Utah Has Nothing, I Swear
Sep 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get it and have the wait eat at you slowly like the rest of us.

I didn't realize that Headroom is located in Bozeman, Montana which is about 400 miles North of me. That means that the shipping should be pretty quick! Hopefully I can get them before the weekend so I can enjoy them all weekend long!

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shipping is like $5 bux isn't it?

Sure. And if you don't like the item or if there's something wrong with it, then there's the hassle of shipping it back. There's the PITA of waiting for the item to be shipped. Frankly, if it's not that much more expensive, I'd rather just pay retail. If I could even find anything in retail stores.

But retail stores don't carry anything worth having 90% of the time. You have to go to upclass stores to even have a chance of finding it. Last time I went to Guitar Center, the guy behind the counter was extremely rude. It was like it was a special request for him to open the box and let me see the headphones before I bought them.

The only advantage to ordering anything really is you can find just about anything you want online. I'm still conflicted on whether to order something like headphones. I'm really picky and if I hate them, I'll be pissed that I had to wait even one day for shipping.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 31
So...who wants to start a pro-audio/headphone store in Utah? We need to introduce the population of the state to high quality headphones! 1 out of 3 people I talk to say paying more than $20 for headphones is outlandish...Probably because they've never HEARD good headphones before.

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quake120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...who wants to start a pro-audio/headphone store in Utah? We need to introduce the population of the state to high quality headphones! 1 out of 3 people I talk to say paying more than $20 for headphones is outlandish...Probably because they've never HEARD good headphones before.

It's worse than that - 9 out of 10 probably can't tell or wouldn't value the difference.

I have a good friend in the audio retail business (in ohio) and i don't envy his lifestyle. And he doesn't sell many headphones.

We already have a fair number of music stores (other than guitar center). if they thought they could make money stocking headphones, they probably would.

I forget if you've said what part of utah you're in.

i wonder how many people would show up if we held a meet. I think one of the big attractors of head-fi meets is the people who show up with very high end (or at least very expensive) gear - and i'm not aware of any utah native who can bring that.

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forget if you've said what part of utah you're in.

i wonder how many people would show up if we held a meet. I think one of the big attractors of head-fi meets is the people who show up with very high end (or at least very expensive) gear - and i'm not aware of any utah native who can bring that.

I'm in the Midvale area. I would love to organize some kind of HeadFi meet in Utah, but you are totally right. There aren't many people here that would be able to bring many hi-end audio equipment.

What kind of equipment do you have? Maybe a few of us could meet somewhere and demo some equipment and invite a few non audiophile types. Get a few more people into the hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #22 of 31
most of my gear is listed in my profile. there's an emphasis on bang-for-buck ratio. almost all of it is out of production. And all but one of my headphone amps are hand made by me.

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #24 of 31
yeah, it's a curse

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #25 of 31
At the DC meet, people wanted to hear my "odd ball" stuff (their words). Ericj, you have even more of it then I do. People did bring very high end stuff, so I don't know how many people would show up just to hear my gear. Two people have bought orthos after hearing mine. I don't think anyone bought a float though
duggehsmile.png

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the DC meet, people wanted to hear my "odd ball" stuff (their words). Ericj, you have even more of it then I do. People did bring very high end stuff, so I don't know how many people would show up just to hear my gear. Two people have bought orthos after hearing mine. I don't think anyone bought a float though
duggehsmile.png

The meet in denver hosted by singlepower is the only meet I've attended, so, i'm working with a fairly small sample.

More than half of the people at the denver meet didn't seem to have any interest at all in the huge load of gear i brought.

I don't have any hard feelings about that - all the people i met were nice, and some people did appreciate the introduction to something a little different. And I think there's going to be a bidding war over the next ECR-500 to hit the market.

But more people seemed to be attracted to the substantial amount of very high end gear in the room.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #28 of 31
If no local store, then just buy online.
A lot of us to so, and afaik most of us have been pleased with the result.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quake120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the Midvale area. I would love to organize some kind of HeadFi meet in Utah, but you are totally right. There aren't many people here that would be able to bring many hi-end audio equipment.

What kind of equipment do you have? Maybe a few of us could meet somewhere and demo some equipment and invite a few non audiophile types. Get a few more people into the hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm cool with that

currently I've just got one pair of cans and a decent amp/PSU setup (and some stereo stuff)

as far as why people in Utah don't care about hi-fi audio:
Skullcandy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

spend ten minutes on the U campus, you'll get what I'm saying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back