V-DAC, Maverick D1, or Matrix Mini-I
Jun 17, 2010 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Tang-Tonic

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

I am in the process of setting up a nice little system for my family and I. The plan is to stream music from my pc laptop to an airport express using mediamonkey software combined with airfoil. The airport express will be connected to a DAC via optical and then RCA out to my Concept 11.0 receiver and then on to my Klipsch KG4 speakers. I use Ultrasone Proline 550 for my headphones.  I am still waiting on my receiver to get here so in the meantime I am contemplating which DAC to get. 

All the reviews of the V-DAC seem to be very good. My only hold ups on this one are the higher price for very little options and input connections. 

The Maverick Tube Magic seems to have more mixed reviews but overall they seem pretty good. Right now I am leaning towards the maverick for the following: I have the option to listen to solid state or tube. I can start tube rolling which sounds like fun.  It has multiple connections so I can hook up my DVD player, airport express, and future things like maybe a ROKU.  Its about $100 less than the V-DAC. Also from the reviews of my speakers (I haven't heard them yet since I don't have a receiver), it seems that they sound better with tubes. Not sure if a tube DAC quilifies though. 

Now the Matrix Mini-I I seems to get great reviews also, but the price tag is a little higher.  The digital display kinda worries me because its one more thing to fail. 

I would love to hear a few comparisons and opinions on each of these.  I have read the 100+ page thread on the D1 and quite a few threads on the matrix and V-DAC.  If you were me, what would you buy?  Or do you have other suggestions in the under $350 price range?

I listen to all kinds of music but a lot of the stuff I like (reggae, dub, calypso) has heavy bass lines. However, I also like classic rock, blues, jazz, classical, and pretty much anything that has good rythm and harmony.  Ultimatly I want a warm sound with good defined bass, but I also want to hear the detail of the instruments.  I would not consider myself an audiophile, I just like good music, and a nice sounding stereo to play it on.

Thanks for the help!

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 16
haha, I'm in the exact same position, same budget, same considered DACs

I'd also appreciate any input here :)

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 16
I've got the Maverick, but no experience with the other two.  If you do go with the Maverick, you'll want to budget a little bit for opamp rolling as well.  The stock opamps are a little shrill unless you've got some warm 'phones

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 16
based on what I know about the products (specs and such, not sound), I'd say the Maverick D1 goes best with what you're looking to do.  Mainly because there are a bunch of input options more suited to the way you want to setup things.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 16
I'd like to hear some veiws also. I'm in the same position but also considering the beresford caiman and audio-gd FUN. I like the same music/sound signature but will also be using the headphone out.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 16
Matrix is coming out with a new DAC and pictures should be out later today or tomorrow if I'm not wrong. The price will be in the range of the mini-i, but with a better amp from what I have gathered.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 16
Crave  - that will be interesting. There is new stuff coming out everyday and I am after another unit - the Matrix has a great feature set but I was concerned the present version might be a bit underpowered for my AKG702's - do you now of anyone who has tried them with 702's as often only actual listening determines if the synergy is there. ?

thanks

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 16
I have the 701's and the Mini-I are certainly a smidge less than what I was looking for.  But I do mean I smidge...there are plenty of others on these boards who think they work fine.  I have the Mini going out to an M-Stage and that has plenty of juice for me.  If I ever had to go mobile for whatever reason I would take just the Mini and it would certainly suffice in a pinch.  Sorry, I can't speak to the other DACs you've mentioned here.  Both the Matrix and the Maverick ae coming out with new product soon, if they haven't already.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Crave  - that will be interesting. There is new stuff coming out everyday and I am after another unit - the Matrix has a great feature set but I was concerned the present version might be a bit underpowered for my AKG702's - do you now of anyone who has tried them with 702's as often only actual listening determines if the synergy is there. ?

thanks

The topic came out, but the thread seems to have disappeared. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back