USPS injured my Melos!
Jun 21, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #16 of 38
It looks like it wasn't properly packed. Not USPS's problem. How was the outside box?

The Putty stuff looks like it's probably some feeble attempt at case damping?

Show a picture of the box and packing material to establish the quality of packing.

If it was shipped in "Only" the factory box then it wasn't properly packed. Yup not properly packed.

Lots of shippers won't pay damage claims if it was shipped in a used box. The Melos has been out of production for a long time and the original box Is Not addequate for safely shipping the amp. Sadly you've seen the results.

This might seem harsh but that's just the way it is.

Mitch

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
If it was shipped in "Only" the factory box then it wasn't properly packed. Yup not properly packed.

Lots of shippers won't pay damage claims if it was shipped in a used box. The Melos has been out of production for a long time and the original box Is Not addequate for safely shipping the amp. Sadly you've seen the results.

True, mine was within the original Melos box too but was packaged in a sturdy new box with a crapload of bubble pack everywhere but he didn't removed the tubes from the amp but they're just the stock sovtek 6922 anyway... lol

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 38
oh that box was definitely dropped and the amp went right through that foam.

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like it wasn't properly packed. Not USPS's problem. How was the outside box?

The Putty stuff looks like it's probably some feeble attempt at case damping?

Show a picture of the box and packing material to establish the quality of packing.

Mitch

Thats the box it was shipped in. The simple fact is, its obvious they dropped it. If some USPS employee had not been careless, it would not have been damaged. Does that then place the fault on the shipper, or USPS? I don't know... but I certainly don't think think it should be necessary to package items as though someone is going to play soccer with them.

Time will tell, I am going to see what USPS does about an insurance claim before I go after the Seller.

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I found odd is the packaging looked ok. This thing would be tough to bend like there, and there is nothing on the packaging that looks like it was dropped.

Quote:

Also, on closer inspection, one corner of the box is torn, and the packing inside is mashed up... I missed that before. You can see here evidence that suggests it was dropped:

Oh OK. Now these are two distinctly different statements.

The damage can be surmised from these box pics.

It sucks to get a new toy and have to deal with crap before you can enjot it, especially after laying out the mula.

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh OK. Now these are two distinctly different statements.

The damage can be surmised from these box pics.

It sucks to get a new toy and have to deal with crap before you can enjot it, especially after laying out the mula.

Yeah... I didn't inspect it really close the first time. I guess I figured that the force it took to bend that would do a bit more to the box.

And yeah, it does suck. At least I can use it for now though.

Jun 21, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #25 of 38
And yet another couple of folks join the "Melos damaged in shipping" club. I sold mine to LexTek about (4) years ago, and it arrived damaged at his place. Cost me $350 or so to fix it IIRC.
frown.gif
USPS wouldn't pay anything to LexTek or I as the box was in perfect shape on the outside. Must have had just enough shock damage from a flat impact to dislodge something important I guess.

Sorry to hear about the damaged amps you gots are dealing with. I LOVED the sound of mine when I rolled in some Amperex, Orange Globe A frame dimple getter tubes. The sound was dramatically better to my ears, and I never found anything else that compared. I never used some 7308s, so I can't comment on how they sound.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Thats the box it was shipped in. The simple fact is, its obvious they dropped it. If some USPS employee had not been careless, it would not have been damaged. Does that then place the fault on the shipper, or USPS? I don't know... but I certainly don't think think it should be necessary to package items as though someone is going to play soccer with them.

Time will tell, I am going to see what USPS does about an insurance claim before I go after the Seller.

I do when it comes to tube amps..I even bubble wrap
each tube along with another material then tape it..& seal it in a box with foam..But, hey, thats just me..
eggosmile.gif
I ship as if I was shipping to myself..

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ship as if I was shipping to myself..

If we all did that, then we all could send ourselves some cool stuff
icon10.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #28 of 38
I'm sure you can talk to anyone with access to raw material and the machinery and they can probably fab you a replacement panel. It might cost a ton ;p A couple hundred at the least but... probably cheaper than finding a dead Melos
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yet another couple of folks join the "Melos damaged in shipping" club. I sold mine to LexTek about (4) years ago, and it arrived damaged at his place. Cost me $350 or so to fix it IIRC.
frown.gif
USPS wouldn't pay anything to LexTek or I as the box was in perfect shape on the outside. Must have had just enough shock damage from a flat impact to dislodge something important I guess.

Sorry to hear about the damaged amps you gots are dealing with. I LOVED the sound of mine when I rolled in some Amperex, Orange Globe A frame dimple getter tubes. The sound was dramatically better to my ears, and I never found anything else that compared. I never used some 7308s, so I can't comment on how they sound.

There is visible damage on the box... so hopefully they will see its their problem and correct it. Will probably find out tomorrow.

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #30 of 38
Just for *****... two thoughts are brewing in my mind.

For starters, I sent a letter via snail mail to Melos Innovations. By the looks of it the company isn't established yet, but maybe I can get lucky and the letter will fall into Mark Porzilli's hands... surely he has to have a few dead amps on hand that he could yank the face plate off? One can hope.

Also, I have had this evil little thought in the back of my head. Maybe this is a sign that its time to brush up on my wood work and make a sexy, one of a kind enclosure for this amp? My only concern would be heat from the tubes, but maybe I can figure something out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back