V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #1,066 of 1,668
Headphones in general have very high profit margins. Most of the cost is R&D. Nowadays Beats is actually priced pretty competitively for a major brand. $349 for W1, ANC, etc. which is lower than even the 2013 Studio Wireless model and right in-line with Bose, Sony, and V-MODA.

I agree with that for sure. Headphones are mostly R&D, and all headphones sell for much more than the materials used to produce them.

Still, I think Beats pushed this boundary farther than any other headphone company by far.

To me, Beats headphones sounded worse than the cheap, free headphones that come with a cell phone purchase.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #1,067 of 1,668
I agree with that for sure. Headphones are mostly R&D, and all headphones sell for much more than the materials used to produce them.

Still, I think Beats pushed this boundary farther than any other headphone company by far.

To me, Beats headphones sounded worse than the cheap, free headphones that come with a cell phone purchase.

That's a generalization of when they used to be crap.

Beats Solo3 are borderline excellent headphones, in terms of both features and sound.

Beats under Apple will produce quality gear.

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #1,068 of 1,668
That's a generalization of when they used to be ****.

Beats Solo3 are borderline excellent headphones, in terms of both features and sound.

Beats under Apple will produce quality gear.

I hope you're right because they ripped a lot of people off. As a result, Beats made millions and a lot of people are listening to music that sounds nothing like the way the artist intended it to sound like. I hope they change. But, the fact that they're still paying celebrities the big bucks just to wear their headphones makes me skeptical. It shows they value that kind of thing more than putting money into R&D or quality parts. When they stop pouring so much money into marketing, I might believe their priorities have changed. Until then, I won't feel it's right to recommend Beats. It's the same as recommending paying hundreds of dollars to be advertised to. And I don't believe anyone truly wants that.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #1,069 of 1,668
I hope you're right because they ripped a lot of people off. As a result, Beats made millions and a lot of people are listening to music that sounds nothing like the way the artist intended it to sound like. I hope they change. But, the fact that they're still paying celebrities the big bucks just to wear their headphones makes me skeptical. It shows they value that kind of thing more than putting money into R&D or quality parts. When they stop pouring so much money into marketing, I might believe their priorities have changed. Until then, I won't feel it's right to recommend Beats. It's the same as recommending paying hundreds of dollars to be advertised to. And I don't believe anyone truly wants that.

Beats is just really good with marketing and has deep pockets. Solo3 are my current favorite headphones tbh. They definitely invested solid R&D.

I get your point. Apple buying Beats was the best thing that could happen to the headphone industry because now the #1 selling headphone brand is actually selling consumers quality bass-driven sound. So those same customers that bought Beats when they were crap are now getting very good Beats headphones in 2017.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #1,071 of 1,668
Right you are. I thought I had read that the senns supported it. Edited original post for accuracy.

I think the confusion came from the HD1 in-ears which do support AAC being announced at the same time. It's an odd choice for their in-ear headphones to support AAC & not their over-ears, but it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #1,072 of 1,668
Beats is just really good with marketing and has deep pockets. Solo3 are my current favorite headphones tbh. They definitely invested solid R&D.

I get your point. Apple buying Beats was the best thing that could happen to the headphone industry because now the #1 selling headphone brand is actually selling consumers quality bass-driven sound. So those same customers that bought Beats when they were **** are now getting very good Beats headphones in 2017.
I agree with you on this. Original Solo he was garbage. I'd now take the Solo 3 over the XS, and new Studio over M100. However, CF2W is my favorite portable closed. Did not like the P7 sound or "comfort". Meze 99 are too bright. CF2W wired is perfect blend of bass, mids, treble for fun AND high res music

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #1,073 of 1,668
Interesting that you're talking about the Beats Studio 3s....I was thinking about replacing my M100s with the CFW2, but my curiosity is perked about the Beats especially since I'm a big Apple user and love my AirPods. Hmm...

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #1,074 of 1,668
Interesting that you're talking about the Beats Studio 3s....I was thinking about replacing my M100s with the CFW2, but my curiosity is perked about the Beats especially since I'm a big Apple user and love my AirPods. Hmm...
If you're an Apple and Wireless user, then the Studio 3 makes sense. I'm 95% wired use, so it was definitely CF2W for me. Just better at the more Audiophile type music genres. But Beats is definitely a respectable sound now.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #1,075 of 1,668
If you're an Apple and Wireless user, then the Studio 3 makes sense. I'm 95% wired use, so it was definitely CF2W for me. Just better at the more Audiophile type music genres. But Beats is definitely a respectable sound now.
My situation is that I was looking for a noise cancelling headphone, so I bought the Sony 1000x. I liked them but the quality wasn't the greatest given the headband issues. I've been wearing my 4 year old M100s now for a week and I'm really enjoying them again. I was going to cash in on the Immortal Life Guarantee and get the CF2W for about $205 as that seems to be a great price/option. Maybe I should just stick with that. I've been a Beats hater for awhile :)

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #1,076 of 1,668
My situation is that I was looking for a noise cancelling headphone, so I bought the Sony 1000x. I liked them but the quality wasn't the greatest given the headband issues. I've been wearing my 4 year old M100s now for a week and I'm really enjoying them again. I was going to cash in on the Immortal Life Guarantee and get the CF2W for about $205 as that seems to be a great price/option. Maybe I should just stick with that. I've been a Beats hater for awhile :)
B&W P7

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #1,077 of 1,668
That's what I did. I thought you were keying in on Wireless, that is why I would suggest Beats Studio. What genres of music do you listen to? That also help with recommendations

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,078 of 1,668
I find it interesting that so many people keep mentioning the P7. Spent time with them at Best Buy Magnolia on several occasions. Do not like the feeling of the pads, and not in love with the sound signature.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,079 of 1,668
That's what I did. I thought you were keying in on Wireless, that is why I would suggest Beats Studio. What genres of music do you listen to? That also help with recommendations
Wireless is definitely a plus, but I was looking for noise cancellation. After wearing my M100s for awhile I feel that they cancel the noise pretty well for around the house, which is where I wear them 99% of the time. As for genre of music, 95% of the time I listen to hip-hop/rap/trap and the other 5% is spent listening to rock, alternative, etc. Never country though haha. If I decide on the CF2W would be best I'm going to send my M100s in tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back