Using the T-2 Amplifier with Audio Engine A5's (they are self powered speakers, can I do this?)
May 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

christophhh

New Head-Fier
I have a Neuhaus Laboratories T-2 Amplifier and a pair of Audio Engine A5's - 

I want to hook the tube amp up to the Audio Engine A5's but obviously they are self powered speakers. 

Can I do this without creating a problem? I was reading on AE's website and it seems they said it was OK to hook up receivers and amps to their active/self powered speakers.

Any help would be massively appreciated! 

T-2 Specs

Audio Engine A5 Specs

May 15, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 4
You can hook the A5s to a receiver or amp that has a line output. The T-2 appears to only have line inputs and then powered outputs for passive speakers.

May 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Can I do this without creating a problem? I was reading on AE's website and it seems they said it was OK to hook up receivers and amps to their active/self powered speakers.

They mean amps and receivers that have a line output, variable or not. For example, on a NAD amplifier, there's a tape loop that you can use to route the input signal to any other amplifier (like a headphone amp, or the amp on an active speaker), or you can use its preamp output, basically turning the integrated amp into just a preamp. You cannot just hook up a high-level output out of your amp and hook that up to the low level input of your active speakers - there's a reason why there are no cables available.

What you can do is get a tube preamp, or a tube amp with an auxilliary preamp output (like on the NADs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back