V-Jays Review
Dec 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #92 of 119
Just wanted to say thanks to Mark for the great (and very helpful) review (even if it was a while back now); I bought a pair of these the other day and they are indeed great, especially for the price. A nice alternative to the iems for pottering about in the basement, and I can still hear my surroundings. Oh, and the sound is very nice. Everything in its right place 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #96 of 119
Just got these. Coming from a Sennheiser PX100-II and an IE8, these are definitely a breath of fresh air. I loved its tonal balance, openness and  treble that is very present, but not fatiguing unlike grados. It is much engaging when A/Bing between my previous pairs.

One thing for sure: it sucks when used in public or when used for commuting. Switching back to my daily pair (IE8), it makes the IE8 sound  veiled and less engaging/dynamic when used indoors. When used outdoors/noisy environments, the vjays lose its bottom end and the highs will become too prominent (especially since vehicles tend to cancel out the bass on headphones).

Nevertheless, when used indoors or on quiet environments, this is the best portable headphones I have ever heard.

I have also managed to compare most portables in the store, and these definitely beats almost all of the portables in display including cjays, tma-1, portapro, m50, tracks, px100ii, k450, hd238, etc. I amactually surprised why this particular headphone is not that popular.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #97 of 119
I owned and loved them. Sadly I the left ear pad broke, I tried glueing a couple of time but without luck. Good product, but I wish it were a bit more solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #99 of 119
That's too bad. The headband does seem flimsy; good thing it is very light weight.

Only one thing i've noticed, it lacks treble extension and refinement compared to the ie8s. Any portable headphones you think are better than v-jays in that respect? Or is it still the hd238? Not a fan of closed cans though.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #101 of 119
Mine have been going strong for about a year now.  They are really an amazing little find.  I'm not sure if VJays still sells them.  But a lot of other headphone manufacturers should really take a look at these and try to come up with similar products.  These should have been more mass produced I think.  I'm still amazed that these little things can have such good bass impact while maintaining such clear mid range. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #102 of 119
yup jays still sell them. If i'm not mistaken, there is a v-jays 2 but it is more of a cosmetic update. if anyone here have them, can you compare it to the v-jays 1? It seems what I was able to purchase from a retail store is vjays 1 just this month; so v-jays are still most definitely around but not getting much attention. so far i really love this pair and have not used my ie8s for a while. when going back, despite the ie8s reknowned large soundstage, it sounds so congested & dark compared to the vjays.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #103 of 119
I think I have the V2.  I got mine last summer and I think they have that new look....really I think it's maybe just different wording on the headphone?  I ran across this top 5 portable review not long ago: 

http://gizmodo.com/jays-v_jays/

They rate the V-Jays number 2 behind the px-100ii.  I strongly disagree.  While I find the px-100ii a pretty decent headphone and definitely comfortable, they are pretty veiled in comparison.  I don't get near the detail or mid-range out of my px-100iis.  I guess hearing is subjective, so I can certainly respect their opinion.  I just don't agree with it.  I've never heard the Band & Olufsen's before. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #104 of 119
^^ I agree. I used to have the PX100-II and I recall that switching to IEMs revealed lots of details which I appreciated. But now, coming from a top tier IEM to V-jays, The IEM sounds  veiled and claustrophobic. 

This review was the one that convinced me to try out the v-jays : http://www.headfonia.com/ultra-portable-shootout-px100-px200-portapro-k404-v-jays-tracks-oldskool-and-hd238/4/

It is rated top 1 of the bunch (even including the more expensive hd238). I agree that the treble and mids of the vjays are really good, but I have to admit, I tend to put bass boost on my amp due to the sometimes very slightly lacking in impact on rock & loud tracks.

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #105 of 119
My first post so "Hello" to everyone.
Quote:
Just got these. Coming from a Sennheiser PX100-II....

One thing for sure: it sucks when used in public or when used for commuting. Switching back to my daily pair (IE8), it makes the IE8 sound  veiled and less engaging/dynamic when used indoors. When used outdoors/noisy environments, the vjays lose its bottom end and the highs will become too prominent (especially since vehicles tend to cancel out the bass on headphones).

The same here. I was using PX100 for a while then I switched to PX100-II and they were very nice for outdoor use especially for cycling in town. To be fair PX100-II had some reliability issues with the jack which I didn't experience with the original model - I had 2 replacements from the store in 2 years. Also one of the drivers in my current pair died for no reason whatsoever after less than a year of use. Unfortunately they are out of warranty so I decided to try V-jays after reading all the positive reviews and comments.

So I had them for a few days and this is exactly what I think about them - they suck outdoors. I am not an expert and have never written a headphone review. What I noticed immediately is how much clearer and brighter vjays sounded compared to the PX100-II. I thought they were brilliant and I didn't feel they were lacking anything in the bass department and at the same time providing clearer mids. But as soon as I took them outside I noticed there was something not quite right with them and they didn't sound that nice any more. They were lacking bass and the mid tones suddenly became too crisp (if that's even possible) and almost hurting my ears when listening on the higher volumes. I haven't seen anyone mentioning this before but I feel exactly like mykeldg.

I know they have open design so they will leak sound both ways. But so are PX100s and I've never experienced this with PXs and I've used them for a few years. Maybe it's because they are overly bass rich so when they lose some of that outdoors they still sound quite good. Anyway, as I have no interest of using my portable indoors the vjays are sadly going back and I think I will be back to the PX100s even though I really wanted to try something fresh after such a long time with PX100. I have also been considering HD238 or AKG K420 but hey are probably very similar to PX100s. I was even thinking about getting something more expensive like Audio Technica ES55 (not sure if it's worth it, really) or checking one of the JVCs just to see how they perform. Or maybe I will get a closed design for a change? :)

Anyway, I was quite impressed with the vjays but sadly they didn't work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back