V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jul 29, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,006 of 1,668
It is great to see that after a month or so of not visiting the thread I can return and pick up with the same lack of AAC bashing and lack of positive reviews and how the M-100 has better sound. Lack of AAC yes but the better sound on the M-100 or lack of positive review, not so. These are the first V-Moda which is a little serious about it's sound and it is more balanced. I prefer wired mode and again these are supposed to be a wired headphone first and wireless second.
You already know I'm with you. Telling anyone who will listen. These are some SERIOUS headphones. I simply don't consider Bluetooth headphones serious. Good, fine, but serious means you can swing through all formats of music and appeal the the 24/192, DSD guy, wherever he is. Check two posts above yours, I'm still preaching, lol

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #1,007 of 1,668
You already know I'm with you. Telling anyone who will listen. These are some SERIOUS headphones. I simply don't consider Bluetooth headphones serious. Good, fine, but serious means you can swing through all formats of music and appeal the the 24/192, DSD guy, wherever he is. Check two posts above yours, I'm still preaching, lol

+1 Again :) and impress me how good they can scale from different sources, from the bluetooth of my iMac up to wired from my SP1000

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,008 of 1,668
It is great to see that after a month or so of not visiting the thread I can return and pick up with the same lack of AAC bashing and lack of positive reviews and how the M-100 has better sound. Lack of AAC yes but the better sound on the M-100 or lack of positive review, not so. These are the first V-Moda which is a little serious about it's sound and it is more balanced. I prefer wired mode and again these are supposed to be a wired headphone first and wireless second.
It's also great to see that after three months V-Moda still hasn't provided a list of supported codecs.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,009 of 1,668
It's also great to see that after three months V-Moda still hasn't provided a list of supported codecs.
Well as I have said ad nauseum...what we do know is it has Qualcomm apt-X. I even said in my review, only assume what they tell you is what it has. If you don't have interest in that codec move on. I guess it is just more fun to moan about it. These are the most balanced yet from V-Moda.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,010 of 1,668
I do just want to reiterate, these are incredible sounding headphones, even over bt. I rank them just above the Mdr1000x and just behind the B&O H7 in terms of sound quality at this price range. The build, accessories, and comfort are too notch. It's the battery life and the beeping that killed it for me. Just wanted to clear that up.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #1,011 of 1,668
Well as I have said ad nauseum...what we do know is it has Qualcomm apt-X. I even said in my review, only assume what they tell you is what it has. If you don't have interest in that codec move on. I guess it is just more fun to moan about it. These are the most balanced yet from V-Moda.
It actually isn't fun to moan about it. Is it fun to cheer a company's willfull ignorance?

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,012 of 1,668
The CF2W trounces the M100 in OVERALL quality sound. Take them as the same model, a wired, and the CF2W is far more versatile. Tighter bass, more forward mids, sparkly treble, Can shine on any genre. The m100 with their recessed mids more subdued treble, and boomy bass catered yo a very specific audience. I loved my M100, but my taste in music grew, and I didn't like carrying 2 pairs of headphones everywhere for when I decided to switch genres. As a wired model, CF2W is V-Moda best model to date. Regarding Bluetooth, it's OK, but as they stated it wasn't their focus. Unfortunate for primarily wireless users, but I picked the CF2W over the 99 Classic. Both have great low end and mids. Both have clear treble, but the CF2W is a little less fatiguing. Still very clear though. Hip hop to classical, these cans can and do shine. Awesome upgrade.

I should probably clarify that I haven't heard a lot of positive feedback on wireless mode itself though that usually isn't due to SQ, while wired does indeed look to be improved over M-100. Based on FR it looks like they did a good job with improving the sound.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #1,013 of 1,668
I should probably clarify that I haven't heard a lot of positive feedback on wireless mode itself though that usually isn't due to SQ, while wired does indeed look to be improved over M-100. Based on FR it looks like they did a good job with improving the sound.
Oh, ok. Definitely yes, an amazing portable wired headphone. Wireless mode is average on function. Sound is decent, but definitely not worth the price as a WIRELESS headphone. Wireless is most definitely a SECONDARY function of these phones. Wireless mode is definitely pushed to cater to you super AVERAGE headphone listener who knows nothing about codecs, CD quality, or hi-res music

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #1,015 of 1,668
When these were first announced, I felt like they would be my next headphones. I'm an EDM guy who's also an audiophile AND the features seemed to fit my lifestyle pretty well. I make a lot of calls at work, I workout a lot and spend time in the gym. I actually kinda saw myself going all-in on vmoda with the Forza Metallo Wireless as the perfect compliment to these.

And they ALMOST got my business. But I already have some nice stuff and it would need to have really competitive wireless from Apple sources for me to commit.

Well, I've decided on the ZS5 Over the Forza Metallo for the gym since it's cheap and doesn't have a large neck... mount. And neither have AAC.

I doubt the wired performance of the CF2W can match/beat my Blue MoFi wired, especially considering I loathe carrying extra amperage when mobile. But they would have gotten me with strong wireless performance. Especially concerning is that the company has publicly backed AAC as ideal before.

My MoFi battery will die and I need something probably in the next year, which is why I've been looking at the next thing and having that thing be wireless. I went with something else which matched all of mydesired features on paper.

Vmoda, you came SO close. And with me being an EDM heavy technofile who loves style, tech, performance, innovation... It's a disappointing miss for both, no doubt.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #1,016 of 1,668
So.... I finally turned on the Bluetooth of my CF2W Black model, connected to my Sony Z3, playing Tidal. I decided not to use my wired setup as I would simply be walking through Target for 20min or so, and then heading out. Codec talk aside, it was an engaging experience. Yes I can tell the difference between these on Bluetooth and when they are wired to my Dragonfly Red and JDS C5 amp. But for what I was doing with these, I definitely enjoyed the sound. The built in amp has nice low end response, and the treble is still better on these in Wireless mode than the M100 wired. For short listens, where I don't want to take the 7 min to hook up my portable system, this will be more than adequate. I'm fully understanding individuals issue with lack of higher res codec support, and if Wireless is how you primarily listen, I get spending $300+ on headphones without the latest codecs doesn't seem like a good idea, but they sound good. Not quite sure if I'm supposed to be surprised by that or not. Ok, we'll just wanted to add my thoughts on the non APTX models overall sound. I'll let you resume your discussion. Happy listening!

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,017 of 1,668
I've once tried the Beats Solo3 and yes, the wireless part is really good (range, pairing etc.). Sound was... maybe not as awful as older Solo models, but they went back within an hour of opening them. Definitely not for me, too muffled and too much midbass, very closed in. Don't like their plasticky look, their headband padding, their folding mechanism.

Yes, bluetooth performance (reception, range) is not the best part of the CF2, but I still like their sound very much. Yes, they sound better cabled (in both cases using an AK380), but for on the go wireless would be good enough. Unfortunately the AK380 is no master of bluetooth as well, especially in crowded areas I do have problems (I guess its caused by many bluetooth devices in short distance). Nevertheless the CF2 is my favorite mobile.

Its a pity @valkolton is not as present as he was with the M-100. The choice to use APT-X on one model is a bit weird, as is the omission of AAC. Oh well...

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #1,018 of 1,668
You know, I was doing my "portable closed-back" shoot out with the CFW2, PM-3, NAD HP50, and my newly acquired Focal Listen. And the funniest thing was I liked the PM-3 the least. As V-shaped as the CFW2 is, they handle the mid-range and vocals quite well I think. There's something that the PM-3 does to make the mid-range sound oddly compressed and vocals can come across to my ears as almost nasal. Is there something wrong with me?

Still, I can't say that I'm happy of Mr. Kolton's odd disappearance from Head-Fi conveniently timed where people are asking what happened to the AAC codec support. I mean, can't they just say, "Sorry we made an error. We'll work on that for the CFW3" or something like that? It would make a lot of the communication issues with people here go away...I think.

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #1,019 of 1,668
Maybe their supplier had a manufacturing problem or something. The matte black and rose gold variants have been backordered for weeks! :beyersmile:

Aug 9, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,020 of 1,668
You know, I was doing my "portable closed-back" shoot out with the CFW2, PM-3, NAD HP50, and my newly acquired Focal Listen. And the funniest thing was I liked the PM-3 the least. As V-shaped as the CFW2 is, they handle the mid-range and vocals quite well I think. There's something that the PM-3 does to make the mid-range sound oddly compressed and vocals can come across to my ears as almost nasal. Is there something wrong with me?

Still, I can't say that I'm happy of Mr. Kolton's odd disappearance from Head-Fi conveniently timed where people are asking what happened to the AAC codec support. I mean, can't they just say, "Sorry we made an error. We'll work on that for the CFW3" or something like that? It would make a lot of the communication issues with people here go away...I think.

Absolutely, and I would no doubt be an early adopter. Would be nice to have 'official closure'. Not thats it's needed but would instill more trust, at least for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back