UTAC Toronto Meet April 7th Impressions!
Apr 8, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #16 of 116
Looks like you guys had a great time, but...

xscuseless1.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #18 of 116
Waiting to get pics from eTe and alexs.

I forgot the mention the Goldrings which had some amazing bass, and even topped the 325s. I discovered something was wrong with the AE-1s. Really bad static with the mids on any headphones and source.

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #19 of 116
Had a good time.

I unfortunately didn't get to check out the Goldrings, PX-100s or SR-225s even though I intended to.

For me, the stars of the show were the K340s and the Lavry. The Lavry just made everything sound so smooth and sweet I was disappointed every time I got kicked off so someone else could enjoy it. It made my Beyers sound happier than they ever have before! Also sounded wonderful with all the pairs of Grados there. As for the K340s, they did everything wonderfully! Massive soundstage; tight, deep bass; luxurious, sensual midrange and sparkling highs. Everything sounded cheaper and less attractive afterwards. Maybe I shouldn't have started with them... Thanks for bringing them Jay!

Also listened to a couple of the pairs of 701s, which I expected to be a bit better after some of the reviews on here, but they were very definitely a solid pair of cans. I don't think I'll rush out to get them, but they were nice.

The HF-1s were another great set of cans. They would have been my favourite Grados if the RS-2s hadn't been there. They sounded absolutely miles ahead of the 325is, which I didn't like at all. Just wish I could've listened to the 225s, it's my biggest regret of the meet.

The A900LTDs were a let-down. I was excited for them, but they sounded AWFUL with anything vocal. They made some of my electronica sound quite nice, but that sucked-out midrange just ruined vocals for me. I will NOT be buying these.

The KSC-75s were exactly what I expected from the reviews here. Like a cheaper Grado, effectively.

I think that's it for my impressions, thanks to everyone who got that organized and no thanks to everyone who whined about Macs or the Asians who had non-English iPods that confused me so.

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 116
First I'd just like to thank bashot and Duke of Eli for getting a room and organizing this meet. Its good to put some faces to names (although I couldn't remember everyone).

Now on to some impressions...

A900LTD - Was looking forward to hearing this as I liked my A500 quite a bit before I sold them. The LTDs were definately more controlled and defined compared to what I remember from A500. The new earpads were also very nice. However, like how others have described, I also found the midrange a bit recessed, although in my case it may be attributed to the fact that I've become accustomed to the prominent midrange on the HF-1s.

K701 - Totally different sound than what I am used to. Everything seemed so spacious and "polite" (again coming from HF-1). A little sibilant to my ears on some tracks but overall quite nice.

KSC-75 - now I know what all the fuss is about
tongue.gif
. Great sounding portables for the money and that was unamped.

I didn't get to spend too much time with the other cans. Would have liked to hear the K340's a little more but no one really knew how to get you own playlist going off the computer.

I was probably more impressed with the amps than with the headphones in attendance. Mainly because I have never really heard my HF-1s through a proper amp. My favourite at the meet would have to be the LaRocco PRII. The HF-1s were clearer than I've ever heard them before and the bass boost knob was just too fun
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was also quite surprised at how small the Hornet actually was.

I was meaning to try the headphone out on the Lavry but that completely slipped my mind. Ah well maybe next time.

Overall a pretty cool night. I am definately going to Philodox's next Hamilton meet
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
I'm still not sure why everyone seemed to have trouble using iTunes last night.

Jagwire was re-ripping all his lossless into 128 kbps ACC
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #23 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
I'm still not sure why everyone seemed to have trouble using iTunes last night.

Not sure either... picking a song on it didn't send that song to the Squeezebox. You had some sort of "Cog" program in the backround but I didn't know how to get/browse/play songs in there.

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #24 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz
Not sure either... picking a song on it didn't send that song to the Squeezebox. You had some sort of "Cog" program in the backround but I didn't know how to get/browse/play songs in there.

Yea, I just let it randomize for like the 2 seconds I got with the K340s before daniel pried it off my head...pics coming in like 30 min.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #27 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzzz

The Squeezebox was disconnected early in the night and Cog was there so that Alucard could play his FLAC files since he refused to listen to anyone elses music.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #28 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Jagwire was re-ripping all his lossless into 128 kbps ACC
evil_smiley.gif

No you moron, it was 192 kbps. I mean AIFF, LOL. Nah, I think it's because macs are retardeder then selling your friend h280's overpriced.

I don't even remember seeking k340's, and definitley did not try them.

ETE, use imageshack.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #30 of 116
hey AWESOME MEET!! thanks to everyone who brought your equipment, especially the guys in back...sorry i was hogging the amp, lol

my impressions:
A900 LTD: i was really looking forward to these as the rest of the guys, i first tried them amped and i must say i was terribly disappointed, they were really muddy...then after remembering someone said they could sound great unamped, i tried that and must say they sounded really nice and clear, bass could have been a bit better though. Also, they were very comfy...but at least now i get an impression on how my A900's will sound

HF-1's: what can i say...it's Grado, first tried them with Ele's amp and damn do these things sound gorgeous...i'm either leaning toward these or the 325i's

HD600's: weird how they both sounded different as many people pointed out, but most likely because one of them wasn't burned in yet. But the burned in one's sounded damn well good.

Grado 325i: the best for last...i couldn't get over how great these were, i was speechless when i heard these. I'm seriously leaning toward these...but if my wallet can't handle it, then i'll go for the HF-1's
too bad i didn't get to try the RS-2

K701's are ok, they sound nice but for that price i would rather get the 325's right now

ohh, it was good to see the GT-R guys again too after a 2 year absence
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back