UTAC Toronto Meet April 7th Impressions!
Apr 10, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #76 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I'm pretty sure anyone who listens to music, or anything really has it to some extent. Right now I can hear a bit of ringing, and i'm 13, it may be some dirty electricity / electricity problem, but I am pretty sure it's not.
Thought I might ask again, does anyone have a full size amp (like gilmore lite) that works well with the 600's they'de consider selling / trading?

I have xbox v1.3 modded with xecuter 3, stock hard drive, etc, gamecube, psp v1.5, 512 mem stick, nintendo ds, and some games. There's a thread in the games section of head-fi, but thought I'de ask here again anyway. I really want an amp now, and would be more then pleased to get stuff I am not using off my back.

That's crazy you have some 600s now and nothing strong enough to drive them. You'll want at least a pa2v2 which is nicely bought from Gary. They were all over the meet. I think I've changed my direction as I just put in an order for PX100s
icon10.gif
. So long HD280s...so long isolation
mad.gif
but they sounded pretty good at the meet and meet my portable needs.

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #77 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
That's crazy you have some 600s now and nothing strong enough to drive them. You'll want at least a pa2v2 which is nicely bought from Gary. They were all over the meet. I think I've changed my direction as I just put in an order for PX100s
icon10.gif
. So long HD280s...so long isolation
mad.gif
but they sounded pretty good at the meet and meet my portable needs.

I want a full size amp though, nothing portable, no reason for me to have portable. I really like the gilmore lite
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #78 of 116
I would totally be up to a meet around a live show. If I'm invited of course :p
But anyway, for my first meet ever I thought it was awesome, and I can't wait for the next one. It was great to talk with all of you (...actually I agree with some others here; I didn't talk to nearly enough people as I wanted to)

Particularly thanks to eli (good luck with HF-1s), philodox (good talking to you on the ride to Union), and GlendaleViper (thanks for bringing your K701s and forcing me to check out some Faith no more stuff :p). Thanks to Pete; was fun talking grados, and hopefully you are liking the SR60s...Im enjoying the PX100s thats for sure. Really is too bad I couldn't get to chat with the rest of you, but like I said there is next time.

As for the meet favourite, I would have to say HF-1's. Testing them against SR225s was fun. I did prefer the HF-1s, but I don't think you're crazy GlendaleViper for liking the SR225s more :p HF-1s I found to be a little darker, a little better in the bass department...I probably liked them more because I haven't heard a grado quite like it before (comparing to MS-1s and Grado SR60s that are now Pete's). SR225's sounded a little bit more familiar.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #79 of 116
Some of you should try to come to the next Hamilton meet... I just got a new toy [look in the source forum] and I'm not lugging it to TO. Also building a balanced tube amp soon that will likely be staying put.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #80 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Some of you should try to come to the next Hamilton meet... I just got a new toy [look in the source forum] and I'm not lugging it to TO. Also building a balanced tube amp soon that will likely be staying put.
evil_smiley.gif

I'll be there possibly, if somebody can bring an amp to definitley trade or sell to me for what I have.

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #81 of 116
My apologies for taking so long to post here, but I've been catching up on some much needed sleep. Like everyone else, I have to thank Duke of Eli and bashot for organizing the meet, I had a great time despite my sleep-less state. And Eli deserves special thanks for his incredible money-counting skills, without which we may have been there all evening.

He will be further pleased to hear that I also loved the HF1. Clearly its praises are well deserved, and those of us who didn't pick one up when we could have been proven to be incredible fools. I was happy to see the RS2 there to compare them to, but I found them overly bright with my PRII - I suspect they would have greatly benefited from some tubes, with which I'd love to give them another shot. Unfortunately, I didn't get time with any of the other Grados there - hopefully next time I'll be better prepared for the abundance of riches.

Most of my listening time was spent comparing Kevin's Turbo and brand new Larocco SilC interconnects with my Black Diamond. While the BD remains my favorite, the Turbo was no slouch for being a value interconnect. The Larocco RCA-mini wasn't burnt in at all and was a bit harsh, but it showed promising detail and I definitely will want to hear it again in the future.

Other odds and ends...Hearing the Hornet for the first time, my first impression was that I found the SR71 far to my preference, but I really would like more time with it...Judging by the crowd around them all night long, Jason's k340 setup must have been incredible, so I have to make sure to beeline for them next time around...The Goldrings Kevin brought were a surprise. I only heard them for a few minutes, but I'd definitely like to spend more time with this pair of cans once burned in. They show a lot of promise, especially for the price, and I expect to hear more of them in the future.

As to having a meet around a live show, my vote would be against that idea. Definitely checking out some favorite local bands would be cool, but I wouldn't be comfortable bringing my gear along for the ride. Perhaps it might work better if such an event was organized around the gear-less meet that was mentioned?

Apr 11, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #82 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xert
My apologies for taking so long to post here, but I've been catching up on some much needed sleep. Like everyone else, I have to thank Duke of Eli and bashot for organizing the meet, I had a great time despite my sleep-less state. And Eli deserves special thanks for his incredible money-counting skills, without which we may have been there all evening.

He will be further pleased to hear that I also loved the HF1. Clearly its praises are well deserved, and those of us who didn't pick one up when we could have been proven to be incredible fools. I was happy to see the RS2 there to compare them to, but I found them overly bright with my PRII - I suspect they would have greatly benefited from some tubes, with which I'd love to give them another shot. Unfortunately, I didn't get time with any of the other Grados there - hopefully next time I'll be better prepared for the abundance of riches.

Most of my listening time was spent comparing Kevin's Turbo and brand new Larocco SilC interconnects with my Black Diamond. While the BD remains my favorite, the Turbo was no slouch for being a value interconnect. The Larocco RCA-mini wasn't burnt in at all and was a bit harsh, but it showed promising detail and I definitely will want to hear it again in the future.

Other odds and ends...Hearing the Hornet for the first time, my first impression was that I found the SR71 far to my preference, but I really would like more time with it...Judging by the crowd around them all night long, Jason's k340 setup must have been incredible, so I have to make sure to beeline for them next time around...The Goldrings Kevin brought were a surprise. I only heard them for a few minutes, but I'd definitely like to spend more time with this pair of cans once burned in. They show a lot of promise, especially for the price, and I expect to hear more of them in the future.

As to having a meet around a live show, my vote would be against that idea. Definitely checking out some favorite local bands would be cool, but I wouldn't be comfortable bringing my gear along for the ride. Perhaps it might work better if such an event was organized around the gear-less meet that was mentioned?

Thanks dude ocne again for selling your 600's to me at such a great price. I am sorry for teasing you (and I am sorry that without food my brain does not have the energy it needs to compute what 10 bills times 20 is). Out of curiousity, what amp were you using with them? I am so sad I have no AMP/DAC, yet I have a pileload of these consoles I don't use and want to get rid of.

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #83 of 116
Meeting around a show "gearless" is definitely a good idea. We can meet up before hand and grab a pint or a coffee (I usually opt for pints of coffee or coffee porter beer :p). I don't think having gear is necessary besides. Why do we obsess over quality sound? The music! So long as we can agree on an event, I think we can pull it off by talking music before the show and blowing out the eardrums during.
basshead.gif

Anyone else know of anything coming up that interests them?

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #84 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
evil_smiley.gif

I'll be living in Hamilton next year.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #85 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
I'll be living in Hamilton next year.

Cool, I'll count you in then.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #87 of 116
Quote:

Thanks dude ocne again for selling your 600's to me at such a great price. I am sorry for teasing you (and I am sorry that without food my brain does not have the energy it needs to compute what 10 bills times 20 is). Out of curiousity, what amp were you using with them? I am so sad I have no AMP/DAC, yet I have a pileload of these consoles I don't use and want to get rid of.

It's all good Brian. I was switching between the PRII and my SR71 with the 600s, both of them which managed to drive it well.

And it's nice to see someone else appreciating the coffee porter - definitely good stuff.

Apr 11, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #88 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xert
It's all good Brian. I was switching between the PRII and my SR71 with the 600s, both of them which managed to drive it well.

And it's nice to see someone else appreciating the coffee porter - definitely good stuff.

Coffe porter? What are you going to do with your woodies (would have never known they were installed, you did a nice job reapplying the stock grills.) Also, I am not farmiliar with your amps, but if they are full size amps, have you considered selling?

I know i'm being a nag.. but.. lol.

Apr 11, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #89 of 116
Quote:

Coffe porter? What are you going to do with your woodies (would have never known they were installed, you did a nice job reapplying the stock grills.) Also, I am not farmiliar with your amps, but if they are full size amps, have you considered selling?

I know i'm being a nag.. but.. lol.

Lol, I'd like to be there again when you pony up the cash for an SR-71. or PRII. You may not want to start with something so expensive.

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #90 of 116
Eli, I wouldn't dream of doing a deal without you.

The woodies I'll sell as soon as I get around to photographing them, but when you combine my busy schedule with my naturally lazy character, who knows when I shall be so inspired to accomplish such a feat.

Both the SR71 and the PRII are highly regarded, but, as Eli pointed out, rather expensive amps. The PRII retails at $479US stock, and with my blackgate upgrade it runs to $529, while Ray sells the SR71 for $395. I've thought about getting rid of the SR71, but I've never quite managed to part with it yet.

Coffee Porter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back