USPS Priority Mail International (USA - Australia)
Mar 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #16 of 56
Quote:
With USPS priority mail (despite the 'fancy' name, it's terrible), you usually won't see anything until the damn thing arrives at your door, but make sure you're checking the Auspost site's tracking, as that updates first once it's in the country.

Only USPS Express mail has decent tracking, the priority mail tracking is kind of just like delivery confirmation, it's no good for ascertaining when the delivery will arrive.

Hi deadlylover,

thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'm kinda depending on auspost now. It's just that it seems my parcel is in limbo - out of USPS's sights but still not yet traceable on auspost.

Do you know how long auspost holds parcels? some googling said 5 biz days, some 10, so I'm not sure.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #17 of 56
Originally Posted by EasySounds /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah I'm kinda depending on auspost now. It's just that it seems my parcel is in limbo - out of USPS's sights but still not yet traceable on auspost.

Do you know how long auspots holds parcels? some googling said 5 biz days, some 10, so I'm not sure.

Ah don't sweat it, that's normal for priority tracking.

The parcel is probably sitting in a warehouse queue to be flown, or it has arrived and it's sitting in a biiiig pile waiting to be processed in Australia. As I said, there's a chance it won't actually be scanned until it's delivered (ie, you won't actually know it safely arrived in Australia from the tracking).

I'd say you'll get the delivery some time this week, or early next week if you're unlucky. I usually get my USPS priority mail anywhere between 7-14 days, and my First class mail in 14-20 days.

I have no idea how long customs holds packages, my express stuff seems to be passed through within a day, but I can't really say how long they hold priority mail for as the tracking is crappy (really, I can't stress this enough, don't bother looking at it =P).

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Ah don't sweat it, that's normal for priority tracking.

The parcel is probably sitting in a warehouse queue to be flown, or it has arrived and it's sitting in a biiiig pile waiting to be processed in Australia. As I said, there's a chance it won't actually be scanned until it's delivered (ie, you won't actually know it safely arrived in Australia from the tracking).

I'd say you'll get the delivery some time this week, or early next week if you're unlucky. I usually get my USPS priority mail anywhere between 7-14 days, and my First class mail in 14-20 days.

I have no idea how long customs holds packages, my express stuff seems to be passed through within a day, but I can't really say how long they hold priority mail for as the tracking is crappy (really, I can't stress this enough, don't bother looking at it =P).

Hey deadlylover,

thanks for the reply.

Here's hoping I'm lucky :p Getting it this week would be great, plan on testing them during the weekend. As for tracking...  yeah I guess I get what I pay for (not mad about it... since I opted for it instead of Express haha).

Wasn't asking about customs though (although it would be interesting to know); I was wondering how long auspost would keep my parcel with them at the local postbox in case I wasn't at home for the delivery.

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #19 of 56
Originally Posted by EasySounds /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wasn't asking about customs though (although it would be interesting to know); I was wondering how long auspost would keep my parcel with them at the local postbox in case I wasn't at home for the delivery.

From memory it was 5 business days.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #21 of 56
My parcels were from one order sent on the same day as one shipment.

The problem is that not all of the parcels in the order make it on the same carriers all the time.
From the sender they are most probably on the same truck to the distribution point.
At the distribution point the parcels are separated to different areas to go to different destinations.
The parcels of a shipment aren't usually kept together here, but are treated a individual items.
Here it depends on the quantity of parcels going to the next location in the chain.
There could be more than one container or truck/van delivering to the next location.
If the parcels are in trucks/vans then there is more chance of separation.
In my case this resulted in theree parcels being separated and having different arrival times due to the amount of goods being sent.

Mouser:- http://au.mouser.com/aboutus/

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:
My parcels were from one order sent on the same day as one shipment.

The problem is that not all of the parcels in the order make it on the same carriers all the time.
From the sender they are most probably on the same truck to the distribution point.
At the distribution point the parcels are separated to different areas to go to different destinations.
The parcels of a shipment aren't usually kept together here, but are treated a individual items.
Here it depends on the quantity of parcels going to the next location in the chain.
There could be more than one container or truck/van delivering to the next location.
If the parcels are in trucks/vans then there is more chance of separation.
In my case this resulted in theree parcels being separated and having different arrival times due to the amount of goods being sent.

Mouser:- http://au.mouser.com/aboutus/

That is indeed strange - you'd think that USPS would just consolidate them since they were all going to the same destination... but who knows how they work?

As for my parcel, it has been in limbo for 3 days (although googling + forums give me the feeling that many people have endured worse)

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #23 of 56
Quote:
That is indeed strange - you'd think that USPS would just consolidate them since they were all going to the same destination... but who knows how they work?

As for my parcel, it has been in limbo for 3 days (although googling + forums give me the feeling that many people have endured worse)

Being in Limbo is the worse.
What's the tracking status?

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #24 of 56
Quote:
Being in Limbo is the worse.
What's the tracking status?

Hey kookoo,

Latest update is "processed through sort facility" at ISC Los Angeles and that was roughly 2-3 days ago.  Hasn't come up on auspost yet, hopefully it appears tomorrow so I can collect before fri (auspost is closed this fri). Although I do wonder if Easter affects USPS/Auspost's operations since there might be a massive flood of mail.

And yes, I'm impatient! 
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #26 of 56
Quote:
I always work on the assumption that during a major holiday event that yes there will be delays.
well 3 days ago, hopefully it'll come soon

Seems like a 'realistic' delivery date - esp since it's during a holiday - would be either next week or the week following that; but the optimist always hopes for the best!

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:
Latest update is "processed through sort facility" at ISC Los Angeles and that was roughly 2-3 days ago.  Hasn't come up on auspost yet, hopefully it appears tomorrow so I can collect before fri (auspost is closed this fri). Although I do wonder if Easter affects USPS/Auspost's operations since there might be a massive flood of mail.

I've had a parcel in that situation for 4 days. I went to go shopping - and there was the parcel on the front porch.
No doorknock, no door bell, no nothing.
Checked the tracking status. Still no movement.
Checked when I came back from shopping and it showed up as delivered.

The same situation again at another time and it sat in Australia Post's facility for 3 days
It was then on the delivery truck and showed up next day.
Effectively it hit Auspost on Monday and was delivered on the Friday.

Nobody thinks to print out these events.

I once got into a fight over the phone over a parcel that was undelivered and there was a note in the screen door saying I should make arrangements to pick it up from their distribution centre.
I happened to be at home that day.
The note stated that the delivery was attempted at 2:30pm. I was in the living room between 1pm and 3pm.
They finally agreed to deliver the next day after I told them that the delivery dude should ring the doorbell and not just stick the note in the screen door because he was running late in his delivery round.
The parcel showed up the next day without any problems because the doorbell rang and was answered.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #28 of 56
I've had something similar happen to me as well, I got a FINAL notice to pick up my parcel when in fact I never got any notice at all to pick up any of my parcels. Their records showed that it has been sitting in the post office for a while. Needless to say i was less than impressed and they certainly knew about it

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #30 of 56
Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have to deal with Australia Post Cabramatta branch?

There's always a long line of people paying their bills.

A few years back I applied for a passport, and Australia Post lost the damn thing despite it being sent by registered mail.

I had to pop by the passport office to get a new one printed the day before my flight. Funnily enough, the 'lost' passport arrived at my home whilst I was overseas (took 1 month), go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back