V-Jays Review
Aug 25, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 119
Mark-
Great review.. and the v-Jays sound like they're a winner. Maybe I'll have to pick up a pair for work. The Ultrasones are really a bit of overkill.....

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #21 of 119
I have a pair waiting at the airport. I'm hoping they'll be my beloved AKG K420 replacement and will sooth the betrayal that was the K450.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #22 of 119
nice review, but that thing is soo ugly!! i wouldn't dare to use it on train or bus..

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 119
That's your big contribution? Seriously?

Well ok then, I'll counter it by saying open headphones probably wouldn't be your first choice for use on a train or bus anyway.
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #25 of 119
It looks like the sound was tuned using the thin foams comparable to the thinnest foams in the c-jays. To my ears, the middle foams worked better, albeit, with somewhat thin and peaky mid range. However, I can see that going with the thin foams and working on improving the bass would've worked better for most people's taste. Anyway, it's good to know that they're greatly improved.

Thanks for the review.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #26 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like the sound was tuned using the thin foams comparable to the thinnest foams in the c-jays. To my ears, the middle foams worked better, albeit, with somewhat thin and peaky mid range. However, I can see that going with the thin foams and working on improving the bass would've worked better for most people's taste. Anyway, it's good to know that they're greatly improved.

Thanks for the review.

On c-JAYS the sound is optimized for the mid pads. But some users like the other pads more but personally I prefer the mid pads on c-JAYS.

Regards Peter

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #27 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On c-JAYS the sound is optimized for the mid pads. But some users like the other pads more but personally I prefer the mid pads on c-JAYS.

Regards Peter

Yes. I remember hearing it from you, Peter. After going back and forth between the thin and middle pads, I, too, settled on the mid pads as they sounded the most neutral. The thin pads had more pleasant mids but the bass was somewhat uncontrolled, although I didn't mind the quantity of it. I was hoping to see the mid range of the thin pads and the bass quality/quantity of the mid pads all integrated in one in the next version. Hope it's the case with the v-jays.

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #28 of 119
In order to accurately describe the sound, I'd need to take a screencap from the American Dad episode - 1600 Candles. Specifically, after Roger gets high on icing. That's what these sound like. Also, a screencap of from "In Country...club" where he hears the concert under the influence of the bird...

Either of these is an accurate representation of the sound of the V-Jays.
smily_headphones1.gif

And I'd like to officially join the "They need a pouch! - but thanks for the extra earpads." lobby

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #29 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I remember hearing it from you, Peter. After going back and forth between the thin and middle pads, I, too, settled on the mid pads as they sounded the most neutral. The thin pads had more pleasant mids but the bass was somewhat uncontrolled, although I didn't mind the quantity of it. I was hoping to see the mid range of the thin pads and the bass quality/quantity of the mid pads all integrated in one in the next version. Hope it's the case with the v-jays.

oh they are. they are the c-jays tuned properly and it really is an improvement.

does this recent flurry of interest in these mean they are now available in the US?

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #30 of 119
I'm in Euroland, so I would have gotten them from the UK regardless.

An Oakley large microfiber pouch fits if you close the headphones up all the way. The M-Frame one may fit better, but I don't have those to test. I have a Vaja pouch that's not tall enough.

I hope they make some pouches available to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back