V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Aug 29, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,037 of 1,668
So I guess the question is now: has V-Moda's reputation taken a serious enough hit for it to matter in the long term? Will anyone ever trust anything they have to say on their products ever again? Or is this just a non-issue, basically.
Basically a non-issue. 95% of headphones don't support AAC. This particular model has not been falsely advertised.

The previous one was falsely advertised.

Unfortunately, reviewers (and most people follow their advice, that's human nature) do not care about codecs. Tyll does not, and he manages to spell AAC incorrectly from time to time. None of YouTube reviewers do care. So it's only damaging when you look at the enthusiast community; however that's what has shaped V-MODA in the first place—so I guess it is damaging.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,038 of 1,668
So I guess the question is now: has V-Moda's reputation taken a serious enough hit for it to matter in the long term? Will anyone ever trust anything they have to say on their products ever again? Or is this just a non-issue, basically.
Well, it made me question my own CFW purchase, and explore other options. Lucky I did, because I didn't realise how much I was missing out on. I've been using V-Moda since the M-100, and loved it for it's bass-heavy sound, but didn't know then how much the bass bloat of the V-Moda 'house sound' veils just about every type of song I listen to. After the AAC debacle of the CFW I started listening to other headphones as alternate options. Not only did I realise just how inferior wireless was to lossless files using wired headphones (not matter if it's AAC or APTX), but I also quickly understood the shortcomings of the V-Modas (at least the ones I used, the M-100 and CFW). Without losing any bass heft, the B&W P7, for example, trumped the V-Modas in every aspect, except perhaps comfort (despite it's superior build quality). The first thing you'll notice is how much clearer vocals are on the P7s because the bass doesn't cloud the mids. Today I've moved on to the Massdrop Foster TH-X00, and feel like I'm listening to music on another plane altogether. So for not much more money, you can do much, much better.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,039 of 1,668
P7. P7. Did I mention P7? I think I did. It fits your description like a glove.
+1, if you find them comfortable (the P7W is more comfortable than the P7 wired because of the memory foam earpads - and they sound the same wired). The P7 is a better headphone in every way, wired or wireless. It's worth a lot more, in fact, than the price premium over the V-Modas.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,040 of 1,668
Basically a non-issue. 95% of headphones don't support AAC. This particular model has not been falsely advertised. This is much less damaging than what HiFiMAN has done and HFM is still making money.
For me personally it was the combination of the misleading statements about the original CFW followed up immediately by simply not providing any info about the CF2W. If they ever feel like communicating again, I'll maybe reconsider them as a viable option.

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #1,041 of 1,668
For me personally it was the combination of the misleading statements about the original CFW followed up immediately by simply not providing any info about the CF2W. If they ever feel like communicating again, I'll maybe reconsider them as a viable option.

Pretty much this. The thing is, I love the styling of them vs most everything else out there. But the false advertising and complete disregard in addressing theses problems is such a major turn off.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #1,042 of 1,668
Pretty much this. The thing is, I love the styling of them vs most everything else out there. But the false advertising and complete disregard in addressing theses problems is such a major turn off.

So much this. The style and sound description are great. If there was integrity in advertising previously and this was handled transparently, I'd probably be in. Even something like "we went with SBC because ______" would be fine. I'd have already bought them. Went with the ORA Kickstarter instead.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #1,043 of 1,668
I've owned my V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless for a few months now and I'm still impressed by their sound on a daily basis. I own Sennheiser hd650 and AKG K7xx headphones too, so I was expecting to only use the Crossfade 2 for their Bluetooth capabality when I'm on the go. Yet, I find myself preferring the V-Moda's a lot of the time. They have better bass than my other headphones, they're more durable, and more convenient with the Bluetooth Aptx. The bass does not drown out the other frequencies because this is the most balanced, audio-friendly headphones from V-Moda yet. The company really knows what they're doing. They hit a home run this time around and I suspect these headphones will only get more popular over time as audiophiles learn how balanced/accurate the sound is. There's still a little extra bass, but not enough to ruin it. I recommend the Rose Gold version, as it supports aptx which makes a big difference.

They're even better wired, as they were primarily designed as wired headphones, with added Aptx Bluetooth afterward for convenience. They pair well with my Dragonfly Red dac/amp and various Fiio amps.

If you're the type of listener who likes a balanced sound, with a touch of extra bass, I'd recommend these to anyone. I'd pay $350 for these even if they didn't have Bluetooth at all.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #1,044 of 1,668
I like my CFW1......and I would upgrade to a CFW2 but I find it a bit annoying the aptX is only included if you like 'gold'.(I REALLY don't)......considering V-Moda pride themselves on 'customisation' this decision is odd. Surely it would have been a better decision to put aptX in all CFW2?

I really don't understand their decision on this.

I do want to take issue with a comment about the B&W P7 wireless made a while ago...saying the bass doesn't bleed into the mids......to my ears, the bass boost on the P7W, is all over the mids, so much so that I had to return mine, which is unusual for me as I collect and use many different headphones, open, closed, portable and wireless. I think Tyll was being very 'generous' when he said the P7W bass boost '' bleeds just slightly into the midrange.''

I can listen very happily, when I am out and about with my CFW1 but the P7W drove me potty!

Guess it's a matter of taste.

Here's hoping for more aptX options on CFW2!

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,045 of 1,668
I like my CFW1......and I would upgrade to a CFW2 but I find it a bit annoying the aptX is only included if you like 'gold'.(I REALLY don't)......considering V-Moda pride themselves on 'customisation' this decision is odd. Surely it would have been a better decision to put aptX in all CFW2?

I do want to take issue with a comment about the B&W P7 wireless made a while ago...saying the bass doesn't bleed into the mids......to my ears, the bass boost on the P7W, is all over the mids, so much so that I had to return mine, which is unusual for me as I collect and use many different headphones, open, closed, portable and wireless. I think Tyll was being very 'generous' when he said the P7W bass boost '' bleeds just slightly into the midrange.''

I can listen very happily, when I am out and about with my CFW1 but the P7W drove me potty!

Guess it's a matter of taste.

Here's hoping for more aptX options on CFW2!
My experience is exactly the opposite to yours. Mind you I never owned the P7W, but the P7 wired made me realise just how much I was missing from the midrange because of the boosted bass on the CW1. Everything was just so much better separated on the P7 with more detail, and the soundstage was noticeably wider too. I guess it's all a matter of preference.

Keep in mind the P7 (wired at least) needs a good 30-40hrs burn in for the bass to settle in and the highs to sparkle, and I imagine the P7W would be similar. But once it's in, there's just no comparison.

Mind you I found a similar jump in quality between the P7 (now sold) and the Fostex TH-X00 (even though the Fostex is the same price as the P7 it's in a different class).

The rabbit hole runs deep! :)

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #1,047 of 1,668

Me too. I do like my CFW1, and I also want to upgrade to the CFW2, but that ugly/girly Rose Gold is preventing me from upgrading.

I don't know why they limit aptX to such a ugly color.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,048 of 1,668
For anyone interested, Musicians Friend added the first Crossfade Wireless to their inventory and are selling the Gunmetal and White versions for 89 dollars. Not sure if that's a mistake or if they're selling headphones that literally fell off a truck...and were then run over. But that's a good price.

That seems to have been a mistake since they took it down already, but I was thinking that maybe they're clearing out v1 if they're going to release a new version for the holidays.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #1,049 of 1,668
I think CF2W was misjudged as it is a wired headphone with wireless functionality merely included as a "bonus."

What I'm looking for is a wireless headphone with wired mode as a bonus.

Let's see if V-MODA has any products coming out for the holidays... I will do a fair comparison between all the new major wireless headphones.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #1,050 of 1,668
Interesting that the P7W came up... I had it, but sent it back. Bass was too much for me (upper bass, something I'm quite sensitive to) and treble seemed overly harsh. Just made me nervous. The CF2 fits my mobile needs much better, I still like it very much. Yes, its more balanced than the M-100 and the original CF, but thats the point for me... It does sound a bit better when wired to my AK380, but wireless is very convenient indeed.

And regarding the rose gold color: its not that bad. Its far from what Apple calls Rose Gold, which is more of a metallic pink, but looks much like copper. Together with the screws on the same color it does like quite nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back