USS George H.W. Bush reporting for duty!
Jan 10, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 25
Great video Cash, you did an outstaning job matching the Richard Rodgers musical score.

This is the USS Yorktown at Patriots Point across the Cooper River from Charleston SC. The Yorktown has a beam of 147 ft., the Bush 252 ft.

100_2720.jpg

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 25
Thanks guys. It was my dad's xmas present this year.
smily_headphones1.gif
What's cool is right aroudn the footage of the bag, you see a guy operating a weird machine. He's taking in slack and putting out wire to keep the bag out of the water, but preventing the cable from snapping.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #18 of 25
What part of "no political posts" do you guys fail to understand? It would seem to be the "no", because clearly you have no trouble with the "political posts" part.

To the OP: Thanks for reminding me. It's always an exciting day when a new ship, particularly an aircraft carrier, sets sail.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He [George HW Bush, the elder] gave his life to service of this country.

As far as I know, he's still alive and doing well. He's distinctly not-at-all dead!

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Navy names their ships. GHWB was a honored and distinguished Navy veteran and 41st president. He gave his life to service of this country and this is how the country shows it's gratitude.

This is the Father Bush.

I'm grinning at the thought of the USS William Jefferson Clinton and USS Barack Hussein Obama.

the USS Jimmy Carter is a Seawolf class nuclear submarine named for the only president to have been submarine certified. it is the largest of the Seawolf subs, and it is outfitted to launch Navy SEAL missions.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 25
Those are really impressive ships!!!

Portugal doesn't have any aircraft carriers, but I remember when an US carrier was in Lisbon for a week.

Huge crowds of people came to the river to see that huge ship!

I've sailed in the Tagus for 10 years seing all sorts of tankers, big ships and the sort, and none was as big as that aircraft carrier.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Very cool. How long does it take to build one of these leviathans?

"The next generation of carrier, the GERALD R. FORD Class (the lead ship hull number will be CVN 78), is programmed to start construction in 2007 and is slated to be delivered in 2015 to replace USS Enterprise (CVN 65). CVN 79 is programmed to begin construction in 2012 and to be placed in commission in 2018."

Comments from The US Navy fact file The US Navy -- Fact File

Users who are viewing this thread

Back