V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jul 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #991 of 1,668
So you are AAC heavy. With that being the case, the Beats are definitely better for you. V-Moda isn't the only company not catering to AAC, though. The Sennheiser M2 doesn't have support for AAC either. If you are an Apple guy, and Bluetooth is what you are free, then Beats is the way to go IMO. Thankfully I do neither. Love my CF2W wired....for portable use anyway. Yes, not catering to AAC limits the advanced use for a large number of headphones users that are IOS people, at the same time, a large number of those individuals know nothing about audio codecs. At the same time, a large number of those know nothing other than Beats either. I think that was a bit of a hard decision, but I do agree that all colors should have had AptX. Still grabbed the all black, and I keep thinking charged, but plan to almost never use the function. New question. Do you enjoy the Solo 3? Not a fan of on ear. Had the XS for a good amount of time. Once I tried over ear, couldn't go back. My ears lay off my head, so on ear is extra pressure
I enjoy the Solo 3's in wireless mode, but unfortunately for me my wife took them and uses them at work. She listens to music while she works for about 5-6 hours a day, and she had the Rose Gold Crossfade 2 Wireless. She had to charge them every third day. With the Solos, she can a week and a half. She's also noticed that after about a month or two of use, the CF2W are already decreasing in battery life. The sound signature is also more "fun" on the Solos. I prefer over-ear as well, so I'd be much happier if the CF2W were the ones with the better features.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #992 of 1,668
I enjoy the Solo 3's in wireless mode, but unfortunately for me my wife took them and uses them at work. She listens to music while she works for about 5-6 hours a day, and she had the Rose Gold Crossfade 2 Wireless. She had to charge them every third day. With the Solos, she can a week and a half. She's also noticed that after about a month or two of use, the CF2W are already decreasing in battery life. The sound signature is also more "fun" on the Solos. I prefer over-ear as well, so I'd be much happier if the CF2W were the ones with the better features.
The "issue" of having to charge them every third day, I honestly don't see as an issue. 10-12 hrs playback time is standard. Now as for you, being a long time head-fi elmember, what has you so set on Bluetooth? I was all Bluetooth, until I messed with rooted Android and Viper audio, then completely ditched Bluetooth for FLAC audio and mobile DAC

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #993 of 1,668
The "issue" of having to charge them every third day, I honestly don't see as an issue. 10-12 hrs playback time is standard. Now as for you, being a long time head-fi elmember, what has you so set on Bluetooth? I was all Bluetooth, until I messed with rooted Android and Viper audio, then completely ditched Bluetooth for FLAC audio and mobile DAC
I'm not concerned with Bluetooth. The wife is for convenience. I use a pair of M100s that I got for 135 new this past holiday.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #994 of 1,668
I'm not concerned with Bluetooth. The wife is for convenience. I use a pair of M100s that I got for 135 new this past holiday.
So you actually prefer the m100 to the CF2W? What genres are you listening to? Why do you prefer it? I'm not a treble fan, yet after hearing Utopia and 99 Classic, I was able to be ok with CF2W treble, and actually like it, more, now than I did when I first heard it. Less bright than the two mentioned, which is a plus for me

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #995 of 1,668
I believe VModa should have made it more clear about the bluetooth codec issue in the beginning, or directly include APTX in all the models. Who knows, maybe the marketing team believed $20 or $30 would make them +/- competitive, or made sense to launch two models with and without APTX.

Having said that, I enjoy my VMODA CF2W a LOT, IMO and having owned from the first M100 version, this is the best signature evolution ever for them. Despite having much more expensive headphones, I enjoy and come back to them daily. They sound great from many different sources, and especially good wired from my Ultima SP1000 player.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #996 of 1,668
So you actually prefer the m100 to the CF2W? What genres are you listening to? Why do you prefer it? I'm not a treble fan, yet after hearing Utopia and 99 Classic, I was able to be ok with CF2W treble, and actually like it, more, now than I did when I first heard it. Less bright than the two mentioned, which is a plus for me
I'm using them mainly for modern rock via Spotify as well as gaming and movies.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #997 of 1,668
Last week I received a free pair of Beats Solo 3 (back-to-school promotion at Apple.com) and it really opened my eyes on what one should expect from a pair of bluetooth headphones. And it really shined a light on how far behind the curve V-moda is. Battery life, codec support, listening distance etc are all sub-par on the CF2W. Much to my surprise, the Beats actually sound better (wireless, not wired). V-moda deserves all the knocks they're getting for this release. They had a chance for a do-over on the CFW, and they fumbled it.

This is the typical response I see from audiophiles who purchase the Solo3, down to finding their sound great in wireless mode. No way around it whether you're a consumer or an audiophile, the Solo3 is a great wireless headphone. I didn't even consider the Studio/Studio Wireless when I bought the M-100, but I'll be looking very closely at the new Studio model later this year.

In fact, I haven't heard a single complaint on head-fi or r/headphones from somebody who's actually owned the Solo3.

I've been thinking that CF2W was just meant to be a sound/comfort upgrade and not an upgrade to the wireless whatsoever as it's unchanged from the first version.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #998 of 1,668
Hi, I was wondering that has anyone compared the CF2W against Sennheiser's Momentum (M2) Wireless (Around-Ear)? I recently purchased the M2 Wireless and I am, relatively, happy with the sound. I know, the M2 Wireless is leaning a bit on the neutral side of headphones when it comes to sound, but personally I could use a bit more bass and dynamics than they offer.

That said, would the CF2W be a good alternative?

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #999 of 1,668
Hi, I was wondering that has anyone compared the CF2W against Sennheiser's Momentum (M2) Wireless (Around-Ear)? I recently purchased the M2 Wireless and I am, relatively, happy with the sound. I know, the M2 Wireless is leaning a bit on the neutral side of headphones when it comes to sound, but personally I could use a bit more bass and dynamics than they offer.

That said, would the CF2W be a good alternative?

Momentums are not that neutral at all, they are quite warm and bassy.

Under no circumstances you should think about getting a wireless V-MODA if you already have wireless or wired Momentums.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #1,000 of 1,668
Momentums are not that neutral at all, they are quite warm and bassy.

Under no circumstances you should think about getting a wireless V-MODA if you already have wireless or wired Momentums.

They are very similar headphones. M2 Wireless is pretty bassy but V-MODA will be tuned for a stronger bass and treble.

In most other regards they're comparable. Large earpads, 22 hours of battery on the M2 vs 14, the same codecs (on Rose Gold). V-MODA likely has a slight edge in sound while M2 has an edge in tech but I agree, there's no reason to switch from one or the other. Wait for CF3W or M3.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #1,001 of 1,668
No way the CF2W has 14 hours of battery life, unless there is something wrong with mine, which get roughly 10. But the worst part by far is the beeping once the battery gets low. After 8 hours of playback, these headphones start warning me about low battery. It's not like the other wireless headphones I've owned, which will beep once when the battery gets low. These beep every minute for two hours until they finally die. Extremely poor choice in design and a fatal flaw if you ask me. These are otherwise great headphones, but if you're gonna go V-moda, get the M100.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #1,002 of 1,668
No way the CF2W has 14 hours of battery life, unless there is something wrong with mine, which get roughly 10. But the worst part by far is the beeping once the battery gets low. After 8 hours of playback, these headphones start warning me about low battery. It's not like the other wireless headphones I've owned, which will beep once when the battery gets low. These beep every minute for two hours until they finally die. Extremely poor choice in design and a fatal flaw if you ask me. These are otherwise great headphones, but if you're gonna go V-moda, get the M100.

M-100 has a lot of great feedback, but I really haven't heard a lot of positive feedback on CF2W. I hope they figure out how to improve for the next version.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #1,003 of 1,668
M-100 has a lot of great feedback, but I really haven't heard a lot of positive feedback on CF2W. I hope they figure out how to improve for the next version.
The CF2W trounces the M100 in OVERALL quality sound. Take them as the same model, a wired, and the CF2W is far more versatile. Tighter bass, more forward mids, sparkly treble, Can shine on any genre. The m100 with their recessed mids more subdued treble, and boomy bass catered yo a very specific audience. I loved my M100, but my taste in music grew, and I didn't like carrying 2 pairs of headphones everywhere for when I decided to switch genres. As a wired model, CF2W is V-Moda best model to date. Regarding Bluetooth, it's OK, but as they stated it wasn't their focus. Unfortunate for primarily wireless users, but I picked the CF2W over the 99 Classic. Both have great low end and mids. Both have clear treble, but the CF2W is a little less fatiguing. Still very clear though. Hip hop to classical, these cans can and do shine. Awesome upgrade.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #1,004 of 1,668
The CF2W trounces the M100 in OVERALL quality sound. Take them as the same model, a wired, and the CF2W is far more versatile. Tighter bass, more forward mids, sparkly treble. Can shine on any genre. The m100 with their recessed mids more subdued treble, and boomy bass catered yo a very specific audience. I loved my M100, but my taste in music grew, and I didn't like carrying 2 pairs of headphones everywhere for when I decided to switch genres. As a wired model, CF2W is V-Moda best model to date. Regarding Bluetooth, it's ok, but as they stated it wasn't their focus. Unfortunate for primarily wireless users, but I picked the CF2W over the 99 Classic. Both have great low end and mids. Both have clear trebke, but the CF2W is a little less fatiguing. Still very clear though. Hip hop to classical, these cans can and do shine. Awesome upgrade.

+1

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #1,005 of 1,668
It is great to see that after a month or so of not visiting the thread I can return and pick up with the same lack of AAC bashing and lack of positive reviews and how the M-100 has better sound. Lack of AAC yes but the better sound on the M-100 or lack of positive review, not so. These are the first V-Moda which is a little serious about it's sound and it is more balanced. I prefer wired mode and again these are supposed to be a wired headphone first and wireless second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back