Using Two iPods with One Instance of iTunes
Sep 28, 2006 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Laptopia

500+ Head-Fier
I have two identical 60gig 5G iPod Videos. Is it possible to assign different "identities" to each (I've named them when queried), so that they are synched with different libraries when updated?

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 18
You will want to change the method of updating ipods from 'automatic' to 'manual' if there is memory capacity left in both of the ipods. If left on automatic, all new entries into the music library will automatically be loaded into all ipods connected. There will be two different ipod icons with their respective names listed when they are both connected. When 'manual' is designated, you then drag the song(s) over to the appropriate icon for updating one ipod as opposed to the other.

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 18
What about maintaining different file types? I have a 30G on which I want everything in Apple lossless for best sq. I just bought a 4G Nano for use in the gym. I don't need best sq for that and would prefer having compressed music files to get more music on the Nano.

I'm pretty sure that it can be done. The question is how to do it. Does anybody know?

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 18
what i did when i had my 4G iPod and iPod Nano was to create 2 profiles on your computer. easier for me as i didn't want to do a manual update. thank god for autofill for the Shuffle.

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 18
Set one to sync manually and put the files on and delete them directly on the iPod when it's docked to iTunes.

Or you could find a third party application that allows you to maintain multiple iTunes libraries and switch between them. For the mac the applescript you want is called iTunes Library Manager. I'm sure there's something similar for peecees.

See ya
Steve

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Set one to sync manually and put the files on and delete them directly on the iPod when it's docked to iTunes.

Or you could find a third party application that allows you to maintain multiple iTunes libraries and switch between them. For the mac the applescript you want is called iTunes Library Manager. I'm sure there's something similar for peecees.

See ya
Steve

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on iLounge that the new iTunes can handle multiple libraries...sorry I can't remember more, though. It was on the iTunes 7.0 guide they published last week ish

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 18
Here's something you can try: Create a separate iTunes library. On a Mac, all you need to do is hold down the "option" key while starting up iTunes and you can choose between different libraries. I believe this is an iTunes 7.0.1 feature so it might not be in earlier versions. If you have a PC, try using some other modifier key--perhaps control or alt. See if that allows you to sync different iPods with different libraries.

[edit] Just tried on my roommate's PC. It's the Shift key for PC's.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 18
The_X you are my hero!
eggosmile.gif

I wanted to do this with a separate library for my shuffle with all 175kbps AAC files, now I can!

Thanks a ton!

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 18
COOLEST THING EVAR. I used the shift key, found an old copy of my intunes 6 library, and bingo, all my old playlists (of which i had a TON) now survive! downside? itunes 7 is busy arting and gaplessing my poor old library, hehe. good news is that the new library is still around - it's just a shift click away!

Sep 28, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 18
You definitely don't have to create separate libraries. Just have a playlist for each ipod (can even be a smart playlist). Set each ipod to sync to it's own playlist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back