USPS Priority Mail International (USA - Australia)
Sep 26, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #46 of 56
Thanks mate, the info you have provided is priceless.
I am eagerly awaiting my parcel from us as well and here are my timelines.

Sadly, no update since last 6 days.
  1. Priority Mail International Parcels

Features:

1. International Parcels

DATE & TIME
STATUS OF ITEM
Processed Through Sort Facility

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 

Your item was processed through our ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) facility on September 21, 2014 at 8:15 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

September 21, 2014 , 8:13 am
Arrived at Sort Facility
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 
September 21, 2014 , 1:58 am
Departed USPS Facility
KEARNY, NJ 07032 
September 20, 2014 , 9:15 pm
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
KEARNY, NJ 07032

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #48 of 56
=) The next thing that will show up on your tracking info is "Processed through sort facility: Australia" meaning that it has arrived on our end. If you are not in a major city, it will probably take another day or two to get to where you are. I live in Albany WA and my package took 2-3 days to get to the post office here after it first arrived in Australia.

Let us know when it shows up, it can't be too far away. I think there's a short to moderate delay in updating various stages of the tracking depending on where it is and who's got it (US or Australia Post). Incidentally, USPS tracking doesn't indicate where my parcel showed up in Australia, i.e. it could have been Perth or Sydney or elsewhere, I'm guessing it was Perth but I don't know.

USPS quotes 3-5 business days' delivery for Priority Mail Express and 6-10 business days for International Priority Mail. The second one I can verify as my last order took 7 business days or 10 days total to arrive. Anecdotal reports from buyers say 2-4 weeks for First Class International. I'm not that familiar with this postage option so I couldn't say, although I do have a package on its way that I ordered First Class postage for. I'm expecting it to show up at the end of this week or the some time next week.

On Friday I placed another order with the Priority Mail Express option, which costs like US$60. Anyone who wants stuff FAST, Priority Express is the way to go, that is if you are happy to shell out a large fee just for postage.

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #49 of 56
Hows this one I have some tubes from the US incoming they made it to my local FedEx office on the first of October but because they are "not due for delivery" they will sit in a bin until the tenth
Is that ridiculous ?

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #50 of 56
^ Sounds a bit frustrating. Did you just pay for regular shipping or priority mail?

I get impatient waiting for my stuff even when it does show up in the quoted timeframe... It's been 3 business days since my USPS express delivery was shipped from Florida. I know it can take up to 5 business days to arrive, but I want it now!

I've always wondered what is involved in the processing and delivery of my mail, though I imagine the procedure is more or less as follows:

a) [Post office allows carrier pigeon to rest for 1-2 days before commencing next delivery]
b) Express Post parcel securely attached to carrier pigeon
c) Pigeon flies Perth-Albany; total flight duration 82 hours
d) Pigeon arrives at Albany DC post office three and a half days after initial despatch of parcel
e) Post office arbitrarily decides to hold my item for 4-5 days after it arrives

:p

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #51 of 56
Australia post only tracks the following two stages of international priority shipping:

• Accepted by Australia Post (item is lodged)
  • Delivered

According to their website, "Tracking descriptions... may receive fewer or additional scans during the delivery process." My last successful order received two additional scans, and was tracked as follows after it arrived in Australia:

1. Processed through sort office
2. Arrival at post office
3. Missed delivery - Scheduled for another delivery attempt today
4. Delivered

So Australia Post recorded its arrival at the [local] post office shortly before recording it as delivered. What I don't understand is why it would have been recorded as a missed delivery when I have a PO box at the post office... unless they couldn't find my PO box the first time?! Bizarre

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #52 of 56
Sorry to flood you all with information you may or may not need, but I thought I should indicate that Australia Post's tracking service can be useful for finding out a few extra details. For example, it indicated where in Australia my parcel arrived: Melbourne, Victoria. From http://auspost.com.au/track/:

Tue 30 Sep 2014 12:40 Arrived at facility in destination country MELBOURNE VIC

I'm ordering from WA, and I am guessing the parcel will have shown up in Perth by now. What I'd like to know is whether parcels come down from Perth only once a day, or more often.

It would be nice if it was on its way now and I could drop by this afternoon and find my collection slip there. If not, I will be berserk with rage :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #53 of 56
  ^ Sounds a bit frustrating. Did you just pay for regular shipping or priority mail?

:p

Ebay Global shipping program , I expected it to be a slow ship and was pleasantly surprised to see the parcel had landed in my local capital well ahead of schedule
Then for two days in a row tracking indicated the parcel as not due for delivery
So I made an inquiry and was told it would not be available until the tenth of October
I purchase too much on line and sometimes shipping is slow sometimes it is fast but to hold a package that was fast just because I didn't buy the premium service is stupid
I look at it a bit like getting an upgrade at the airport , it's not something you expect but it's great when it happens
FedEx had an opportunity to make a customer happy but have put policy in place to prevent that , great way to run a business

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #54 of 56
My parcel arrived today.
It was never trackable on auspost and the last update at usps and trackit.ru was 2 days back when the shipment arrived in aus.

For the reference of members and googler's pls find the timelines of the parcel to Syd.

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:

1. Priority Mail International Parcels

Features:

1. International Parcels

DATE & TIME
STATUS OF ITEM

AUSTRALIA

Your item was processed through a facility in AUSTRALIA on September 30, 2014 at 11:03 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

September 21, 2014 , 8:15 am
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 
September 21, 2014 , 8:13 am
Arrived at Sort Facility
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 
September 21, 2014 , 1:58 am
Departed USPS Facility
KEARNY, NJ 07032 
September 20, 2014 , 9:15 pm
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
KEARNY, NJ 07032 
September 20, 2014 , 4:04 pm
Departed Post Office
JERSEY CITY, NJ 07306 
September 20, 2014 , 12:43 pm
Acceptance
JERSEY CITY, NJ 07306 

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #55 of 56
Dear Head-Fi'ers,

I recently ordered something from the USA to be shipped to Australia, the shipping was via USPS Priority Mail International (sadly, Fedex cost almost 70% more during checkout).

As I track my parcel, I've been wondering: how many times must my parcel go through these "sort facilities" before it will actually depart the USA proper?
Or if you've ever used USPS to ship out from the USA (or if you're generally familiar with USPS), how do they usually fare?
What was the longest (and shortest) and median time it takes for them to deliver? e.g. how long to reach your country, and how long more to reach your address? (since the handling responsibility is often transferred to the local postman once it reaches your country)

As at this moment, it has already been "processed" and "departed" at 1 "Origin Sort Facility" in Great Falls, MT 59404 and after that "processed through" and "departed" another "Sort Facility" at San Francisco, CA 94188. After departing the facility at San Francisco, it is now being "processed through" another "Sort Facility" in Los Angeles, CA 90009. Essentially, almost 4 working days spent sorting; bearing in mind 6-10 business days is their target for delivery (just putting it out there).

I've used DHL in the past; before the parcel got processed and shipped out from the USA at the international hub in Cincinnati it only required processing once at the receiving city, Portland. While it is probably unreasonable to expect USPS to perform up to par with DHL (or Fedex etc.), it'd be good to know what Head-Fi'ers think of their international performance.

[TL;DR: How long does USPS take to ship out of the USA in general? What has your experience been like with their international services?]

Thanks.
I am a frequent USPS intnl shipper from the Orlando FL area , almost all are via intnl express. I see that the majority of them go to Miami as the departure point. Following Irma Miami is still in bad shape.
I am therefore worried if the express package to Australia may end up in Miami ! In the past some of my express packages have departed from Dallas, Chicago etc. Does anyone know if there is a designated
express mail departure to Australia from USA. I asked the question to USPS Intnl phone desk , to no avail !! Perhaps a frequent shipper to Australia may have an answer for me. Thanks

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #56 of 56
Going the other way.....

Ordered a new Jacaru from Oz to replace my old one. It took about 7 working days via Auspost. Tracking showed it hitting US Customs in NY and then nothing for a few days. Then delivered. So once it hits customs I think the tracking liability ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back