V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 9, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #406 of 1,668

Wireless from AK player and Pioneer (android based)  sounds compressed, big difference with wired. Wireless from Iphone 7 quite good, still wire have an edge, but just that.

Okay now THAT is interesting. Given that I'll be using an Android player (LG G6) I really would like to try these myself.

I wonder if that's part of the issue. When I tested the CFW1, it was out of my own phone, and was big time disappointing. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #408 of 1,668
I think the M-100 sounds better with bass reduction EQ so they're on the right track even if I don't prefer a sibilant treble.

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #410 of 1,668
m100 is better than crossfade 2? :s
You test a m100 v2 with a lot of burn-in, right or a new unit... ?

No, I'm saying that the M-100 sound better with EQ for less bass boost, at least on songs that don't have strong basslines. Crossfade 2 has less bass boost than the M-100 so they should sound better overall over the M-100.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #414 of 1,668
CF2W REVIEW UPDATE!!!! SomeGuyDudeskyejackDiscoProJoe Back from my second day at Canjam. So, what a difference a day makes. Today I was looking for a possible all genre "portable" headphone. Also had the pleasure of listening to Focal Utopia and Abyss flagship. Great sounding cans, both a little peaky for my taste. Not overly sibilant, but I got really used to seriously toned down treble. Anyway, found myself listening to Meze 99 classic. Wow. Good sounding semi-portablish shape. Lows to mids very well presented. Highs there, clear, a little bright, but that is my opinion. Pleasant can overall. Went back to V-moda table for second take of CF2W. Lows not as boomy as M100 but present, full, tight, cleaner, still FULL. Mids good presentation. Highs crisp, actually more pleasant and easier on the ears than the Meze 99. I went back and forth to both tables 2 more times. After listening to a number of IMO peaky cans and earphones today, my sense of hearing readjusted. I honestly feel like the CF2W is DEFINITELY an upgrade to the M100 in overall SQ. Bring the bass back a step, but tighten it up. "Humble" by Kendrick Lamar. Vocals not recessed, clear, nice sparkle. "Come Away with me" by Norah Jones. Instrumental music not underrepresented and actually an accurate sound signature. "Realize" by Theo Croker. For me, the sound signature is more pleasant than the Meze 99. And to show it's not just looking service, I purchased a pair, trading in my loved, but genre excluding M100. The CF2W is now my sole portable can. Replacing my M100/HifiMan Edition S combination. I believe I was too hasty in my judgement yesterday. Coming from a veiled and recessed M100 I was used to having to crank the volume to get more from vocals and instruments. When I would switch to CF2W I would have to lower volume a bit as it was uncomfortable. Point is the mids, don't sit in the background, and the highs are readily present. Yes I'm doing a 180 & I apologize after several straight hours I am really happy with this purchase.
Earpads
Yes, the earpads aren't as deep as the XL pads, but they are far more comfortable, as these ARE memory foam. As the XL pads compressed anyway, it's a non-issue. To add depth I used the same fix as I did for XL pads. Ethernet cable underneath the earpads gives extra clearance so as to not push up against my ear. Much better cushions overall CF2W IS THE BEST WIRED V-MODA CAN and can replace both the M100 and the XS.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #415 of 1,668
CF2W REVIEW UPDATE!!!! SomeGuyDudeskyejackDiscoProJoe Back from my second day at Canjam. So, what a difference a day makes. Today I was looking for a possible all genre "portable" headphone. Also had the pleasure of listening to Focal Utopia and Abyss flagship. Great sounding cans, both a little peaky for my taste. Not overly sibilant, but I got really used to seriously toned down treble. Anyway, found myself listening to Meze 99 classic. Wow. Good sounding semi-portablish shape. Lows to mids very well presented. Highs there, clear, a little bright, but that is my opinion. Pleasant can overall. Went back to V-moda table for second take of CF2W. Lows not as boomy as M100 but present, full, tight, cleaner, still FULL. Mids good presentation. Highs crisp, actually more pleasant and easier on the ears than the Meze 99. I went back and forth to both tables 2 more times. After listening to a number of IMO peaky cans and earphones today, my sense of hearing readjusted. I honestly feel like the CF2W is DEFINITELY an upgrade to the M100 in overall SQ. Bring the bass back a step, but tighten it up. "Humble" by Kendrick Lamar. Vocals not recessed, clear, nice sparkle. "Come Away with me" by Norah Jones. Instrumental music not underrepresented and actually an accurate sound signature. "Realize" by Theo Croker. For me, the sound signature is more pleasant than the Meze 99. And to show it's not just looking service, I purchased a pair, trading in my loved, but genre excluding M100. The CF2W is now my sole portable can. Replacing my M100/HifiMan Edition S combination. I believe I was too hasty in my judgement yesterday. Coming from a veiled and recessed M100 I was used to having to crank the volume to get more from vocals and instruments. When I would switch to CF2W I would have to lower volume a bit as it was uncomfortable. Point is the mids, don't sit in the background, and the highs are readily present. Yes I'm doing a 180 & I apologize after several straight hours I am really happy with this purchase.
Earpads
Yes, the earpads aren't as deep as the XL pads, but they are far more comfortable, as these ARE memory foam. As the XL pads compressed anyway, it's a non-issue. To add depth I used the same fix as I did for XL pads. Ethernet cable underneath the earpads gives extra clearance so as to not push up against my ear. Much better cushions overall CF2W IS THE BEST WIRED V-MODA CAN and can replace both the M100 and the XS.

Dude whatchoo doing to me? Seriously though, I appreciate the follow-up. Which color? And how does Bluetooth sound without Aptx? Do you have an Apple TV 4 to test on by any chance?

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #416 of 1,668
Dude whatchoo doing to me? Seriously though, I appreciate the follow-up. Which color? And how does Bluetooth sound without Aptx? Do you have an Apple TV 4 to test on by any chance?
sorry again, but I felt it would only be right for me to be transparent and give my updated thoughts. I got the matte black as Bluetooth is an afterthought for me. Um a dragonfly red, Flac audio guy, with a Cayin C5 headphone amp. I will use Bluetooth to take calls, and for short breaks at school where I can't take time to pull out full rig. So I can handle non aptX. I use my dac when I go on my runs, so Bluetooth really isn't a priority for me. The shiny rose gold isn't for me. Had it been a matte finish I would have thought about it a little bit. But for my 90% wired use, desired color meant more

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #417 of 1,668
Totally agree.  I had the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless and it sounded compressed without much detail over my iPhone (Apple Music).  They sounded good over aptX (LG G4) with Google Play (320kbps) and had markedly better clarity.  Ended up returning them, since I stuck with Apple Music (AAC) and the iPhone.  I still have the LG G4, but it has no service and I need something while I'm on the go (which is pretty much all the time).

As far as the CFW2, from what I'm reading, it sounds like they are going to sound peaky/harsh/sibilant.  Not to mention that over wireless, as an iPhone user, those traits are going to be made worse when confined to SBC.  Cliqfold is nice, but not a must-have for me.  Matte Black is sexy, but Gunmetal Black looks pretty snazzy too.  Already have the XL ear pads.  40,000Hz?  Man, I'm not a dog.

As of now, I'm going to stick with my CFW1 with AAC.

Using my iPhone 7 with these wireless and wired using the adapter I don't notice a noticeable difference that I would complain

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #420 of 1,668
Originally Posted by hifi80sman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

40,000Hz?  Man, I'm not a dog.

As an FYI, the reason headphones often have a range like that is because it means the driver isn't hitting anywhere close to its mechanical limits on either end of the spectrum. It doesn't mean they're going to somehow be adding tones at that range to your music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back