Utopia tube amp recommendations
Jul 2, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #16 of 21
A case for the WA8 is that it has a global voltage (I live in Europe ). The Bottleneck is available with 240v as well, but I think this rules out the Kenzie. All the best tube brands are American it seems :)

You could always use a step up transformer although as you pointed out, not necessary with Bottlehead.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #17 of 21
The WA8 and it's built-in DAC are fantastic with the Utopias. It's a perfect match, go for it.

I see that you also have the Violectric. This one is also mentioned as a great match although it’s SS I guess. How do you find that one compared to the WA8?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #18 of 21
I see that you also have the Violectric. This one is also mentioned as a great match although it’s SSI guess. How do you find that one compared to the WA8?
Had... I recently sold it.

The WA8 is a perfect match for the Utopia, it sounds better than the V281. The Utopia are easily driven and don't need all the power the V281 has anyway. I often drive my Abyss from the WA8 as well, and it does a decent job with those too. But it's really special with the Utopia.

Jul 3, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #19 of 21
So has anyone heard or compared the sound of Woo and Bottlehead? I think we’re closing in on something. Haven't been able to find anything on the synergy of Utopia and the Mainline though.. Again, thanks for all the input!

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #20 of 21
Careful with the Utopias ... they need lower amplifier output impedance than most. They are among the most least-damped headphones on the market. (You can see the driver move back and forth in a gentle breeze.) OTL amps are out of the question. Even output transformer-equipped amplifiers may be taxed with the Focal. Most OTPs still have an internal DC resistance that keeps the output impedance higher than desired. Amp comparisons with the HD650 are probably not very useful.

You might try contacting ECP Audio. Dsavitsk has done some groundbreaking work on lowering the output impedance of output transformer amplifiers.

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 21
Took my chances on a Woo WA8 which hopefully will be arriving soon. Thanks for your great input guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back