Calling them Beats-something would just make the brand more central, letting it seem more important to Apple, thats what I meant.

As for sound quality of the Studio 3, we'll see. I didn't read anything new in the product copy, i.e. how they improved sound. But it would be a nice and welcome surprise. Actually a nightmare to all midrange headphones: Beats that sound good (not only OK, but good)...

Yes, technologically Audeze would be an interesting match...

Unfortunately all these scenarios leave not too much room vor V-Moda, at least not in the midrange consumer space. Getting Roland behind them was not a bad idea I think.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #1,086 of 1,668
Regarding quality you are correct, earbuds are earbuds :wink: Calling them Beats-something would just make the brand more central, letting it seem more important to Apple, thats what I meant.

As for sound quality of the Studio 3, we'll see. I didn't read anything new in the product copy, i.e. how they improved sound. But it would be a nice and welcome surprise. Actually a nightmare to all midrange headphones: Beats that sound good (not only OK, but good)...

Yes, technologically Audeze would be an interesting match...

Unfortunately all these scenarios leave not too much room vor V-Moda, at least not in the midrange consumer space. Getting Roland behind them was not a bad idea I think.

Roland has helped them launch a few new products quickly but I honestly feel they were rushed. V-MODA has strayed from the crowdsourced formula that made M-100 so successful which is a critical mistake IMO. This thread would have turned out very differently if the company asked what people wanted in CF2W.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #1,087 of 1,668
Roland has helped them launch a few new products quickly but I honestly feel they were rushed. V-MODA has strayed from the crowdsourced formula that made M-100 so successful which is a critical mistake IMO. This thread would have turned out very differently if the company asked what people wanted in CF2W.

I concur. The thread title should be changed from "We discuss..." to "I discuss..." since the only one discussing with Val was Jude. Yes, Vals responsiveness at that time was a major point in my decision for the M-100. I would have loved to see that become a fixed part of their development cycle. I do understand however that asking many people makes it hard to focus.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #1,089 of 1,668
Sep 20, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,091 of 1,668
One of the biggest reasons Apple bought beats was their streaming service which competed directly with Spotify & Google Play.

I had given Beats streaming a try and was familiar with the UI & Features. Apple was behind the game on that. The first iteration of Apple Music was literally Beats streaming with a fresh coat of Apple paint. The UI, Playlists, personalization upon activating the account were exactly the same. Apple is likely making more from the music service than the physical headphones.

But then Beats is also the leading revenue generator and has the best marketing/branding. When you add that up, it just makes good business sense.

Sep 23, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #1,094 of 1,668
I'm relatively new to the headphone scene...is it fair to compare V-Moda products to the Beats Studio 3.0s?
Not all V-Moda products. Though I haven't heard the studio 3, the most proper comparison will be the Crossfade Wireless 2. Best overall sound of each brand. Studio 3 has ANC. I don't care about Wireless so I see the Crossfade 2 as an awesome wired headphone. I believe Studio 3 still has to be charged to use in wired mode, just like the 2. For Apple devices the Studio will have better support for Bluetooth codecs. Build, looks, personal touch go to V-Moda IMO. Crossfade 2 is a very good all around genre Listening headphone. Clear, crisp, nice bass punch, and can be eq'd for more bass if desired

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #1,095 of 1,668
Not all V-Moda products. Though I haven't heard the studio 3, the most proper comparison will be the Crossfade Wireless 2. Best overall sound of each brand. Studio 3 has ANC. I don't care about Wireless so I see the Crossfade 2 as an awesome wired headphone. I believe Studio 3 still has to be charged to use in wired mode, just like the 2. For Apple devices the Studio will have better support for Bluetooth codecs. Build, looks, personal touch go to V-Moda IMO. Crossfade 2 is a very good all around genre Listening headphone. Clear, crisp, nice bass punch, and can be eq'd for more bass if desired
I currently have a pair of M-100s...so I guess it would be a bit of comparing apples to oranges

Users who are viewing this thread

Back