V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Sep 10, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #1,051 of 1,668
I've been wanting to pull the trigger on these for so long now. The lack of AAC is a big put off for me as an iPhone/apple music user.
Using them as a wired phone does not really appeal to me as I use open back cans when at home.

Sep 10, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #1,052 of 1,668
I've been wanting to pull the trigger on these for so long now. The lack of AAC is a big put off for me as an iPhone/apple music user.
Using them as a wired phone does not really appeal to me as I use open back cans when at home.

I hate to say it but you can get a lot of wireless headphones with AAC support and better features for the price of the CF2W. The wireless mode is severely outdated in 2017. It's still Bluetooth 3.0 for hecksake.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #1,054 of 1,668
I hate to say it but you can get a lot of wireless headphones with AAC support and better features for the price of the CF2W. The wireless mode is severely outdated in 2017. It's still Bluetooth 3.0 for hecksake.
Yep, where V-Moda was once a pioneer, it's now firmly behind most of the established brands. Still the M-100/CW1 have a very unique sound signature (killer bass) that rival the very best. The CW2 waters this down and tries to be more 'audiophile', but there are far better audiophile headphones you can buy for the same or less money. If it ticked all the wireless boxes, maybe, but if you consider them wired first and wireless as a bonus, look elsewhere for better wired options.

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #1,055 of 1,668
I feel ya. If V-Moda got the W1 from Apple I'd be all over these.

Wireless shouldn't be the afterthought nowadays.

Beats Studio3 seem like a legitimately good alternative. They of course include the W1 chip and AAC support at the same price, should have a fine-tuned bassy sound, and even include colors with gold tones. It's a bit of a toss-up whether Beats or V-MODA's headphones look better, which is a compliment to V-MODA's design.

The problem V-MODA is going to face is that they suddenly have to compete with major tech companies since the industry is shifting to wireless, and it will be difficult to develop in-house technologies that will compete with the W1 chip or the ANC major players have.

It's funny because I bought the M-100 over the Studio, which I never truly considered, and the Momentum specifically but now I'm anxiously looking forward to the Studio3. Apparently still a V-MODA fan too since I still post here but I truly believe Beats via Apple is going to have a product that's the best wireless headphone on the market.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #1,056 of 1,668
Beats Studio3 seem like a legitimately good alternative. They of course include the W1 chip and AAC support at the same price, should have a fine-tuned bassy sound, and even include colors with gold tones. It's a bit of a toss-up whether Beats or V-MODA's headphones look better, which is a compliment to V-MODA's design.

The problem V-MODA is going to face is that they suddenly have to compete with major tech companies since the industry is shifting to wireless, and it will be difficult to develop in-house technologies that will compete with the W1 chip or the ANC major players have.

It's funny because I bought the M-100 over the Studio, which I never truly considered, and the Momentum specifically but now I'm anxiously looking forward to the Studio3. Apparently still a V-MODA fan too since I still post here but I truly believe Beats via Apple is going to have a product that's the best wireless headphone on the market.

Haha! I was itching to mention the new studio's but I thought it was taboo to mention beats around these parts
I'll wait till some decent reviews are out.

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #1,057 of 1,668
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #1,058 of 1,668
The reason why it's taboo to mention Beats is because they're trying to charge you hundreds of dollars for headphones that cost under $10 to make. They're con artists. Check this article out
https://www.google.com/amp/brobible...ats-by-dre-headphones-overpriced-garbage/amp/

That tear down was based off a knockoff pair of headphones if it's the one I'm thinking of. Regardless that was back when Monster designed their headphones and they were POS's. Then Beats started designing their own headphones in 2013-2014, and now Apple currently designs it with them. Not the same company at all.

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #1,059 of 1,668
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #1,062 of 1,668
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #1,063 of 1,668
That article is over 2 years old. Much has changed since then maybe you've read that Apple purchased them.

I hope you guys are right. I hope they've changed completely in two years, but if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on headphones (which I do, way too often!) I'm definitely not going to buy from a company who did the things in that article only two years ago. I mean, they charged $200 for headphones that cost $9 to make. The most expensive part was the metal they put inside to make it weight more, just so it feels more solid... To trick gullible people into thinking it's a premium product.

Even if they have changed a bit in the last two years, just think about how much they spend on advertising even today. They pay a lot of celebrities to wear their headphones in public and they pay them a lot. The money for their marketing has to come from somewhere. Basically you're paying to be advertised to. I want the company I'm buying from to care more about things like sound quality, not how many celebrities are wearing their headphones on camera.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #1,064 of 1,668

There have been multiple tear downs, not just the one. Try googling it. There are lots of different people, sources that have independently done tear downs of beats headphones and the result is always the same. They're terrible headphones made from very cheap parts, in every case.

The manufacturing cost ranges from around $9 to $18 depending on the person doing the teardown. Maybe the $9 teardown was based on fakes.

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #1,065 of 1,668
There have been multiple tear downs, not just the one. Try googling it. There are lots of different people, sources that have independently done tear downs of beats headphones and the result is always the same. They're terrible headphones made from very cheap parts, in every case.

The manufacturing cost ranges from around $9 to $18 depending on the person doing the teardown. Maybe the $9 teardown was based on fakes.

Headphones in general have very high profit margins. Most of the cost is R&D. Nowadays Beats is actually priced pretty competitively for a major brand. $349 for W1, ANC, etc. which is lower than even the 2013 Studio Wireless model and right in-line with Bose, Sony, and V-MODA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back