V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 4, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #196 of 1,668
Did anybody here own or had a look at AiAiAi TMA-2? https://aiaiai.dk/ 

They are doing their own bluetooth thing, which includes AAC (!) and AptX HD (!!!).

I know for sure AiAiAis are super popular amongst European indie DJs and hipster electronic music artists. They also look absolutely amazing, northern European minimalism style.

Not sure about the sound and impressions, anyone?

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #197 of 1,668

If you remember, one of the biggest questions to Val about the CFW1 was why the absence of the cliqfold, and he never answered, so I doubt he will ever answer the AAC question about the CFW2. 
If it came with AAC, we would know it, why wouldn't he say it? He is probably going to dismiss the use of AAC, by pushing the high res audio certification, and being "ahead of the game"
Like  someone else said, Val says these are primarily a wired headphone, with the convenience of bluetooth.....who knows, maybe it will come with AAC, but I just think he would've said that already

Yup, they're primarily a wired headphone with just the bonus of Bluetooth however I think they misread the market because personally I'd prefer to primarily have a great Bluetooth headphone with the added bonus of hi-res certification in wired mode.

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #198 of 1,668

Yup, they're primarily a wired headphone with just the bonus of Bluetooth however I think they misread the market because personally I'd prefer to primarily have a great Bluetooth headphone with the added bonus of hi-res certification in wired mode.

If that's the case, I don't think they misread the market, really. It's a costs saving matter, same as with CfW1, but way worse. When discussing CfW1, Val was raving about how AptX is not important and AAC is (since it is supported in Apple devices). This time — if all the rumors here are true — he did it on purpose.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #199 of 1,668
I'd love to hear these but all of the important points that you guys are bringing up are pooping on my confidence in v-moda. I'm sour about the matte black cf2w not having AT LEAST aptx. Rose gold can piss off.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #202 of 1,668
Forget the color wars, i'd rather they just kept it matte black like the LP2/m100  and spend the extra money on leather headband, and some better earpads. Those XL pads are a joke. They should be better quality, and the cup should be all aluminum. There is a reason i stopped going v-moda after Lp2 though i got a good 4 years. Its about the sound first, which should be perfected. The headband started flaking/ had multiple areas cracked, sinking XL pads after like a month. Come on V-Moda!

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #203 of 1,668

Just FYI this "Japanese professional audio" standard is simply the Hi-Res Audio badge and it's set of specifications spearheaded by the Japan Audio Society, the specs outline a set of standards that an audio recording or piece of audio gear needs to meet to attain said badge. In the case of a headphone or speaker, it needs to be able to produce a a minimum of 40kHz and above, not that we can hear any of that.

Read more here - http://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en

OK, my bad.

But this does raise another question, though: instead of V-Moda spending their R&D resources on getting a headphone to put out 40 kHz sound, what if, instead, they'd put that R&D into increasing the acoustic sensitivity (especially in the sub-bass), along with improving the power handling and X-max of the drivers...while at the same time maintaining the same overall sound quality, portability, and durability that the M-100 has? This would appeal to a lot more people in the headphone market...than trying to cater to the hardcore audiophiles, which have a plethora of choices from other brands that specialize in that kind of stuff, already.

I remember back in early 2002, just after converting my entire CD collection to MP3 at 192 kbps in late 2001, I debated with someone online a little bit. He said that Super-Audio CDs would be "the way of the future." I said, no, and I told him that MP3s would be, instead.

I said that CDs and MP3s at 192 kbps or higher...already sound good enough for most people. MP3s just take what is practically the same sound quality of CDs and vastly improve the portability, durability, ease of use, ability to share with others, etc.

I also said that SACDs don't improve anything over CDs other than sound quality, and that most people either can't notice or can't really appreciate this particular improvement.

So, needless to say,...MP3s clearly won out with most people over SACDs.

Anyway, I think V-Moda should take a clue from this. Instead of pursuing the "HD Sound" label, V-Moda should instead focus its product features on portability, durability, ease of use, and the ability to play them louder with the same amount of power input while maintaining practically the same level of sound quality as before that so many people love.

That's my take on this, at least. 
cool.gif
  Thoughts,...anyone?

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #204 of 1,668
I'm trying to figure out how they're justifying the cost. 350 dollars for Bluetooth headphones, which even they admit the Bluetooth capability isn't the star of the show in (It's just a "convenience" that they added). Is the new sound signature the reason they're charging more? Or was it just a way to keep the old CFW1's at the same price and not drop them in price? Gotta say, after looking at the competition a bit, V-moda appears to be losing the value battle.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #205 of 1,668
  If that's the case, I don't think they misread the market, really. It's a costs saving matter, same as with CfW1, but way worse. When discussing CfW1, Val was raving about how AptX is not important and AAC is (since it is supported in Apple devices). This time — if all the rumors here are true — he did it on purpose.

This makes sense to me, for this reason.. How else are they going to continue to sell cfw1's if the cfw2 beats it in EVERY aspect?

Edit: I am not stating this as agreement, but as my logical thoughts on the matter.

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #206 of 1,668

That's my take on this, at least. 
cool.gif
  Thoughts,...anyone?

I see what you're saying but V-Moda also has to compete with headphones that have high specs.  They aren't going to make a dent in the average consumer market, that is something that Beats and Bose has a hold over and will continue to have a hold over.  Other companies have tried to take a slice out of the mainstream consumer market.  Sol-Republic is a good example and they even had all sorts of celebrity and DJ endorsement yet they are still an unknown brand and the only thing they've released in the last couple of years is a pair of wireless earbuds.

So V-Moda has to compete with companies that have that little gold, "Hi-Res" sticker on their products.  It is nice that Sony lists all the codecs (and whatnot) that their headphones work with but it's also a marketing ploy.  Are you going to buy a pair of headphones in a box that looks ordinary or are you going to buy headphones that have 2392395487 stickers on them stating things like Hi-Res, aptX, LDAC, mp3, AAC, Bluetooth, Noise Cancellation, etc.?  V-Moda also could have improved on those things you listed, I haven't heard the CF2W's yet so they could very well be an improvement over the M-100's in the areas that you listed.

Right now I am giving them the benefit of the doubt until I actually listen to them.  Yeah, $350 is expensive for a wireless pair of headphones and they're right up there with the Bose QC35's and various other wireless headphones with more features (mainly ANC).  I'm just hoping that their build quality (i.e. not being 95% plastic) and audio quality are enough to keep me pulled in.  At the very least, if they sound like the CFW1's, their audio quality is still going to be above and beyond the QC35's and a bunch of other $300+ wireless headphones I have used.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #208 of 1,668

This makes sense to me, for this reason.. How else are they going to continue to sell cfw1's if the cfw2 beats it in EVERY aspect?

Edit: I am not stating this as agreement, but as my logical thoughts on the matter.

It's not weird to expect a newer product to be better than its predecessor. I mean, what if your next phone was better in every aspect but had half the RAM effectively limiting what you could do with your phone. I can imagine the same for AAC vs regular bluetooth, although this is only theoretically for me as I haven't tested out the differences myself. 

Its more logically to me that they're going to sell the cfw1s at a lower price to clear out everything that's left in stock.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #209 of 1,668
  It's not weird to expect a newer product to be better than its predecessor. I mean, what if your next phone was better in every aspect but had half the RAM effectively limiting what you could do with your phone. I can imagine the same for AAC vs regular bluetooth, although this is only theoretically for me as I haven't tested out the differences myself. 

Its more logically to me that they're going to sell the cfw1s at a lower price to clear out everything that's left in stock.

Logically, yes. However the company was recently taken over by Roland who could have dictated using cheaper radios for cost-cutting/profit-boosting. I don't know if this is the case or how likely it would be but there has been a major event at the top of the company and a change in it's communication style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back